Norwegian Joy adding more cabins and removing spaces in January 2024

shof515

I just hope the change to the OL doesn't trickle down to the Bliss.  I have a feeling they're doing this to the Joy because of the previous configuration and services possibly still being in place for cabins, to some extent, while the Bliss won't have that and would take more work to add the cabins in that space.  I suppose I could lump the Encore into that wish, though with the lack of Spice on that ship I may not sail on her so I don't deserve an opinion.

2 hours ago, Pitzel said:

On the Bliss, there is a much larger Splash Academy, Entourage, and arcade than on the Joy — all of which are on Bliss’s deck 5. There is a lot of crew space on Joy’s deck 5 that could be converted over in a similar fashion. 

I'm sure the crew would appreciate that.  But hey, if we have to lose some of our OL...

I'm not all that upset about losing the Galaxy or the Lazer tag....but I think this ship already has enough passengers. More cabins ='s more passengers...making the Observation lounge smaller so less seating...more people ='s less available seating ect. A Termal spa is a good idea. I also don't think this ship needs more Vib space. From what I hear it is never crowded in the one they alrady have.  How about something new for the kids or another entertainment venue for movies, a piano bar, or another free all night restaurant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uneamie said:

I'm not all that upset about losing the Galaxy or the Lazer tag....but I think this ship already has enough passengers. More cabins ='s more passengers...making the Observation lounge smaller so less seating...more people ='s less available seating ect. A Termal spa is a good idea. I also don't think this ship needs more Vib space. From what I hear it is never crowded in the one they alrady have.  How about something new for the kids or another entertainment venue for movies, a piano bar, or another free all night restaurant. 

I agree that more cabins= more people and that more people =  a more crowded ship. Not good.

But  the reason that the Vibe is never crowded is that it is intentionally kept to a small amount of people to make it more secluded with enough space and chairs for those who buy its passes. Passes for the Vibe are competitive and often sell out months before the cruise.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I’ll be your friend. 😊

oh wait, I think we’re already friends in some odd way🤓😇🤣

The internet has a way of making that happen. 🙂 As I've told others on here, I'd love to cruise with you at some point in the future. Perhaps in a more streamlined Observation Lounge on Joy. 

• Thanks 1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that the Joy was originally built for the Asian market, and that it was thought that a Thermal suite/spa wasn't a priority for that market? Again, I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read that on here a few years ago.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that the Joy was originally built for the Asian market, and that it was thought that a Thermal suite/spa wasn't a priority for that market? Again, I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read that on here a few years ago.

Yes, you are correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is the thread on the "Westernization"

You can actually see in that thumbnail and in the first couple pictures how much smaller the OL was, on both sides of the ship.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

The new H2:

NCL_Joy_Haven_H2 Premier Owner’s Suite_Bedroom.jpg

NCL_Joy_Haven_H2 Premier Owner’s Suite_Dining.jpg

NCL_Joy_Haven_H2 Premier Owner’s Suite_Lounge.jpg

NCL_Joy_Haven_H2 Premier Owner’s Suite_Schematic.jpg

It looks like they are getting rid of the Haven library, then. The dining areas in the H2s overlook the Horizon lounge. Not terribly private, but the view should be nice.

I find this aggravating!  it's not more public space, it is more "UpSell Space" to get more money out of you on the ship and as a result of this there is LESS public space and more people on the ship which only means that things are going to be more crowded.  I chose the Joy for a group cruise because it had one of the best ratios of space and crew per customer.  Not sure how many rooms they are adding with this but it sure sounds like there will be a lot more people on the ship with this change.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Hmm. Seems to be a bit messy in CC.. This might be better, a .zip with all the new deck plans. :classic_smile:

joy.zip 6.21 MB · 28 downloads

Thank you for posting this new information.

While I am still not too happy about the loss of the port side observation lounge, at least they kept a small portion of the port side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

While I am still not too happy about the loss of the port side observation lounge, at least they kept a small portion of the port side.

It sure won't be a long walk for those new balcony rooms to Starbucks and the bar! I do wonder how much more congestion there will be with only one side having the seating that had been available on both before....if they retain the seating on that side next to the restrooms. 

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

FOR NOW!!!!..with these changes being made, i wont be surprised at all if in the next 5-10 years or so Norwegian will do the same thing to the port side and leave only the forward part as the observation lounge. 

Converting only the starboard side seems more like a test to see how well the ship reacts with added passenger capacity 

Edited by shof515

9 minutes ago, shof515 said:

FOR NOW!!!!..with these changes being made, i wont be surprised at all if in the next 5-10 years or so Norwegian will do the same thing to the port side and leave only the forward part as the observation lounge. 

Converting only the starboard side seems more like a test to see how well the ship reacts with added passenger capacity 

Methinks you’ve got the star/port mixed up. The Joy is having the port side part converted to balcony cabins.

• Like 1

Joy was designed & built originally specifically for the China ("Asia") market, the pool deck was small as originally built with the outdoor space, and marketing had different ideas and expectations then ... which didn't materialize ... pulling out in a year's time, sadly but didn't surprise me at all, with the faulty assumptions.  Perhaps, with this dry dock 3.0 (or, is it 4.0 already) - compromised changes for the "better" - to be fair, not going to be happy campers (cruisers) all around, giving some while taking from others.   

For revenue purposes, to restore and put back some of the balcony cabins in a section of the OL that're originally designed & built with (the plumbing & wiring, etc. were capped & cleverly hidden behind panels & under the floorboard / ceiling tiles, etc. - can't "fault" NCL for doing that ... the lifeboat capacity isn't an issue here.  Getting rid of the under-performing laser gaming & pavilion space for something else instead aren't necessary bad ideas (both times, to us, the space was wasted as it was not utilized well, not at all & only open at select times for short durations) ... Our balcony cabin on Deck 15 were near/underneath the virtual pavilion and at times, feel the vibration ... not that it really bothered us, but will be glad to not "experience" that midday and/or in the evening 😆 😁 

A leaner and more compact OL is better than being onboard another ship (like the BA, GA or Escape) without one at all ... now, if they can add new stairs that lead to/from the garden cafe, one deck above/below, that would be a nice & welcoming addition, huh ??  Wishful thinking, doubtful that will be done.  With an open mind, I will wait until the work is done & finished to see what it looked and what we think of it then, reserving opinions.  And, if that does help with getting out of debts and restoring their balance sheets, I'm okay with that ... leave that DSC alone and slow down, easy on the next batch of increases in fees & upcharge, those are getting out of hand fleetwide.  

While they are doing the work, bring on Starlink or equivalent before next Spring, other cruise lines are way, way ahead of the game AND charging less for it ... different strokes for different folks, I know & not an important elements in cruising to many.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

While they are doing the work, bring on Starlink or equivalent before next Spring, other cruise lines are way, way ahead of the game AND charging less for it

100% agree! We just got of the older RCI Vision of the Seas with Starlink and it was THE BEST/FASTEST internet we have experienced onboard a ship. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RB9643 said:

This is unfortunate, but not surprising.  Guess we'll stick with Encore until they screw that ship up too.

Encore’s lack of Spice H2O is already a pretty big negative.  

• Like 1