BTimmer's Almost Live Land/Sea Alaska Cruise (7/23/23-8/25/23)

Btimmer

I have now updated my blog through yesterday.  I think you'll find it informative and has many more details about our past 4 days daily activities.  This link is:  

https://timmer2023alaska.blogspot.com

Enjoy!  We are having a very flat sea in our final day cruising across the Gulf of Alaska on our way to the Hubbard Glacier which we'll reach around 8pm tonight.

The internet has been quite good with download speeds in the 30-40mph s.  I can't tell if it is Starlink or not and I have not spotted any Starlink antennas.

Below is a picture of our stateroom taken from the window side facing the entry door.  The small sofa unfolds and is Jakob's bed.  It's worked quite well for us. The sofa is normally located under the picture on the left, but they rotated it for better stateroom access clearabnce at night.IMG_5134.thumb.jpeg.628a8a0945240d25e1e5985dc5f2fa07.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

@Btimmer really enjoying your blog and posts on here and especially the photos!  What a trip your grandson has had.  I like the set up of your cabin the way the turned the sofa around too.  Good idea. 

I should add that this is an obstructed view full size window that does not open.  We are just aft of lifeboat 15.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

@Btimmer  have you noticed if there is a Book Exchange shelf in the library areas?

I haven't noticed, but I'll try to look in the morning before we disembark.  

It's 11:30pm and we are just arriving in Whittier.

• Like 1

Thanks again for sharing - I cannot get enough of AK!

The picture of your cabin w/the sofa turned is a huge help - never occurred to me to ask about doing that, but would certain a benefit when the bed is pulled out.

Looks like you've had some beautiful weather.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks again for sharing - I cannot get enough of AK!

The picture of your cabin w/the sofa turned is a huge help - never occurred to me to ask about doing that, but would certain a benefit when the bed is pulled out.

Looks like you've had some beautiful weather.

We didn't request the sofa to be turned; Sarji, our stateroom attendant, initiated it.

Yes, we had drop dead gorgeous weather and calm seas.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Btimmer...thank you for taking us along on your cruise and land tour.  I am really enjoying both your CC posting with pics and your Blog as well.

It sounds like you are action packed all day every day!

Thank you.

Every day has been full and we've missed a number of onboard events as our focus needed to be on ensuring Jakob has a great first cruise.  Generally that has meant at least two pool times per day plus three Club Hal sessions (9-12, 1-4, & 7-10).  He absolutely loved Club Hal as did his sister last year on the Noordam.  I asked him yesterday if he would like to cruise again, and it was an emphatic yes but that he'd like his mother & sister along.  He didn't think his dad could come because of work. His favorite things were in this order: the pool, ice cream 2x a day, and Club Hal.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Btimmer said:

Thank you.

Every day has been full and we've missed a number of onboard events as our focus needed to be on ensuring Jakob has a great first cruise.  Generally that has meant at least two pool times per day plus three Club Hal sessions (9-12, 1-4, & 7-10).  He absolutely loved Club Hal as did his sister last year on the Noordam.  I asked him yesterday if he would like to cruise again, and it was an emphatic yes but that he'd like his mother & sister along.  He didn't think his dad could come because of work. His favorite things were in this order: the pool, ice cream 2x a day, and Club Hal.

A young man after my own heart....a cruise addict in the making!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Delighted that Jakob loves the pool so much after that unfortunate incident.

Is there any extra charge for Club HAL?

Barbara

There is no charge for Club Hal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Tim.  We are piecing together plans for next year, so I delight in this cruise with Jakob.  Hopefully the Club HAL is more than fun, games, and new friends?  Does it also teach anything about Alaska?

I was surprised that Jakob went to Club HAL at Glacier Bay, instead of experiencing the day with you grandparents.  How he experience Glacier Bay in Club HAL?

Thanks so much.

Barbara

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

Good morning, Tim.  We are piecing together plans for next year, so I delight in this cruise with Jakob.  Hopefully the Club HAL is more than fun, games, and new friends?  Does it also teach anything about Alaska?

I was surprised that Jakob went to Club HAL at Glacier Bay, instead of experiencing the day with you grandparents.  How he experience Glacier Bay in Club HAL?

Thanks so much.

Barbara

Barbara, for a 10 year old, Club Hal was perfect.  Watching Glaciers and scenery would be super boring for a 10 year old. During the breaks, he would be quite interested in the wildlife sightings.  

In Glacier Bay, the afternoon session was spent with the park rangers and he completed his Jr Ranger badge workbook.  Throughout the cruise he's participated with us in many cultural activities and one of his nightly reads was a book, Alaska Legends, which he totally enjoyed.

Personally, I think it's on us to expose him to as much Alaska as we think he can absorb, and we feel we've done that in spades.  It's not Club Hal's responsibility to do that.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Tim.   Yes, Club HAL is not responsible for teaching about Alaska, but I can always dream.  You are doing a great job of understanding what a ten year old can appreciate.

Thank you for so many details.

Barbara

27 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Thank you, Tim.   Yes, Club HAL is not responsible for teaching about Alaska, but I can always dream.  You are doing a great job of understanding what a ten year old can appreciate.

Thank you for so many details.

Barbara

Thanks, we're trying. Here at the Captain Cook hotel, they have many murals and paintings and models about Captain Cook and he's absorbed all of it and we've been able to chat about it.

We did much the same thing last year with his sister who was 11 at the time and she still has vivid memories of the trip and was super jealous of her brother taking the trip this year.  It's been really good for them to be separated so they can absorb at their own pace and interest rate.

Are you on the GSA in October on the Zaandam?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, we are not on the GSA this year.  We enjoyed it in 2009.  

I did delight in the ms Zaandam 2022 Grand Africa Voyage. 

If Jakob ever makes it to Corner Brook, Newfoundland, he could see some of Captain Cook's original maps, etc.

You are right that there are advantages one-on-one with a child.  We are planning a family cruise.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

No, we are not on the GSA this year.  We enjoyed it in 2009.  

I did delight in the ms Zaandam 2022 Grand Africa Voyage. 

If Jakob ever makes it to Corner Brook, Newfoundland, he could see some of Captain Cook's original maps, etc.

You are right that there are advantages one-on-one with a child.  We are planning a family cruise.

Barbara

Yes, we saw them last August  when we were there.  The map display overlooking the town was impressive.

• Like 2

I have very much enjoyed your report, Tim and envy you having a young grandson to share the trip with you.  One question:  Since you live so close to the cruise terminals in Seattle, why did you choose to take a ship out of Vancouver?  We live in Kitsap County, and have done both, but only chose Vancouver when we couldn't do the same thing from Seattle.

Ray