Fitness and gym facilities on Noordam

cindybeach

I just got off the Noordam today. The gym is good but small. They have the standard Precor treadmills and cross trainers - both with the arm handles and without. There is a very small free weight area, and weight circuit machines too. I never had a problem with the place being too crowded or having to wait for equipment. They also offer classes for $11 a session (yoga, spinning, pilates, etc). He should be fine!

The gym is good but small.

I think considering the gym 'small' requires a bit of perspective...

Compared to a land-based gyms in suburbia where one can easily allocate 10,000 Sq Feet to just the lockerrooms: Sure the gym is small - tiny even!

However, for a ship - the Vista's have rather generously-sized gym/fitness facilities. In addition, Noordam's fitness facilities are better arranged compared to the other Vistas: the Relaxation Room is Starboard where a therapy room used to be and no longer opens to the main workout space. As I recall, the Alpha lounger is no longer in the relaxation room, but in a therapy room of its own and the thermal suites are larger and better laid out w/ the quartet of aromatherapy showers. Where the relaxation room used to be on the port side are now therapy rooms.

The forward observation deck is also now accessible without going through the workout space on the Port side which eliminates that blast of super-cold air that you get on the other HAL ships when someone walks through the gym to get to the open deck while you're on a treadmill in your shorts!

What I did think was kinda goofy was that since the Thassolotherapy Pool costs extra, so you'd think that they'd want to show it off to passers by, Right? No, the window shades between that pool and the corridor/Lido were always drawn! :confused:

• 2 years later...

My husband is a competitive bicycle racer, he continued his training routine on the Noordam without any problem. :) There are two types of stationary bicycles on the ship -- the spinning bikes were only available for the class when we were on the ship, however.

Yes, we have been to (and used :) ) Noordam's gym and think it wonderful for a ship. We are not elite athletes but it definitely served our needs with plenty of treadmills (with individual tv's), elipticals, bikes, pilattes, weights....all the basics. We didn't (don't) take any classes so can't speak about them. Noordam's gym is definitely adequate for the vast majority of us for the duration of a vacation.

• 1 month later...

Archived