MDR v MTD

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That would be a nightmare.  Early dining is around when we normally eat anyway.   Plus we will be a table of 8 including 4 teen girls.  

(This is dismay, not disbelief)   How can they do that?   If someone is confirmed for a certain dining slot they should stay confirmed for that slot, and they shouldn't confirm more people than a slot can hold.  

We've never had that happen.  Not saying it didn't but pretty shocking if you had early traditional booked.  One way to mitigate or solve this is to go to the Maître d' at the entrance of the dining room as soon as you board and get a table confirmed.  Don't wait until you show up for dinner.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We've never had that happen.  Not saying it didn't but pretty shocking if you had early traditional booked.  One way to mitigate or solve this is to go to the Maître d' at the entrance of the dining room as soon as you board and get a table confirmed.  Don't wait until you show up for dinner.

Definitely agree.  With a table for 8, I would absolutely go to the MDR and confirm that there is a table for 8 assigned.  I would also go check out the location.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That would be a nightmare.  Early dining is around when we normally eat anyway.   Plus we will be a table of 8 including 4 teen girls.  

(This is dismay, not disbelief)   How can they do that?   If someone is confirmed for a certain dining slot they should stay confirmed for that slot, and they shouldn't confirm more people than a slot can hold.  

The how is easy . Companies can and do get away with lots of shady practices all the time .

I would go with "Why would they do that ? " I have been trying to come up with that answer for some time. The best I can figure ( and this is obviously only MY hypothesis , coming from MY experience) is that they are going with the ask for forgiveness later approach rather than disappoint people at the time of booking .? Possibly thinking if they inform people that they can not have their desired dining time they may not book at all .? Once on the ship , obviously no turning back.?

The sailing that they had E-mailed me my table # , the only way I found out without an awkward situation at seating time , was I went to see where my table was shortly after boarding . I noticed it was a 4 top when I had booked a 2 top , so just went to stand in line to confirm there was not another couple at OUR table. HaHa , jokes on me , it wasn't our table .

Cheers

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I guess we could also ask HOW is it regular practice to overbook cruises and flights , which is also standard practice nowadays 

Cheers

21 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I do always . All 3 times I was left with they could not guarantee me a table but would see what they could do . the first one we were assigned starting night 2 .  On cruise 2 and 3 after seeing how it went on cruise 1, I left dining room and went to GS , explained situation and asked if they could help. I did get a table eventually . 

There was actually a woman who burst into tears just ahead of me , while they were telling her there was nothing they could do . Her 10 year old was actually hugging her saying "It's OK Mommy " (Hilarious), and a bit pathetic .Of course suddenly they were able to help her . I tried to get my wife to duplicate her actions but she wouldn't go for it... Just Kidding of course 

2 cruises coming up in October , and have confirmed ET on phone 3 times now. We'll see how it goes this time ?!

Cheers

48 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I guess we could also ask HOW is it regular practice to overbook cruises and flights , which is also standard practice nowadays 

Cheers

But they do use Waitlisting for the dining selection.  I guess you are saying that they probably overbook each dining slot by the same percentage.   

I am one of those early-to-bed people, so not having early dining would ruin the cruise, seriously.  

Late dining starts about when I got to bed.  And it would be stressful wondering what the MTD dining situation would be each night for the 8 of us.   I've seen photos of friends in the MDR where there were too many people at the table because an extra chair or two were added. Like our friends in a group of 7 and the table was much smaller than the one for 8 next to them.    

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But they do use Waitlisting for the dining selection.  I guess you are saying that they probably overbook each dining slot by the same percentage.   

I am one of those early-to-bed people, so not having early dining would ruin the cruise, seriously.  

Late dining starts about when I got to bed.  And it would be stressful wondering what the MTD dining situation would be each night for the 8 of us.   I've seen photos of friends in the MDR where there were too many people at the table because an extra chair or two were added. Like our friends in a group of 7 and the table was much smaller than the one for 8 next to them.    

I won't go quite that far but it is very important to us as well !

If it weren't for such a late start for MTD I would pik that and then have a little extra flexibility . Early is always starting between 5 & 5:45 from what I have seen . Have 2 coming up in Oct.( 5:45 on the first , 5:15 on the second ).5 is just a bit too early . In a perfect world ... 5:45- 6:15 range would be ideal for us .

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I do always . All 3 times I was left with they could not guarantee me a table but would see what they could do . the first one we were assigned starting night 2 .  On cruise 2 and 3 after seeing how it went on cruise 1, I left dining room and went to GS , explained situation and asked if they could help. I did get a table eventually . 

There was actually a woman who burst into tears just ahead of me , while they were telling her there was nothing they could do . Her 10 year old was actually hugging her saying "It's OK Mommy " (Hilarious), and a bit pathetic .Of course suddenly they were able to help her . I tried to get my wife to duplicate her actions but she wouldn't go for it... Just Kidding of course 

2 cruises coming up in October , and have confirmed ET on phone 3 times now. We'll see how it goes this time ?!

Cheers

Is it the request for a table for 2 that is tripping things up?  That is a special request right?  Aren't the odds typically that a pair would be placed with another table unless requested otherwise?

I'm guessing you make this request via email before the cruise?

We've been making table requests every cruise going back to 2014.  Sometimes we've gotten pretty much exactly what we request, sometimes close.  We've always had a table for the correct party size though.  However we've always been a group anywhere from 6-10 persons and would like our own table.  We're fortunate that it makes it easy for them since there are a number of 6-10 person tables in the dining room.

I think "2 tops" get requested a lot so maybe it's the fact that you are fighting for a smaller pool of tables?  I'm with you though, if it were just my wife and I cruising together I wouldn't want to sit with others either.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Is it the request for a table for 2 that is tripping things up?  That is a special request right?  Aren't the odds typically that a pair would be placed with another table unless requested otherwise?

I'm guessing you make this request via email before the cruise?

We've been making table requests every cruise going back to 2014.  Sometimes we've gotten pretty much exactly what we request, sometimes close.  We've always had a table for the correct party size though.  However we've always been a group anywhere from 6-10 persons and would like our own table.  We're fortunate that it makes it easy for them since there are a number of 6-10 person tables in the dining room.

I think "2 tops" get requested a lot so maybe it's the fact that you are fighting for a smaller pool of tables?  I'm with you though, if it were just my wife and I cruising together I wouldn't want to sit with others either.

I won't say it's not part of the issue , but noone has ever referenced that to be a problem .

It was alao never suggested as a possible resolution . And it certainly doesn't explain or justify them confirming me 3 times and not have a table for me !! In that case they should state that is a problem before confirming anything and we could move from there for resolution .

We always used to join larger tables until I went on a NCL cruise in 2018 and realized how much easier it was to dine alone . I would not mind if we had to join a larger table , but worst case scenario would be to sit at a 4 top with just one other couple. How awkward would that be if they weren't as cool as us ...  :)

Cheers

• Like 2

I've done both types of seating in the past.

For our upcoming Icon cruise (a girls cruise), we chose to go Early Dining due to the fact that one in our group has a gluten allergy and we thought it best to have the same server and someone to work through her meals each night (and the night before), and two, due to size of the ship, we thought it best to have a guaranteed place to eat every night.  We can always make other arrangements once reservations open up but thought it best to lock something in now. 

2 hours ago, erby2283 said:

I've done both types of seating in the past.

For our upcoming Icon cruise (a girls cruise), we chose to go Early Dining due to the fact that one in our group has a gluten allergy and we thought it best to have the same server and someone to work through her meals each night (and the night before), and two, due to size of the ship, we thought it best to have a guaranteed place to eat every night.  We can always make other arrangements once reservations open up but thought it best to lock something in now. 

Our TA marked our reservations for Early Dining (group of 14).

Do we need to do anything else?  I'm assuming we should probably go to the DR on embarkation

and check to be sure we have reservations?

1 hour ago, BridgeMates said:

Our TA marked our reservations for Early Dining (group of 14).

Do we need to do anything else?  I'm assuming we should probably go to the DR on embarkation

and check to be sure we have reservations?

And you will likely settle for 2 tables close to each other at best . I am pretty sure nothhing above 10 < maaaaybe 12 is accomodated... ?