Whale watching tour in Icy Strait Point

moatenote

We recemtly completed a Viking Ocean Alaska cruise and it was great!  The very best excursion we did was a private whale watching tour with Glacier Wind Charters in Icy Strait Point.  We did a 3.5 hour outing and the owner, Teresa was terrific in corresponding with us and arranging "pickup."  Her son was the pilot of the boat and gave us great commentary on the wildlife in the area, the whales, and other things we might see.  The boat was very clean, the windows were spotless (unlike a bummer whale watch tour we did in Seward with a different company). I heartily recommend this company if you're considering a whale watching tour in Alaska.

• Like 4

Yes, it’s the only company I use in ISP!

(Her son’s name is Casey.  He has a master’s degree—not sure of the exact degree but it is focused on Alaskan wildlife/fish.  So the tour, in addition to some great whale watching, is very informative!)

Book independently.  Glacier Winds cost less than a Princess tour.  The Princess tour will pick you up along side the ship but you’re in a large group!  If you go with Glacier Winds, they will pick you up at the Excursion Hub at the port, drive you to the boat and then transport you back.  It is a small group tour—around 10-12 people on board.

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 3

Glacier Wind is amazing! https://www.g-wind.com

They have a 6 passenger and 13 passenger boat. 

Such a great family! Very caring. One of my friends had to cancel the trip and Teresa went out of her way to ask me how he was doing and how sorry she was that he couldn't go on the trip.

We also had Capt Casey and he is a wealth of knowledge. Very nice guy as well. All around great experience! One of my favorite whale watching experiences and I have done a ton of them. They will always be my first choice.

I posted this thread after my excursion with them:

Edited by Coral

37 minutes ago, Coral said:

Glacier Wind is amazing! https://www.g-wind.com

They have a 6 passenger and 13 passenger boat. 

Such a great family! Very caring. One of my friends had to cancel the trip and Teresa went out of her way to ask me how he was doing and how sorry she was that he couldn't go on the trip.

We also had Capt Casey and he is a wealth of knowledge. Very nice guy as well. All around great experience! One of my favorite whale watching experiences and I have done a ton of them. They will always be my first choice.

I posted this thread after my excursion with them:

@coral - have you been on both of their boats?  The day we are looking at has their earlier tour (9 am) still available.  The 9:45 is sold out.  I am going to assume the 9 am is the smaller of the two?

21 minutes ago, High C's said:

@coral - have you been on both of their boats?  The day we are looking at has their earlier tour (9 am) still available.  The 9:45 is sold out.  I am going to assume the 9 am is the smaller of the two?

No I have only been on the larger boat - @Italy52 has been. She is probably on the Crown Princess right now and will be back in a few days. The 13 passenger boat is fairly new.

I had a 9 am (9-12:30) reservation and it was the 13 passenger boat.

The day we went - the son (Casey) had the 13 passenger boat and the father (Shawn) had the 6 passenger boat. Shawn's boat went out earlier than ours.

@Ferry_Watcher may have been on both. I just saw @Ferry_Watcher posted. I personally think smaller is better but would easily go on either of their boats. IMO- both sizes would be great. I just don't like the boats once they get larger than 20 people.

My friend had called Teresa to make sure we were on the same boat and booked him on my boat, so I knew we were on the 13 passenger boat based on that conversation. Feel free to email or call Teresa. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

No I have only been on the larger boat - @Italy52 has been. She is probably on the Crown Princess right now and will be back in a few days. The 13 passenger boat is fairly new.

I had a 9 am (9-12:30) reservation and it was the 13 passenger boat.

The day we went - the son (Casey) had the 13 passenger boat and the father (Shawn) had the 6 passenger boat. Shawn's boat went out earlier than ours.

@Ferry_Watcher may have been on both. I just saw @Ferry_Watcher posted. I personally think smaller is better but would easily go on either of their boats. IMO- both sizes would be great. I just don't like the boats once they get larger than 20 people.

My friend had called Teresa to make sure we were on the same boat and booked him on my boat, so I knew we were on the 13 passenger boat based on that conversation. Feel free to email or call Teresa. 

@CoralHI Coral.  Just went with Glacier Wind yesterday.  We were on the 6 passenger boat as opposed to the 13 passenger.   A couple of people were a little late in showing so Teresa asked if we mind going on the smaller boat with Shawn and we said no problem..also gave us an opportunity to visit with Shawn since we had not seen him for a while.  Casey was helping him out so we got to meet him.  Casey's brother was the captain on the bigger boat.  Saw quite a few whales.  Can't compare boats as we didn't get to go on the larger one but enjoyed the 6 person one as always.  Will expand more after we get back.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@CoralHI Coral.  Just went with Glacier Wind yesterday.  We were on the 6 passenger boat as opposed to the 13 passenger.   A couple of people were a little late in showing so Teresa asked if we mind going on the smaller boat with Shawn and we said no problem..also gave us an opportunity to visit with Shawn since we had not seen him for a while.  Casey was helping him out so we got to meet him.  Casey's brother was the captain on the bigger boat.  Saw quite a few whales.  Can't compare boats as we didn't get to go on the larger one but enjoyed the 6 person one as always.  Will expand more after we get back.

Can't wait to hear about the trip when you return!

52 minutes ago, High C's said:

Just booked a tour for the end of August.  So glad I read this post!  Thank you, OP, and everyone else that contributed! 🙂

They are a really nice family run business. I think you will be very pleased.

• Like 1

I was on the larger one about a week ago. It’s really new as it was delivered during Covid and I believe it’s their second season on it. It was purpose built for whale watching and is perfect for it. The day we went the older brother was the captain and the younger brother was onboard as well.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

I was on the larger one about a week ago. It’s really new as it was delivered during Covid and I believe it’s their second season on it. It was purpose built for whale watching and is perfect for it. The day we went the older brother was the captain and the younger brother was onboard as well.

Kyle and Casey are the brothers. I am guessing Kyle is the older brother.