disembarkation timing/train timing

cruise2relax

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the average time that disembarkation in Rome starts.  We will be on the Island Princess and it says 6am.  We do walk off with luggage and am trying to arrange train to Rome to Florence and would like to arrange it as early as I can in the morning but not so aggressive that I will be stressed.  Also, I heard that the port offers a shuttle to the train station for 6 euro pp.  true?  something you just grab there or book in advance.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yes, there is a six euro shuttle to the train station.  However, it may not be up and running as early as you want to get off the ship.  According to the Port Mobility website, the shuttle starts at 7 AM:  Civitavecchia Train Station | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Let's assume you get on the 7 AM shuttle, with the time it takes to load passengers and luggage I wouldn't plan on making the short trip to the train station until 7:30, to be on the safe side.

There's no need nor benefit to purchasing the Civitavecchia to Rome portion of this trip in advance as there are no seat assigned trains until 9:16 AM, which I assume is well after you want to be going.  All of the earlier trains are regionales, which cannot be sold out as they have no capacity limitation.

There is a cost benefit to purchasing the Rome to Florence segment in advance but if you miss the train the ticket is worthless, it cannot be changed, applied to another train, or refunded.

There is zero chance of being shut out if you elect to wait and purchase your ticket on the day of travel; between Trenitalia and Italotreno, the two long distance/high speed train operators, there are several trains each hour.

If you do decide to purchase in advance, buy directly from the train companies rather than through a middleman.  This will greatly ease the process if you have any issues along the way.

EN - Trenitalia

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Thanks so much.  Is something up with Trenitalia's website, it shows no trains for this journey in November nor any high sped trains in the morning I want to go from Florence back to Rome.  I find that odd since I am looking in the beginning of November.

Yes, it is an issue with the Trenitalia site.  In the time section put in a time as many hours earlier as your location is different from Italy.  For example, to see trains at 7 AM, if you are on the east coast of the Staes, enter 1 AM.

Also be aware that the regional trains from Civitavecchia use auxiliary tracks located three city blocks from the main track head at Termini.  Be sure there is sufficient time to get yourself and your luggage from one train to the other (500 meters/three-tenths of a mile).

Also note that a 6AM arrival does not necessarily mean that you will be cleared to leave the ship then. It will most likely be at least 6:30 before they start disembarkation, making the shuttle timing still reasonable for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, it is an issue with the Trenitalia site.  In the time section put in a time as many hours earlier as your location is different from Italy.  For example, to see trains at 7 AM, if you are on the east coast of the Staes, enter 1 AM.

Also be aware that the regional trains from Civitavecchia use auxiliary tracks located three city blocks from the main track head at Termini.  Be sure there is sufficient time to get yourself and your luggage from one train to the other (500 meters/three-tenths of a mile).

Is it always like this?  That’s very confusing since  we will be on local time while we are there. 

19 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Is it always like this?  That’s very confusing since  we will be on local time while we are there. 

The times of the trains are in local Italian time.  It just thinks that you are only trying to look at the trains that leave after your US time. 

Just enter 2 am and you will see the schedules for the whole day in Italian time.  Don't overthink it.

This is a relatively recent problem, within the last week.  There's no way to know if this is a temporary glitch or if it's the outcome of fixing a different issue and will remain.

As said above, don't over think it, just overcome it as suggested.

We were recently on a cruise. A few days before the end we got info left in our room about booking different types of transportation but it did not show getting to the Civitavecchia train station so we went to guest services and were told they had a shuttle for 25 a person can’t remember if in dollars or euros. They gave us a choice in time and we picked 6:45 am and let them know we were taking our own luggage off. We were going to Venice from Rome and had already booked the high speed train on Italo Treno for 10:53 am and did the flex fare in case it took longer and we missed it. Getting off the ship was very quick we were in a minivan with another family. It was very easy once we got to the Civi train station to buy our ticket to Rome. It is a small station but had to figure out which track to go to and it ended up we had to go down steps to get to the other side and had trouble validating our tickets in the green things but luckily found someone there to help. The ride to Rome was an hour and 14 minutes. The Rome Termini is very big and confusing but finally we found out where we needed to go and made our train. Just a heads up they only have vending machines with drinks and snack food no cafe. When we booked our Rome to Venice we had also booked Venice back to Rome. We found the trains ran on time luckily no train strikes on the days we took trains. 

7 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

We were recently on a cruise. A few days before the end we got info left in our room about booking different types of transportation but it did not show getting to the Civitavecchia train station so we went to guest services and were told they had a shuttle for 25 a person can’t remember if in dollars or euros.

Just a heads up they only have vending machines with drinks and snack food no cafe.

Wow, that's a huge upcharge to pay for a half hour, if you'd waited until 7 it would have been 6 euro per person.

I'm curious about the food comment, where are you referring to?  There's plenty of food options at Termini station.  Perhaps on the train itself?  That's a good reason to allow a good amount of time at Termini, to allow you to purchase food to bring on the train.

23 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

This is a relatively recent problem, within the last week.  There's no way to know if this is a temporary glitch or if it's the outcome of fixing a different issue and will remain.

As said above, don't over think it, just overcome it as suggested.

BTW - it seems the "problem" also exists in France (sncf.fr).  If you do not specify a time, it defaults to your local time adjusted by the time difference (e.g., 10:00 US ET =16:00 French time).  As in Italy, if you do specify a time it takes it to be French local time. 

Edited by marazul

9 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Wow, that's a huge upcharge to pay for a half hour, if you'd waited until 7 it would have been 6 euro per person.

Are you referring to taking a different shuttle?

9 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm curious about the food comment, where are you referring to?  There's plenty of food options at Termini station.  Perhaps on the train itself?  That's a good reason to allow a good amount of time at Termini, to allow you to purchase food to bring on the train.

There are real food options at the station?  Such as what?  

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

BTW - it seems the "problem" also exists in France (sncf.fr).  If you do not specify a time, it defaults to your local time adjusted by the time difference (e.g., 10:00 US ET =16:00 French time).  As in Italy, if you do specify a time it takes it to be French local time. 

This is confusing. I’m scared we’ll end up with tickets for the wrong time. I have turned this whole train thing over to dh. 

13 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

This is confusing. I’m scared we’ll end up with tickets for the wrong time. I have turned this whole train thing over to dh. 

You will not end up with tickets for the wrong time.  This only has to do with the times that are displayed when you do your search.  If you do not enter a time it defaults to the current time there.  (That time just happens to be your time in Charlotte plus 6 hours.)  Then it displays the schedule for the remainder of the day starting at that default time. If you enter a time, it displays the schedule for all trains after the time you enter. Say you enter 9:00 am, it shows the schedule from that time in their local time.  All the times you see on the website are the local times there.

The confusion is because, the websites do not look to find out where you are and adjust the time.  The website uses the local time there at whatever time you are doing the search here unless you enter a specific time.  

So don't stress about it.  The time on the website for the ticket is the time there.  You DO NOT have to make any adjustments for your local time.

Edited by marazul

I was referring to the difference between what they paid for a ship transfer vs. the port mobility bus.

The official web site for the train stations no longer exists, I have no idea why, so you have to use alternate sources.

Rome Termini has an entire shopping mall inside, several different sit down and take away food options, and a well respected food court:  Mercato Centrale Rome | Mercato Centrale

5 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I was referring to the difference between what they paid for a ship transfer vs. the port mobility bus.

The official web site for the train stations no longer exists, I have no idea why, so you have to use alternate sources.

Rome Termini has an entire shopping mall inside, several different sit down and take away food options, and a well respected food court:  Mercato Centrale Rome | Mercato Centrale

Oh. We will only be there briefly, going from Civi to Naples. 

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

That was the price for the shuttle Royal was offering to the Civi train station 25 dollars or euros whichever it was they told us the cost before we selected the time. Sorry for any confusion I was referring to the food on the train itself in case someone expected there to be a cafe car to let them know there are only snack vending machines. Yes if you have time at the station looks like a lot of food offerings.