Travel Sim

Hi all.

This may be of interest to you.

On a recent quick trip to Europe I needed a data Sim for my phone.

Via the Sydney airport website I found a product called Trip Sim.

It comes in form of a downloadable E-Sim. No physical Sim card.

The website www.tripsim.com.au is pretty straight forward. The installation and activation is not exactly intuitive, but not too difficult either. Several packages are available and for me it worked perfectly through my trip at less than $1 a day. Great for staying online and whatsapp calling.

You keep your phone number and the E-Sim installs parallel to your regular Sim

Edited by buchhalm
Added information
  • Like 6

Bit of a stupid question,I’m pretty good in that department.

So you get a new sim and a phone number. Can you install it before you go and do you have to set up a new account on Uber like apps.

I’ve always used global roaming , it’s getting a bit expensive but I don’t want to have to get to a destination and then have to set accounts up .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cheers, I have been using a card from sim corner, 12 GB of data 30 days $30. Prepaid, dates set for when you want it to start and they send you the card.

I’ve used sim corner for New Zealand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So you get a new sim and a phone number. Can you install it before you go and do you have to set up a new account on Uber like apps.

I’ve always used global roaming , it’s getting a bit expensive but I don’t want to have to get to a destination and then have to set accounts up .

Is that for Mic or for me?

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The new sim card is sent to you, you put it in and set it up, It provides you with a new number, in our case as it was a European Sim, it gave us a UK number. You then remove it until the day it you have set it to go live. Most Apps work on the phone as usual, but I am unsure how it goes for Uber overseas as that may use the new number for it in which case you may have to edit your uber app appropriately.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The new sim card is sent to you, you put it in and set it up, It provides you with a new number, in our case as it was a European Sim, it gave us a UK number. You then remove it until the day it you have set it to go live. Most Apps work on the phone as usual, but I am unsure how it goes for Uber overseas as that may use the new number for it in which case you may have to edit your uber app appropriately.

Thanks mic

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Most new phones now come with SIM's embedded on the processor chip. (eSIM). You can keep your home SIM in place and download up to 5 eSIM's which you can activate at the touch of the screen and/or delete one to add another.

There are apps where you can download them for each specific country or region or you can buy them from a shop or online and activate them by scanning a QR code with your phone camera.

Most are data only but you can get them that include a phone number which you can use to make calls.

Most savvy travellers are now using data only sims for connection to the internet and the original mobile account to make and receive calls and texts with wifi calling. Unfortunately Optus does not yet allow this overseas but you can with Telstra, making those calls the same as when at home.

Another trick which I have not yet tried but will look into before my next OS trip is to get a Felix account and phone number which has a generous global roaming plan. Then have all my incoming calls diverted to the Felix number while away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2