Hull Bay questions. Thanks!!

TTEllis

That "corridor" is in a complex that suffered a very destructive fire the same year as the hurricanes and destroyed her restaurant that was then located in a different corridor.  The previous place was nice, too, but the current location is bigger and brighter. 

The corridors are called alleys or passageways.😊

I should have used the word passages, though most people use alleys. Palm Passage has always been my favorite because it's more artsy than Main Street, but no local food and drink.

And I went back and looked at my Taphus pictures, and the seating off the bar has fabric cushions not leather. They don't serve any food except for whatever packaged chips so best to not be hungry when you go.😊

No I don't need to go in Taphus on an empty stomach. Thanks for the heads up!!😁 LMAO!!

That's really funny. If you only knew. 

I just kinda thought when those passageways we're made when everybody was little or something like that.

I didn't really know what was up with those other than I thought they were really cool and authentic Caribbean architecture. 

That's probably one of the main reasons I've always enjoyed St. Thomas so much some real authentic Caribbean architecture still remaining. 

Everybody leaves everybody else alone, nice people, you can have a lot of fun and your still home. 

Btw thanks again for the head's up on not serving food at Taphus. Your a life saver. 😄😄

Edited by TTEllis

I like to have something to eat with my drinks, because I rarely just order drinks out. 

There's a new local restaurant, Tuck Stop, that is steps from Taphus. I heard their roti wasn't good, but someone else raved about their curried chicken. I haven't eaten there so can't comment.

I have to eat before I drink or something weird always happens. 

Taphus sounds like an after dinner somewhere else lounge. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with that.😁 I can walk right up to a bar in any country and have, order just a drink, a couple of them, I'm good. Until I order my next drink.😉 In a cozy hole like that who cares, when you roll in Taphus lunch or dinner is out, it's time to take about 2-3 steps back order that GG vodka martini and get the ball rollin. Work the bugs out, full steam ahead. I got that part😂😂😂!!

Btw that curried chicken sounds yummo!!

I appreciate you. 

You have provided me some excellent suggestions. I'm in. 

Thanks!!

I don't think Taphus is open every night. Maybe first Friday nights only.

I'm glad you like my recommendations. I am finding it very difficult to find different things to see and do when I travel, so I try to look for different things and recommend them. I have found some wonderful things to do on AirBnB Experiences, but there aren't Experiences in all locations. None in St Thomas last I checked.

Absolutely it is becoming more difficult to find different things to see and do, especially after you've been to the same destination several times. 

St. Thomas has enough beaches, access to another island St. John so that's really not a problem.

The only problem I have with St. Thomas and it's like this on other islands but St. Thomas is worse. 

What your going to do, what beach your going to go to, everything you do is based on how many ships are in port the day your there. 

The more ships in port the more taxi's and ferry's and taxi's and taxi's and ferry's and taxi's you take. 

Comprende' Amigo?

I have no problem going back to the same beaches over and over again. As long as they're on an island in the middle of an ocean preferably somewhere around the equator.

Daytona Beach, Clearwater Beach, Myrtle Beach, Cocoa Beach and on and on and on and on and on. They're nice beaches and all, they're just not my cup of tea. That's all. 

Going to Sapphire on my next visit.

Always a nice quiet lovely beach. It's nice over there and just far enough away from the port to where it's never busy or crowded. Catch a taxi back to town, hit Taphus keep the ball rolling and then head back to the ship. 

Got it!! Thanks chief!!

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Going to Sapphire on my next visit.

Always a nice quiet lovely beach. It's nice over there and just far enough away from the port to where it's never busy or crowded. Catch a taxi back to town, hit Taphus keep the ball rolling and then head back to the ship. 

Hi TT, did I read that you take a safari bus to Sapphire Beach?

On 8/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, TTEllis said:

There's no way whatsoever to spend all day on a cruise visit to St. Thomas and not drink.

Unless you're like me and have never had an alcoholic drink ever. 😜

Heading to St. Thomas with two best friends in May to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We've all been there before and had tours of the island and have visit Secret Harbour, Coki, Magen's Bay, etc. I do think we all agree on a beach day (we are there 7-3), maybe grab lunch, a little shopping and back to the ship.  What beach would you recommend - even if we've been there before? Only two ships in port that day - but we're on Icon and that holds over 7k passengers so I'm sure it will still feel crowded.  Is there an all-inclusive somewhere to try? I heard there was a new one (on St. John maybe) but for the hours we are there it wouldn't work for us.

Edited by erby2283

You've never had an alcoholic drink ever? You have my utmost sympathy I hate that for you.🤪

Hey man on vacation on an island (take your pick) I've been to them all, water, soda, gatorade, ice tea, and on and on and on and on don't cut it.

Ice cold pale ale, a Stella or a nice glass of Chardonnay on the Islands is what life's all about.

Now to the Beach, Sapphire or Magens 2 ships in port both beaches will be great. Keep it simple. One of the two.

Have fun at whichever beach you choose drinking diet Pepsi.😁

• Thanks 1

His ship departs at 3pm what a crock. What that means is just when he's on the beach getting comfortable he and his party have to pack up and leave. 

Docked at Crown Bay that's a pain in the ass too.🙁

It's Water Island or sitting on the Crown Bay pier feeding iguanas peanuts all morning drinking soda pop in 95 degree heat. 😳🙄😳

Some unsolicited comments for sure…🤷🏼

Agree with nearby Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Resort) if you want full amenities on a decent beach. Water Island requires the ferry which can be an issue when time is limited. Brewers Beach is another close option.

If you really want that gorgeous beach and island views a taxi to Sapphire Beach may be worth it…

No real resort day pass options that I am aware of; Some resorts do offer the AI option to guests but not day visitors. Having said that, if you want access to a beach, pool and restaurant I’d suggest contacting the Bolongo Bay Resort to see if restaurant patrons can still use their facilities, including the pool. That was the case when I previously contacted them…

(EDIT] No need to tell them you are on a cruise 😉

Congrats on reaching your 50th milestones! 👏

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

“Have fun at whichever beach you choose drinking diet Pepsi.😁

“…feeding iguanas peanuts all morning drinking soda pop in 95 degree heat. 😳🙄😳

Wow 🤷🏼 Was that really necessary TT?

Just my opinion, mind you, but I don’t think erby needs these snide remarks…

• 2 weeks later...