Cooking classes

Hambagahle

Good morning.  It may vary cruise to cruise, but we were able to book our cooking classes when they opened approximately 6 months prior to the start of the cruise.  You should start checking about that time frame because they do sell out quickly.

Lori

• Like 1

Many thanks for these hints.  I have taken cooking classes on prior O. cruises but since we haven't cruised since 2020 I had forgotten the details!  Will look under "other options" and see if they are there.

Sawubona @Hambagahle,

Our Feb’24 Vista cruise listed the classes a good 10 months out but our July ‘24 Vista cruise still has no classes listed so I’m assuming it’s very variable or if port heavy then there’s probably  no cooking classes.

Please bear with me on this - first Oceania cruise - I noticed after reading this that there are a few cooking classes offered on our itinerary. We have experienced these on a few different lines and they all seem a bit different. Those I noticed on ours were the 4p-6pm timeframe. Since this bumps up against dinner, are these hands on or demonstration classes, and do the participants enjoy the food prepared during the class?  
This is something I might enjoy, but DH not so much so. On other lines it was midday during sea days. So at this time, it could impact dinner reservations. Thanks much   

23 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Please bear with me on this - first Oceania cruise - I noticed after reading this that there are a few cooking classes offered on our itinerary. We have experienced these on a few different lines and they all seem a bit different. Those I noticed on ours were the 4p-6pm timeframe. Since this bumps up against dinner, are these hands on or demonstration classes, and do the participants enjoy the food prepared during the class?  
This is something I might enjoy, but DH not so much so. On other lines it was midday during sea days. So at this time, it could impact dinner reservations. Thanks much   

They are hands on & you get to eat what you  make

Most  do not make specialty res  on the evening you have a cooking class 🙂

Check the  time slot  as sometimes they will have an early morning session on some classes  as well as the afternoon one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Check the  time slot  as sometimes they will have an early morning session on some classes  as well as the afternoon one

What I normally do is to tell the teacher I am not going to eat what I cook and that I will leave once the cooking instruction is over.  I don't eat dinner before 1930 at the earliest and I don't eat between meals as a rule.  Plus husband is not at all interested in cooking.   IF there is a course in Greek or Turkish cooking I will sign up for it but so far - nothing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you. Great info. So far only 4-6p time slots, but I will keep checking. 

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

What I normally do is to tell the teacher I am not going to eat what I cook and that I will leave once the cooking instruction is over.  I don't eat dinner before 1930 at the earliest and I don't eat between meals as a rule.  Plus husband is not at all interested in cooking.   IF there is a course in Greek or Turkish cooking I will sign up for it but so far - nothing.

I do not think they care  if you eat it or not

Some classes  people will taste  what they make  & some will eat  the whole dish  (they are not big)

Some will just leave it 

We made baby lamb chops   DH  does not eat lamb  but I do & they were good 🙂

18 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Great info. So far only 4-6p time slots, but I will keep checking. 

I think it depends on the port time if they offer the early ones or not

We do not dock until 11 am one port & there is  an early class  that day

Enjoy

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think they care  if you eat it or not

Some classes  people will taste  what they make  & some will eat  the whole dish  (they are not big)

Some will just leave it 

We made baby lamb chops   DH  does not eat lamb  but I do & they were good 🙂

I think they care - a lot - that you pay for the class.  and show up.  But I have never been told I could not leave...

3 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I think they care - a lot - that you pay for the class.  and show up.  But I have never been told I could not leave...

Of course you can leave  the chef will unlock the door for you  you are not held captive until you eat  what you cooked 🙄

When we have done the classes  you prepare a dish  then they may give a demo of another dish 

Then you prepare another  dish    or 2 depending on the time

We did a 4-6 pm class and had so much fun! So delicious! We just stopped by the buffet for a few bites later on since we had eaten Steak Diane, salad with homemade creamy vinaigrette, green beans almondine, and pots de crème (plus they served wine throughout!). I just wouldn’t suggest eating at a specialty restaurant that night. It was a highlight of our time onboard!

My husband loves food but has never been seen in a kitchen (if I didn't have an electric kettle he couldn't boil water...or won't?).  Anyway he is happy for me to toddle off to a cooking class as long as he can have his cocktails and dinner on time!  So I have to leave.   Chef Noëlle Barillo (I think that is her name) was very decent about this and when the "witching hour" was about to sound - I left.

• Haha 1