Cairns Shuttle

Charlie65

Edge will overnight in Cairns(Aust) at the end of February next year and I was wondering if anyone would know when the shore to ship transfer boats cease to run on the first night in that port ie if they stop running at all or continue to operate  thu-out the night. Would like to plan a night out on shore.

Haven't done an overnight in Cairns but all other ports they run the tenders 24 hours a day.   During the late evening hours the frequencies are reduced significantly and may even be on demand basis. 

Many small town like Cains roll up the streets pretty early.   What comes to mind was that we overnighted  in Lahina.   The crew were really excited as they wanted to go into town after their shifts ended.  They were really disappointed as almost everything was closed and they were back on the ship by 11:30.

18 hours ago, Charlie65 said:

Edge will overnight in Cairns(Aust) at the end of February next year and I was wondering if anyone would know when the shore to ship transfer boats cease to run on the first night in that port ie if they stop running at all or continue to operate  thu-out the night. Would like to plan a night out on shore.

05b189431bc8644b73f5a2bd09b51303.jpg

We did the 12 night Great Barrier Reef sailing on Solstice back in Jan 2018.  The ship overnighted at Yorkey's Knob (Cairns).  The tenders were not scheduled to run throughout the night because of crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish (with stingers) and shoals.  I know that's something they don't put in the marketing brochures, but here it is in the "Important Information" bulletin that we received on board.

The last tender from Yorkey's Knob was scheduled to leave at 10:30 pm with service resuming at 7:30 am the following morning.  Here is the link to the Celebrity Today with the tender information in the screenshot below:

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf0d010a7ef6bd67aae9d0d311a1b68.jpeg

Note the length of the tender ride which doesn't include waiting for the tender to load and unload--and it's another 25-30 minutes depending on traffic to get from Yorkey's Knob to Cairns by car/bus.

Our actual tender schedule was much different than the plan:

1. Because of high winds, the captain stopped the tendering to Yorkey's Knob at 6:00 pm.  Earlier in the day high winds caused one of the tenders to crash into Solstice resulting in broken windows on the tender.   The high winds also made it difficult for Solstice to hold her anchor.  The strong winds would cause Solstice to drag her anchor and she had to re-anchor two more times that day.  We had plans to stay in a hotel at Cairns that evening but we didn't find out that the tendering had stopped until it was too late and so we were stuck on the ship for the night.

2. The ship quietly offered a special early tender before the official start of tendering during our second day at Cairns.  It was to accommodate passengers like us who made independent plans ashore and needed to be at Cairns early. It takes about 3 hours to tender 3,000 passengers off the ship and those that weren't on Celebrity shore excursions would have to wait at least an hour before they could get on a tender (and then the 40 minute tender ride + 30 min car ride to Cairns).  This special tender left at 6 am.

7aec837d89bf7da482e21c9b4e4bb75c.jpg

Our first view of Yorkey's Knob (Cairns) from our Solstice balcony, Jan 7 2018

32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks for posting -   I've never done an overnight that shut down tenders in the evening.

We were on the Solstice in 2016 and were overnight at Cairns.  My information precedes @mahdnc but my memory is that the tenders did not run overnight.  And I remember that LONG tender ride to shore which was on the rough side.

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were on the Solstice in 2016 and were overnight at Cairns.  My information precedes @mahdnc but my memory is that the tenders did not run overnight.  And I remember that LONG tender ride to shore which was on the rough side.

Thanks -  I was just checking our itinerary for the 3rd segment of the World Cruise I guess won't be stopping in Cairns.   We instead will be going to Yorkey Knob and Airlie Beach.   We also won't have an overnight so I guess no problem for us.

Curious about B2B in Sydney?    Are you able to do the regular B2B processing and return to the ship or do you have to stay ashore for some period of time?  

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks -  I was just checking our itinerary for the 3rd segment of the World Cruise I guess won't be stopping in Cairns.   We instead will be going to Yorkey Knob and Airlie Beach.   We also won't have an overnight so I guess no problem for us.

Curious about B2B in Sydney?    Are you able to do the regular B2B processing and return to the ship or do you have to stay ashore for some period of time?  

We left the Eclipse in April after a B2B2B2B with all the turnaround days in Sydney.  B2B passengers had to actually leave the ship and could re-board with the embarking passengers.  There are so many interesting things to do within close proximity to the OPT it wasn't an issue.  

We join the Edge on October 30th and will leave after three segments on December 9.  Yorkey's Knob is the "access" point for Cairns.  In 2016, when we tendered into Yorkey's Knob, the tender location was at a yacht club.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yorkey's Knob is Cairns like Civitavecchia "is" Rome.  About a 30 minute drive away once you take the long tender ride to Yorkey's Knob.

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Yorkey's Knob is Cairns like Civitavecchia "is" Rome.  About a 30 minute drive away once you take the long tender ride to Yorkey's Knob.

Great comparison.

The yacht club/marina is rather isolated in terms of commercial activity.  Or I should state that it was in 2016.  Folks who didn't have any specific plans for YK were left standing looking rather befuddled.

And I remember that tender ride being long too.  An Australian woman had to be evacuated from the ship at YK.  Her predicament was the talk of the ship as she had to be moved from the Solstice to the ship tender in a stretcher.  She couldn't step, even with assistance, from the ship onto the tender.

25 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Great comparison.

The yacht club/marina is rather isolated in terms of commercial activity.  Or I should state that it was in 2016.  Folks who didn't have any specific plans for YK were left standing looking rather befuddled.

And I remember that tender ride being long too.  An Australian woman had to be evacuated from the ship at YK.  Her predicament was the talk of the ship as she had to be moved from the Solstice to the ship tender in a stretcher.  She couldn't step, even with assistance, from the ship onto the tender.

Thank you.  

When we were there in 2018, Yorkey's Knob was still very isolated with nothing there to see.

One very nice thing about Celebrity's shore excursions is that many of the tour boats (such as the snorkel boats) would pick you up at the ship and at the conclusion of the tour, they would drop you off there, too.  A very big time saver and huge advantage for booking through Celebrity.  There were a lot of boats and tenders waiting to pull up along side any one of the four docking platforms that Solstice had operating.  Sort of like a busy airport with 4 gates. Because all the shorex boats and commercial tenders came in different shapes and sizes, the Solstice crew would have to make adjustments to the platform geometry before each boat could tie up along side.

b2b2dbfe10e2a6176754bdc7ffc30c61.jpg

4 shore excursion boats waiting their turn to pick up their Solstice passengers, near Cairns, Jan 7 2018

Edited by mahdnc

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You didn't ask me, but we did two sets of B2Bs in Sydney earlier this year. 

You can go back to the ship, if you'd like. However, once you are onboard in Sydney, you're onboard until the next port. We were not told this ahead of time, and there was only one small sign indicating this, that we did not see until cruise 3 of the total 5 we did. In other ports, we have boarded early, dropped off carryons, then gone to explore. We were so disappointed when we tried to disembark, and were not allowed to. If we weren't going to have more time in Sydney later, we would have been even more chagrinned. So, be sure to get some time in Sydney before, between, and/or after your cruises. 

Also, another thing you didn't ask me about, yet here I am: I have a recommendation for Airlie Beach. We did a flightsseing tour over the Great Barrier Reef/ Whitsunday Islands. It was the top highlight of an 83 day trip with many highlights. Our next trip there, we will snorkel and/or SCUBA dive, but the view from the air was absolutley the right choice for us for our first visit. 

9 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Also, another thing you didn't ask me about, yet here I am: I have a recommendation for Airlie Beach. We did a flightsseing tour over the Great Barrier Reef/ Whitsunday Islands. It was the top highlight of an 83 day trip with many highlights. Our next trip there, we will snorkel and/or SCUBA dive, but the view from the air was absolutley the right choice for us for our first visit. 

You undoubtedly saw Heart Reef.  We did a lot of scuba diving during our GBR cruise. However it was amazing to see it from the air.

eba370cacc28cc8b81a9095931583ccf.jpg

Agincourt Reef, Jan 9 2018

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You undoubtedly saw Heart Reef.  We did a lot of scuba diving during our GBR cruise. However it was amazing to see it from the air.

eba370cacc28cc8b81a9095931583ccf.jpg

Agincourt Reef, Jan 9 2018

We did, indeed. It was beautiful.

And, @Jim_Iain, if you decide to do this, you and Iain might consider volunteering to fly in separate planes. They needed one couple to split up, no one wanted to do it, but PapaFej and I agreed to. That led to both of us getting to sit up fron (as it looks like David did). We were able to take pictures of each other, and get quite a bit more window real estate. However, I'm confident that everyone else had great views, too. 

@mahdnc, if I'm cleared by my doctors to dive in time, I will. If not, I'm sure I'll enjoy the snorkeling. 

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

@mahdnc, if I'm cleared by my doctors to dive in time, I will. If not, I'm sure I'll enjoy the snorkeling. 

GBR is a paradise for both divers and snorkelers alike.  Either way you go, I would suggest that if a guided tour is available for a fee, it is worth paying.  The guides know where all the good stuff is like the amazing giant clams.

beba8d2bc926414ebcb2510058d3b786.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

You can go back to the ship, if you'd like. However, once you are onboard in Sydney, you're onboard until the next port. We were not told this ahead of time, and there was only one small sign indicating this, that we did not see until cruise 3 of the total 5 we did. In other ports, we have boarded early, dropped off carryons, then gone to explore. We were so disappointed when we tried to disembark, and were not allowed to. If we weren't going to have more time in Sydney later, we would have been even more chagrinned. So, be sure to get some time in Sydney before, between, and/or after your cruises. 

We have been to Australia and Sydney a number of times including land and cruises.  And we have done turnaround days in Sydney previously.  I never save the turnaround day instruction letter, but I believe that info was in the letter.  Sydney is interesting in that every passenger has to be off that ship (not just standing on an outer deck on the ship) to zero out.  And since you went through immigration (remember those folks in the Australian Border Force uniforms right before your carryons were passed through the security check?)  once onboard you are onboard.

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have been to Australia and Sydney a number of times including land and cruises.  And we have done turnaround days in Sydney previously.  I never save the turnaround day instruction letter, but I believe that info was in the letter.  Sydney is interesting in that every passenger has to be off that ship (not just standing on an outer deck on the ship) to zero out.  And since you went through immigration (remember those folks in the Australian Border Force uniforms right before your carryons were passed through the security check?)  once onboard you are onboard.

The turnaround letter, of course, does not come until well after you've boarded the first cruise. We now understand why the hotel offered to hold our bags when we checked out. I wish they had explained at the time. We live. We learn. We try to help others to learn. Folks on the later cruise Roll Calls, as well as on our upcoming October circumnavigation cruise have appreciated the heads up. 

Sone folks opted to reboard right after zeroing out. We chose to spend time in the delightfully walkable Rocks area and saw more of the gorgeous Royal Botanic Gardens each day. Our last walking day in Sydney was over a month and a half later than the first, and it was so lovely to see how the plants had changed with the season. 

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

The turnaround letter, of course, does not come until well after you've boarded the first cruise. We now understand why the hotel offered to hold our bags when we checked out. I wish they had explained at the time. We live. We learn. We try to help others to learn. Folks on the later cruise Roll Calls, as well as on our upcoming October circumnavigation cruise have appreciated the heads up. 

Sone folks opted to reboard right after zeroing out. We chose to spend time in the delightfully walkable Rocks area and saw more of the gorgeous Royal Botanic Gardens each day. Our last walking day in Sydney was over a month and a half later than the first, and it was so lovely to see how the plants had changed with the season. 

It is absolutely amazing the number of attractions within easy walking distance from the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney.

image.thumb.jpeg.c40fae5ada944cfb18215e6

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

It is absolutely amazing the number of attractions within easy walking distance from the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney.

image.thumb.jpeg.c40fae5ada944cfb18215e6

Definitely! 

On our first turn-around day, we walked to the Opera House and bought tickets for a tour on another day. We also bought tickets to see the outdoor opera for a later date. It was remarkable! We were sitting in Sydney Harbour, watching an opera, with the Sydney Opera House in the background. We even watched the Eclipse sail away for the three day cruise between our Fiji, Tonga, New Caledonia cruise and our Trans-Pac to Hawaii. 

We will be doing the reverse Trans-Pac to get back for land time, then the circumnav. Fun stuff. 

5 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We left the Eclipse in April after a B2B2B2B with all the turnaround days in Sydney.  B2B passengers had to actually leave the ship and could re-board with the embarking passengers.  There are so many interesting things to do within close proximity to the OPT it wasn't an issue.  

We join the Edge on October 30th and will leave after three segments on December 9.  Yorkey's Knob is the "access" point for Cairns.  In 2016, when we tendered into Yorkey's Knob, the tender location was at a yacht club.

Thanks -   We will be traveling with friends from Australia and they have both a home in Sydney and a ranch.   Their home in Sydney is within walking distance of the Cruise Terminal so will probably just get off the ship with them and spend time at their place until we are allowed to re-board.   We spend lots of time in Australia and really familiar with the Sydney area.

Look forward to seeing you again after so many years.

Jim

31 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I thought that the boarding staff at Sydney did an excellent job in verbally telling folks as you walked toward the Australian Border Force officers (on level two of the OPT)  that once we boarded we could not leave.   When we boarded we were verbally instructed, and again on each subsequent leg.  They were very clear.

Jim:  I don't think we have been on the same ship since the Millennium in 2018.  And what a trip that was. We expect to be back in Japan for a B2B in 2024 and plan to stay at the Yokohama hotel where we spent the night when evacuated from the ship.  We spent five nights in Tokyo after leaving the Millennium and so this time will work out of Yokohama for a few days.  G.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I thought that the boarding staff at Sydney did an excellent job in verbally telling folks as you walked toward the Australian Border Force officers (on level two of the OPT)  that once we boarded we could not leave.   When we boarded we were verbally instructed, and again on each subsequent leg.  They were very clear.

Jim:  I don't think we have been on the same ship since the Millennium in 2018.  And what a trip that was. We expect to be back in Japan for a B2B in 2024 and plan to stay at the Yokohama hotel where we spent the night when evacuated from the ship.  We spent five nights in Tokyo after leaving the Millennium and so this time will work out of Yokohama for a few days.  G.

So if I understand correctly we could potentially re-board the ship after zeroing out the ship but would not be permitted to go back ashore?    That also wold work for us.    We will be flying back to Sydney in March  for the April TransPacific and will be spending a week with our friend's - 

You are correct,  the last time we sailed together was back in 2018.   Definitely a memorable cruise being evacuated from the ship on turn around day due to a typhoon and then dodging 2 more on the next cruise.  

I have to say the Japan Immersion Cruse was one of our favorites.  

We are on Solstice B2B with turnaround day on arrival Sydney.  If I am reading this correctly, everyone has to depart the ship upon arrival  Sydney, then if we immediately reboard for the follow-on sailing, we cannot then go back ashore for the remainder of the day?  We have to be prepared to get off and stay off for the remainder of the day if we want to visit Sydney sights?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Your experience was definitely different from all 5 of our boardings. The staff were plentiful, delightfully friendly, and efficient, but not once were we told about the requirement to stay aboard. We were absolutely not alone in trying to disembark, and it seemed that the onboard security staff were a bit tired of having to tell people they couldn't leave. 

I'm very happy that your experience was different, and I think it would be wise if they went back to doing things that way. It defintely seems like a better way of doing things than having only one, fairly small sign. 

As we've disembarked after dropping bags multiple times on multiple continents in the past, it hadn't occured to me it would be an issue. In the future, I'll look into it before boarding. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

51 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

We are on Solstice B2B with turnaround day on arrival Sydney.  If I am reading this correctly, everyone has to depart the ship upon arrival  Sydney, then if we immediately reboard for the follow-on sailing, we cannot then go back ashore for the remainder of the day?  We have to be prepared to get off and stay off for the remainder of the day if we want to visit Sydney sights?

That is correct. Perhaps we will run into eachother on the Trans-Pac. 

Enjoy!