Apex Live — July 31

What A Market

2 minutes ago, doghog said:

Sounds like a common cold symptoms. Unless it's a covid breakout and mandated by the ship, no way. 

Ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure.  I really don't care for the look and feel of wearing a mask.  I wore one every work day for more than a year during the pandemic.  I'm glad that requirement is over.  OTOH there are lots of illnesses which can be spread by those who are coughing, sneezing, etc.  I would prefer not to get sick while on a cruise vacation, so I'll put up with a little inconvenience if it increases the odds of avoiding problems.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure.  I really don't care for the look and feel of wearing a mask.  I wore one every work day for more than a year during the pandemic.  I'm glad that requirement is over.  OTOH there are lots of illnesses which can be spread by those who are coughing, sneezing, etc.  I would prefer not to get sick while on a cruise vacation, so I'll put up with a little inconvenience if it increases the odds of avoiding problems.

No argument. We were practicing the same precautions long before covid. Me (us) either. We didn't and still don't live in a bubble and only wore a mask when it was made mandatory no matter what we were doing, where we were going or how we were traveling. We still haven't had covid. We never wore a mask pre covid or during covid (unless forced to) and not starting now because others are coughing, sneezing, etc.  Tapping out.

Sorry @What A Market for going sideways on your cruise. Glad you have taken us along. 🍷

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2

I'm sandwiched in between two cough monsters who occupy the cabins next to mine. Not too concerned as I ventilate fresh air through the window all day and night plus shut off my air vent because of the noise.

I feel bad for these two guys, it sounds horrible.

I'm much more shocked about how many people ignore the staff at Oceanview Cafe reminding them about handwashing or disinfecting. They just walk straight to the buffet. IMHO it should be mandatory to do either or be denied access to the restaurant.

• Like 15

On 8/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, The Traveling Man said:

@What A Market, Thank you for your review.  We have been on three of the E class ships, with reservations on the fourth for February.  When we have sailed in the Retreat, our go-to favorite restaurant has been Blu.  Have you tried it yet?  It's designed for Aqua class passengers, of course, but Retreat guests also can dine there when space is available.

A big thank you for your post on this. Checked out Blu’s menu on the App and they were serving their version of Osso Buco for that very evening (we’ve had it before and really enjoyed ).  I asked a Retreat Host to call down and check if the dish was gluten free. It was. And we were off!

Goran, the Blu Maitre D, welcomed us upon arrival, apologizing a window table wasn’t available. We were happy to sit in a quieter area at the front of the restaurant anyway. 

The meal and service were exceptional start to finish. 

image000000.jpeg

Edited by What A Market
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, What A Market said:

Goran, the Blu Maitre D, welcomed us upon arrival, apologizing a window table wasn’t available. We were happy to sit in a quieter area at the front of the restaurant anyway. 

All the windows of APEX BLU are obstructed by lifeboats, having a window seat there means nothing.

Goran is excellent, such a nice guy! I already enjoyed his service on Solstice last year. Service was very good in general this time.

Yesterday they had beef tartare on the menu and I just HAD to order two of them. Very well done!

Edited by Fly and Sail

8 hours ago, What A Market said:

A big thank you for your post on this. Checked out Blu’s menu on the App and they were serving their version of Osso Buco for that very evening (we’ve had it before and really enjoyed ).  I asked a Retreat Host to call down and check if the dish was gluten free. It was. And we were off!

image000000.jpeg

You're welcome.  Glad to know you found my comments helpful.

James

8 hours ago, What A Market said:

image000000.jpeg

Blu also has an outdoor seating area.  It only is available when the weather is nice, so you may not be able to take advantage of it on your current cruise.  Only once during our times at Blu did they offer it, and then only after we had finished our main course.  They invited us outside to enjoy our desserts as we watched the sunset.

Thanks for the informative review.  Will be on Apex next February, so enjoying the preview.

The last few menus you've posted from Tuscan and Normandie look like the ones I remember from the Edge earlier this year.  But that first one from the Cosmopolitan?  That was just sad.  I've seen better selection at an Applebees.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, What A Market said:

I used the masking emoji just to start a riot with those that enjoy such things. Lol

But no, no masking really happening. 
Some people wearing  masks as a personal choice, I guess. Very few. They probably did day one. Cool by me. 

Just new outbreaks in AUS/UK and very much upper respiratory, so hard to tell without testing.  Always a personal decision as to what to do.  

Edited by Lastdance

Wow, last day of the cruise already. Today is a sea day and we are churning our way back to Amsterdam.

Yesterday was Bergen. We had no plans other casual stroll into town to see some “sites” I identified from a free walking tour website. There are a number of covered food stalls on the water near the Bryggen historical neighborhood.  The seafood, in particular, looked amazing. We tried some fish soup/stew at one stall. Really tasty.  I was tempted to try the moose/deer burger at another stall, but passed. Wished now I had gone for it! 

Weather turned foul later in the afternoon. Strong winds and some rain.

My Windy weather app showed we were going to experience some really strong winds and higher seas in the evening yesterday and throughout the day today.  The Apex handles these really really well in my opinion. 

We did dinner again last night in Eden. Another awesome meal. I’ll past some more about that later.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 5:14 AM, Fly and Sail said:

All the windows of APEX BLU are obstructed by lifeboats, having a window seat there means nothing.

Goran is excellent, such a nice guy! I already enjoyed his service on Solstice last year. Service was very good in general this time.

Yesterday they had beef tartare on the menu and I just HAD to order two of them. Very well done!

good to know that APEX BLU has same bad views as EDGE..Glad we booked an SV on APEX instead of AQ Class with BLU

.  Views  from BLU on the BEYOND were amazing and hoping for same on ASCENT..

On 8/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, The Traveling Man said:

Blu also has an outdoor seating area.  It only is available when the weather is nice, so you may not be able to take advantage of it on your current cruise.  Only once during our times at Blu did they offer it, and then only after we had finished our main course.  They invited us outside to enjoy our desserts as we watched the sunset.

on EDGE is was not a pleasant area.. another reason curtains were kept closed.. good for sunset but not dining!