Passports

On 8/1/2023 at 9:17 AM, BND said:

Apparently it depends on which office it gets sent to for processing.  Mine was received May 19 and I got it 8 weeks and 6 days later from Tucson apparently.  It showed in process until it was actually mailed.

I'm really curious with what will happen with my renewal. I'm in Florida and apparently should have mailed it to the Irving, TX address for normal service. I sent it to the Philadelphia address by mistake. It has been received (June 16th), check cashed (June 20th), and is showing as processing. Hopefully not an issue since Philadelphia handles expedited for Florida.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BND said:

I received my old passport in the mail today.   So, 13 days after I received my new one.  Status had shown the old one was mailed 7/29.  

Us also. We received the old ones about 8 days after the new ones.

Cheers

Len

On 7/30/2023 at 7:09 PM, Giantfan13 said:

seems things are slowly picking up so it would give hope that the long waits are about over.

Cheers

Len

It's amazing what media attention will do to an issue!

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

It's amazing what media attention will do to an issue!

There was a huge increase in people traveling outside of the US this year.  As a result, there were huge increases in the number of passport applications starting back in the Spring.  Now that it's August and school starts back soon, there is less demand.  Pretty simple.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

There was a huge increase in people traveling outside of the US this year.  As a result, there were huge increases in the number of passport applications starting back in the Spring.  Now that it's August and school starts back soon, there is less demand.  Pretty simple.

I agree, that's part of it!

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

The media are usually weeks behind in reporting these things.

I don't know that I would use the word "usually", but I wouldn't argue the point.  It is true though that the media "usually" doesn't know about situations like this until they are tipped off by the public and that doesn't "usually" happen quickly.  And then they go out to gather the information.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, RedIguana said:

I'm really curious with what will happen with my renewal. I'm in Florida and apparently should have mailed it to the Irving, TX address for normal service. I sent it to the Philadelphia address by mistake. It has been received (June 16th), check cashed (June 20th), and is showing as processing. Hopefully not an issue since Philadelphia handles expedited for Florida.

Just an update. Book was issued with a date of August 3rd, received August 7th. So 8 days total priority mail or handling, and a day shy of 7 weeks from official received date and issuance. Total time was exactly 8 weeks, did not pay for expedited. Passport card has not yet arrived, nor has old card returned yet. My status has changed from in Progress to approved, with an expected arrival date 3 days from now, even though it was received 2 days ago. I suspect that is about when the card will show up.