Passports

We have a European Cruise in mid-October and then a TA back to the USA right afterward. We needed to renew our passports and heard about the long wait. We did it at the end of June which gave us about 13 weeks. Since we are worriers, we also used the expedited service but we still heard all the horror stories. Lo and behold, in today's mail, were our new passports, in just about 4 weeks. We live on Long Island in NY and we went thru our county Town Hall to do it.

I am hoping that others, who are in the same situation, are having the same luck and maybe all the horror stories are over.

Cheers

Len

• Like 8

On 7/29/2023 at 9:55 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

All of the above articles are from earlier this month.  

That was 4 weeks ago.  All the 1st hand reports I've seen on this forum report vastly improved response times.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:55 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

It's a good thought, but don't count on it...

All of the above articles are from earlier this month.  

Let's not focus on mass media fake news who make money on sensationalizing things to get "clicks". Focus on the current timelines, based on actual back log, from the State Department. 

image.png.2bf03b6bda4ebea3036448ebb40f0882.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

focus on mass media fake news

Like I said when you posted this on the other thread, the first hand actual reports on these threads are much more helpful than a stale government website image that was updated when?  BTW, still waiting for the source stating airlines that require 6 month passport vaildity.

20 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Like I said when you posted this on the other thread, the first hand actual reports on these threads are much more helpful than a stale government website image that was updated when?  BTW, still waiting for the source stating airlines that require 6 month passport vaildity.

Airlines, like cruise lines, require 6-month validity if the country visiting requires it.  And this is why (see #3 and especially #5):  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5986060-Why_do_airlines_require_6_months_validity-Air_Travel.html

BTW, my personal recent experience was DOS received my renewal application on May 9, 2023, and I got the renewed passport on or about July 22nd, not expedited.  I find the news reports hard to believe.   BTW, I got our old passports back yesterday.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Airlines,... require 6-month validity if the country visiting requires it. 

Source that for us, please (from an airline, not a 10 year old tripadvisor thread---especially since it references an airline that no longer exists).

Edited by jwlane

12 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Source that for us, please.

I gave you a link.  The source is all airlines that go to foreign countries that require the 6-month validity rule set by the country.  

And then there is this:

PassportExpand

A passport is required for all international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter the country. Passport cards will not be accepted as form of I.D. for international air travel.

Keep in mind:

• Some countries require your passport to be issued at least 6 months before the day you arrive.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/international-travel/international-travel.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav

OR

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/required-travel-documents/travel-from-the-us

REQUIRED TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

Travel Outside of the U.S.

When you’re traveling outside of the United States, make sure you have all required travel documents. A passport is required for all international travel. Remember, the name on your boarding pass must match the name on your government-issued passport. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay in a foreign country. Also, be sure to check to see if a visa is needed to visit your destination country. Please review all international destination entry requirements, opens in a new window prior to traveling.
Edited by Ret MP

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I gave you a link.  The source is all airlines that go to foreign countries that require the 6-month validity rule set by the country.  

And then there is this:

• Some countries require your passport to be issued at least 6 months before the day you arrive.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/international-travel/international-travel.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav

OR

https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/required-travel-documents/travel-from-the-us

In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months 

Like I said, your link refers to an airline that does not exist, and is more than 10 years old.  And thank you for proving my point!  American Ailines---"Some countries require"---NOT the airline.  Delta---"In general"---NOT always.  Here's United---"Note that some countries require passports to be valid for at least six months."---NOT the airline.  Air Canada---"Some countries require that your passport be valid for three or six months beyond your date of return. "---NOT the airline.

Edited by jwlane

1 minute ago, jwlane said:

Like I said, your link refers to an airline that does not exist WAIT, THAT'S NEWS TO ME.  American Airlines and Delta Airlines doesn't exist?  WOW, I must be really behind the times, and is more than 10 years old  Both links to the airlines aren't dated so how do you know they are over 10 years old.  So, they are current.  And thank you for proving my point!   American Ailines---"Some countries require"---NOT the airline.  Delta---"In general"---NOT always.  Here's United---"Note that some countries require passports And that's MY point! to be valid for at least six months."---NOT the airline.  Both say that Passports are required documents and to get into "SOME" countries, it requires a 6 month validity period.  It's the airline's responsbility to check required document so that they meet all requirements down the line.  Try to get on a flight to go to one of those countries without a 6 month validity period and see what the airlines does.  

Okay, this/you is/are getting petty.  Bye!

7 hours ago, jwlane said:

It was updated in the Spring when the backlog became 10-13 weeks and as it hadn't really changed, they haven't updated it.  People would be complaining if it was updated and was still taking longer.  There are lots of reports of people who didn't get their passports in time for trips and there are still people waiting the 10-13 weeks.  I waited 9.  What you're also seeing is a lot of people on here paid to expedite their passports so they are getting them quicker.  I know for example that my DIL's took 12 weeks after she lost hers and her and my DS couldn't book their trip to Iceland because of the wait.

My family also taking a TA October 27. My kids passports expire in February, leaving 95 days of validity after scheduled departure from schengen country. State department website says we need 90 days validity for Schengen travel. It seems most people are recommending 6 months validity. We are traveling now and can’t send off for renewal until we get back to the United States second week of August. That leaves maybe 9 weeks to renew before the TA. Which is the bigger risk? Trying to renew in a 9 week window, or traveling to a Schengen country with 95 days validity on my kids passport.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:45 AM, Giantfan13 said:

We have a European Cruise in mid-October and then a TA back to the USA right afterward. We needed to renew our passports and heard about the long wait. We did it at the end of June which gave us about 13 weeks. Since we are worriers, we also used the expedited service but we still heard all the horror stories. Lo and behold, in today's mail, were our new passports, in just about 4 weeks. We live on Long Island in NY and we went thru our county Town Hall to do it.

I am hoping that others, who are in the same situation, are having the same luck and maybe all the horror stories are over.

Cheers

Len

We’ll see you on both those cruises……odyssey right?

1 hour ago, Dan83 said:

My family also taking a TA October 27. My kids passports expire in February, leaving 95 days of validity after scheduled departure from schengen country. State department website says we need 90 days validity for Schengen travel. It seems most people are recommending 6 months validity. We are traveling now and can’t send off for renewal until we get back to the United States second week of August. That leaves maybe 9 weeks to renew before the TA. Which is the bigger risk? Trying to renew in a 9 week window, or traveling to a Schengen country with 95 days validity on my kids passport.

I vote trying to renew in a 9 week window...The passport agency received our passport renewal on May 23...today marks the 10th week and it still shows in process. Site says expect 10-13 weeks.

39 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I vote trying to renew in a 9 week window...The passport agency received our passport renewal on May 23...today marks the 10th week and it still shows in process. Site says expect 10-13 weeks.

Apparently it depends on which office it gets sent to for processing.  Mine was received May 19 and I got it 8 weeks and 6 days later from Tucson apparently.  It showed in process until it was actually mailed.  I'm still waiting on my old passport to be sent back.    If they expedite, they'll have it in time.

Edited by BND

On 7/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, BirdTravels said:

Let's not focus on mass media fake news who make money on sensationalizing things to get "clicks". Focus on the current timelines, based on actual back log, from the State Department. 

image.png.2bf03b6bda4ebea3036448ebb40f0882.png

Do you not consider 10-13 weeks "long"?  

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Do you not consider 10-13 weeks "long"?  

I know that you didn't ask me, but this is a discussion board, eh.

I consider it long.  However, they did deliver what they advertised, at least for me and I'm no fan of the U.S. Government bureaucracy.  Hell, Amazon can't seem to deliver what they advertise, often.    

13 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

OP-you know how life works…… you got yours back early because you gave yourselves plenty of time.😀 If you had waited till closer to your travel date, there would’ve been some sort of delay.

m

But on reading and hearing all the 'horror' stories, we opted for expedited service. 

Seems we probably didn't need it, as several others have had the same experience as us.

But, as you said, if I had waited...................

Cheers

Len