Does the NCL buffet still have lots of Asian items? (Particularly in Europe)

Velvetwater

Hi 

Last time we were with NCL on the Jade in Europe they had things like congee rice porridge and curry for breakfast. Do they still do this? We also enjoyed the biscuits n gravy.

The lunch and dinner options also had  good range of daal and curry and South East Asian classics each day like Adobo and fried noodles etc.

Is this still the case? Will be on the dawn doing the Baltics in 2 weeks.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Hi 

Last time we were with NCL on the Jade in Europe they had things like congee rice porridge and curry for breakfast. Do they still do this? We also enjoyed the biscuits n gravy.

The lunch and dinner options also had  good range of daal and curry and South East Asian classics each day like Adobo and fried noodles etc.

Thanks

We were on the June 22nd 10nt Baltic on the Dawn, and yes, they did! They had one Indian dish plus chapatis at breakfast. It wasn't the same dish everyday but always tasty (and always vegetarian). It was by the congee, and they were only on ONE side of the buffet. I didn't find it the first couple of days, as a result. (Certainly possible that it'll move, but it was the buffet line on the right side as you enter.)

I don't recall eating lunch in the buffet ever. We didn't have any sea days so we were always in port, and we ate in the MDR on embarkation day. Can't help there.

For dinner, they definitely had at least a couple of Indian dishes plus rice and accompaniments every night. The daal is really good. I found the Indian food in the buffet to be much better than the MDR dinners. There were other Asian things near it, too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Hi 

Thanks

Yes, you will be able to get Asian foods on the buffet. 

No, the restaurant manager will not cook you food to order. 

I have traveled a number of times with Noel (Restaurant Manager- Dawn), he goes out of his way to make sure that I have food I can eat (have a number of food issues).

I currently have a friend on a different Norwegian ship now, she is having food specifically prepared for her (she has very a very specific food issue).

It can be done  Ask

• Like 1

Hey I never asked for food to be specially cooked for me at the buffet.

Just have certain tastes that I prefer eating.

We noted on the Jade in 2017 that the Asian offerings weren't too bad compared to usual Asian offerings at a buffet. I believe the head Chef was SE Asian so that probably helped.

10 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I have traveled a number of times with Noel (Restaurant Manager- Dawn), he goes out of his way to make sure that I have food I can eat (have a number of food issues).

I currently have a friend on a different Norwegian ship now, she is having food specifically prepared for her (she has very a very specific food issue).

It can be done  Ask

Yes, if you have a disclosed food allergy or food restrictions, the cruise line is obligated to prepare food that keeps you safe.

You are on NCL steerage, not Cunard Grill Class (where we have had the Maitre D come and cook for us tableside). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2023 at 2:46 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yes, you will be able to get Asian foods on the buffet. 

No, the restaurant manager will not cook you food to order. 

I’m currently getting food cooked to order. Of course they will do this, but it takes effort on the part of the passenger to communicate well.

• Like 1

We're usually in Improved Steerage class.  We usually enjoy NCL food, MDR, buffet, or specialty.  On the Jade earlier this year, there was Asian food in buffet.

I guess we are just glad we don't have to shop, cook, clean.  We feel pampered on cruises.

Congee on the Dawn every morning, but it is not vegetarian. It has chicken and is quite heavily salted with lots of ginger. I liked it, but if you need something plainer, they have oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits.

The Indian dish was usually chickpeas in the morning, with fried rotis. Lunchtime there was always fried rice, white rice, and several Chinese and Indian dishes, often mislabeled. Typically one meat and one veggie, plus dal. Poppadums and sauces. For some reason the rotis are behind the counter and you have to request them.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, YVRteacher said:

I’m currently getting food cooked to order. Of course they will do this, but it takes effort on the part of the passenger to communicate well.

To be fair you have specific dietary restrictions and have had trouble with the standard offerings. I am sure that you wouldn't advocate for everyone to insist on food cooked to order just on a whim. For example I couldn't walk up to the indian food counter and insist that they make me a chicken tikka masala or Kashmiri chicken just because there was nothing there that I fancied.

55 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Congee on the Dawn every morning, but it is not vegetarian. It has chicken and is quite heavily salted with lots of ginger. I liked it, but if you need something plainer, they have oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits.

The Indian dish was usually chickpeas in the morning, with fried rotis. Lunchtime there was always fried rice, white rice, and several Chinese and Indian dishes, often mislabeled. Typically one meat and one veggie, plus dal. Poppadums and sauces. For some reason the rotis are behind the counter and you have to request them.

I prefer to add my own toppings but I add lots of soy and onion at home anyway so sounds good.

On P&O Oz their congee station had a topping bar so I changed my veg and meat combos each day.