Inaugural Sailing Observations

Keith1010

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

According to a post from K - it's on the wall near the Bistro.

It was my good friend and Crystal mentor, PTIgirl, who had asked Keith about it, b/c she hadn’t seen it. That’s why I wondered if it had magically then appeared, or … what?

😃

2 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

I am currently in a classic Aquamarine suite. There are two outlets that will accept 120v. Both  at the desks.

As an aside, neither the carpet or the furniture was replaced. Both have seen better days. With all of the renovations, this seems to be the easiest to do. And several guests that I have talked to feel the same way.

Still happy to be on Crystal even with worn carpet.

Umi last pm was great as usual. It is a beautiful room. Looking forward to trying Osteria.

To this I say, that’s the price you pay to have a bathtub. I will gladly pay it, b/c I really don’t care much about carpet and furniture. In fact, if we list, say, 25 things that might impact my own personal enjoyment on a cruise, that would be number 24 or 25.

Glad to hear about Umi. Enjoy Osteria.

Heck, enjoy the whole thing! Please have a soak in the tub for me, if you’re so inclined. I lost my bathtub when we moved to a condo in 2020 and I miss it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, USC Adventurer said:

Mary B,

thanks for the restaurant information 🙂

Definitely looking forward to your feedback once you step aboard Crystal.

Did I tell you we almost didn’t go to Umi Uma on our first Crystal? Luckily we ran into acquaintances from home, who were not Crystal newbies. She urged us to dine with them at Umi Uma, and we agreed to try it, so she changed her reservation from two to four and of course we loved it. Now they’re our very good friends, and the four of us will dine there in November, G-d willing and the Creek don’t rise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

I am currently in a classic Aquamarine suite. There are two outlets that will accept 120v. Both  at the desks.

As an aside, neither the carpet or the furniture was replaced. Both have seen better days. With all of the renovations, this seems to be the easiest to do. And several guests that I have talked to feel the same way.

Still happy to be on Crystal even with worn carpet.

Umi last pm was great as usual. It is a beautiful room. Looking forward to trying Osteria.

Just to add it is the new constructed suites that have the extra outlets and the B and C plugs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, May B said:

To this I say, that’s the price you pay to have a bathtub. I will gladly pay it, b/c I really don’t care much about carpet and furniture. In fact, if we list, say, 25 things that might impact my own personal enjoyment on a cruise, that would be number 24 or 25.

Glad to hear about Umi. Enjoy Osteria.

Heck, enjoy the whole thing! Please have a soak in the tub for me, if you’re so inclined. I lost my bathtub when we moved to a condo in 2020 and I miss it!

My post was intended to merely point out a fact which may or may not affect one’s choice in booking the classic or a newer suite. And thank you, We will enjoy every minute of this cruise.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

My post was intended to merely point out a fact which may or may not affect one’s choice in booking the classic or a newer suite. And thank you, We will enjoy every minute of this cruise.

We join next week in an Aquamarine on Deck 10. We were expecting the lovely looking suite shown on the Crystal website, and will be very disappointed to get an older unrefurbished suite showing its age on what we thought was a ‘newly updated’ ship. Are there new Aquamarines we should investigate as an alternative? 

14 minutes ago, gaspari said:

We join next week in an Aquamarine on Deck 10. We were expecting the lovely looking suite shown on the Crystal website, and will be very disappointed to get an older unrefurbished suite showing its age on what we thought was a ‘newly updated’ ship. Are there new Aquamarines we should investigate as an alternative? 

If you go to the Crystal website, call up the deckplan of Serenity, and hold your cursor over your room number, you will see a descrption as to when the room was renovated. I know there are 3 choices for Sapphire - classic, redesigned 2018, and redesigned 2023.  I am unsure if the same 3 choices apply to Aquamarine.

https://crystalcruises.com/ship/serenity

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crickette said:

If you go to the Crystal website, call up the deckplan of Serenity, and hold your cursor over your room number, you will see a descrption as to when the room was renovated. I know there are 3 choices for Sapphire - classic, redesigned 2018, and redesigned 2023.  I am unsure if the same 3 choices apply to Aquamarine.

https://crystalcruises.com/ship/serenity

Thank you. Have done this, and ours says  ‘classic’. Guess this may mean older than 2018? The pic on the website looked lovely and modern?

22 minutes ago, gaspari said:

Thank you. Have done this, and ours says  ‘classic’. Guess this may mean older than 2018? The pic on the website looked lovely and modern?

The 2018 refers to the SeaBreeze decor, most easily recognized by the bed without a bedskirt (edit to add: and turquoise items).  See Bayonejoe #150 on this thread - it seems to say minimal refresh.  For photos, the best I can offer are on Keith's blog when he captured the show suites:

https://www.followourtrips.com/cruising-the-bahamas/archives/09-2021

Edited by crickette

1 hour ago, gaspari said:

See post #96 from the above thread for Keth's photos of the classic Aquamarine on Serenity.

The Crystal Captains party was back and alive and well.

It included the recognition of a woman we know who achieved her 100th milestone.

We haven't been to one of these since 2019 as they weren't doing them in 2021.

Keith

I think back to comments from just a few people about how new Crystal would be so different than the old. and the pushback on comments such as the majority of the crew will be back, and to things like service would be as good as before, and so many other areas that we have come to love about Crystal.  Oh, and I remember one saying "you don't know the new owner" and he won't keep the Crystal experience but make it the SS experience. All of that pushback and negativity is completely wrong.  100% wrong.  Each day what I and others see is the Crystal we have come to love.  And enhanced.

Then some of the same people warned against sailing on the inaugural. They said prepare for a cancellation.  They said lots will be wrong. Well what was wrong was they were wrong.

Is everything perfect? No. But what is.

The major areas needing work are mainly IT related. This includes telephones in some rooms, more stability of televisions but better yesterday than earlier with less freezing of the sets, the rollout of the iPads as they assumed very little paper.  Some items that were to be delivered to the ship got hung up related to food and beverage although that can happen anytime.  And yes, closet space in the new doubles/solos will be challenging but the latter is not inaugural sailing specific.

I guess I have always taken the view that the sky is not falling.  I also don't get caught up in all the negativity. In fact, when I see a lot of negativity often from people it makes me more positive.

Anyway, my key observation is Crystal is back and if you loved old Crystal you will love the new product.

In fact, other than Crystal rather than Crystal Cruises I will do my best not to say new and/or old because this product Crystal is Crystal Cruises enhanced.

For Anne Marie and myself it was worth the wait.

Keith

• Like 6

11 hours ago, crickette said:

The 2018 refers to the SeaBreeze decor, most easily recognized by the bed without a bedskirt (edit to add: and turquoise items).  See Bayonejoe #150 on this thread - it seems to say minimal refresh.  For photos, the best I can offer are on Keith's blog when he captured the show suites:

https://www.followourtrips.com/cruising-the-bahamas/archives/09-2021

Thank you camillus, crickette and seaworthy for all the helpful information and pics. Will see if there are any 2018 updated ones available for next week.

28 minutes ago, gaspari said:

Thank you camillus, crickette and seaworthy for all the helpful information and pics. Will see if there are any 2018 updated ones available for next week.

If a bathtub is important then you'll want a classic. If it is not may I suggest one of the newer ones on Deck 9 or 8. versus what used to be known as Seabreeze found on Deck 10.

Keith

14 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

If a bathtub is important then you'll want a classic. If it is not may I suggest one of the newer ones on Deck 9 or 8. versus what used to be known as Seabreeze found on Deck 10.

Keith

I have to correct myself as on deck 8 and 9 are the new sapphire suites not Aquamarine. 

I do want to add on Serenity I prefer Classic Aquamarine over the ones created in 2018. The classics are larger, have two desks and a coffee table which can be raised.  

Keith. 

41 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I have to correct myself as on deck 8 and 9 are the new sapphire suites not Aquamarine. 

I do want to add on Serenity I prefer Classic Aquamarine over the ones created in 2018. The classics are larger, have two desks and a coffee table which can be raised.  

Keith. 

Thank you Keith.  Good to know. May be sensible to just wait and see on our suite then. Looking forward to the cruise anyway.

• Like 1