Inaugural Sailing Observations

Keith1010

6 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

But it's about the posters.  The one for Kong is a classic, as is Gone With The Wind.

And as for Mary Poppins....well, Dame Julie Andrews IS the Godmother of the Serenity.

It's a nice subtle tribute that I've always appreciated.

How about some newer releases? We’re all old enough to have seen these especially if we have grandkids. How many times do I need to see Home Alone all alone?

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

But it's about the posters.  The one for Kong is a classic, as is Gone With The Wind.

And as for Mary Poppins....well, Dame Julie Andrews IS the Godmother of the Serenity.

It's a nice subtle tribute that I've always appreciated.

The posters are nice but I was referring to the awful movies usually seen in the theatre. In 27 years we've gone to 2. 

When we entered Waterside last evening and the wait staff was all lined up almost everyone on the line we knew.  Just a reminder of so many who have returned.

Now, this is going to vary by department and even by ship.

Keith

They are trying out different things at the Cove. As they have done awhile back in additional to pianist you have performances by others such as Violinist and Guitarist.  Last night before dinner we had DJ Emotion playing 60's and 70's music. It was truly background music so you can carry on a conversation.  

Keith

Let's talk wine.

Inclusive wine is the same type of wine as we know from previous Crystal Cruises.

So are the Sommeliers. Only one new Sommelier on-board.

If you enjoy wine and that includes learning and/or drinking wine what you will remember about your previous Crystal cruises has not changed.

The experience continues to be outstanding.

Keith

So I don't get accused as being Mr. Positive what are the top items that are being sorted out and guests might mention.

Telephones. There are still some rooms where phones are not working and this is a work in progress.  

Televisions. Some freezing of the channels although far less now than before.

Internet. First off overall the internet is better than it's ever been IMHO.  It is expected to get even faster.  In time additional packages at a cost will be offered but the one we are experiencing which will get even better is inclusive.

iPads. These are not yet in the room and this is why we don't have things like paper restaurant menus delivered to the room. I suppose you could ask for one.

Cold on the ship.  Some will say it is cold but I would say it's been like this the last few years.  As my wife reminds me it is better from a health perspective for it to be on the cooler side. With that said we are all shaped differently so if you are on the lighter side you are more apt to be cold than if you are on the larger side and as we've been doing in past years just bring a light jacket with us.

Osteria d"Ovidio or should I say Prego.  Some like us are very pleased that there is a new restaurant while more people wish Prego was back.  

Shore excursion maps.  There will be a new design of maps and port information but that is not yet available. Near term and possibly as soon as today there will be maps from the past that they will have available.  

But if you take this list and say what are the top items that people will say are issues for them.

Telephones (if your rooms telephone is not working), television, Prego.

At the same time even with a few issues the people will say they are having a wonderful time and this is Crystal as they remember it. And many won't even mention any issues.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Keith, thanks for your objective balanced posts.  I’m one of Crystal’s biggest fans and counting the days until I board Serenity in October. I appreciate your observations of areas needing improvement above and would add to your list the reduced drawer space and closet space in the single and double rooms with / without veranda. I’m hoping that Crystal is taking  a look at this and is developing a plan to address this with additional shelves near the desk (as there used to be) or some other solution. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, happy cruising said:

Keith, thanks for your objective balanced posts.  I’m one of Crystal’s biggest fans and counting the days until I board Serenity in October. I appreciate your observations of areas needing improvement above and would add to your list the reduced drawer space and closet space in the single and double rooms with / without veranda. I’m hoping that Crystal is taking  a look at this and is developing a plan to address this with additional shelves near the desk (as there used to be) or some other solution. 

I know they are aware.

I didn't mention this only because it's only been mentioned by one or two people I spoke with.

Keith

In many ways, it's been nice not to look at dining menus in advance.

Tonight we go to Tastes for first time this cruise.  Haven't asked to look at the menu.

For Waterside we just show up and look at the dinner menu when the Senior Waiter brings it out to us.  A little surprise is nice.  Why not?  Friends of ours have done this for years.

Special orders. Why?  Haven't ask. So much great food to choose from.  The menu last night had so many choices; even three different types of seafood.  

And speaking of food something that Crystal really does well is consistency which some cruise lines grapple with.  This was not always the case years ago but I have found it to be the case in the last few years we sailed Crystal and on this cruise. Consistency amongst the choice cuts of beef and seafood and preparation.  

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Let's talk wine.

Inclusive wine is the same type of wine as we know from previous Crystal Cruises.

So are the Sommeliers. Only one new Sommelier on-board.

If you enjoy wine and that includes learning and/or drinking wine what you will remember about your previous Crystal cruises has not changed.

The experience continues to be outstanding.

Keith

Currently on board,

we have noticed some wines that were on our last cruise, January 2022.

In particular a 2018 C Reserve Pinot Noir. IMO it is drinking well.

Unfortunately it is the only Pinot Noir on the inclusive list at this time. I’m sure in time this will change and there will be more choices.

Last evening we had a 2018 Chateau Macquin , which we enjoyed and this may become our go to  default red wine. At least for the time being

we are enjoying every minute of this cruise. It is good to be home.

• Like 6

Random thoughts:

Keith is right about the Sommeliers on Crystal vs other lines.  I have experienced many instances where they have offered useful guidance.  And there are times when a sommelier just appeared and suggested I try a different wine with  an appetizer.  Above and beyond....  Wonderful to know they are back from OC.

Telephones/Televisions: New ship issues.  I am confident they will be resolved.  In any case, I don't use either much.

Anne Marie is absolutely correct with her comment about colder temperatures being more healthy from a health prospective.  I view this as a positive.  While I am tall, I am not a heavy individual.

I was not very impressed with Prego.  Looking forward to OO.  Impressed by the reports regarding Waterside, which I thought superior to Prego in OC.

Shore excursion/ port information hard copies.  These are essential.  I trust this will be implemented soon.

Internet. Based on the volume of posts from the ship it must be working well enough.  I know there are some who need to do business on board; new packages should take care of that.  I used to compose emails in my room, then go to the computer room (where the signal was stronger) to send. 

Storage in the smaller rooms:  This is a problem, one I hope will be worked on.  But I can make it work. 

Movies were mentioned.  I can remember several new or nearly new releases I watched at the theater onboard.  Mule, Midnight in Paris, and one of the Hobbit movies among them.  

• Like 1

Dwight I agree with all you have said.

This also includes the movies. We used to go to the movies on board and enjoyed many movies and these days we look what is offered to get ideas what to see when we get home and several we have seen and enjoyed.

Keith

I am really impressed with all that I hear, especially bearing in mind this is the inaugural and there are bound to be a few minor inconveniences. Great to hear that there are so many positives and that the negatives seem to be few and rather minor in nature.

Having put matters ( I hope) in perspective, could I perhaps make a couple of observations. Firstly, OC had some really good production shows in the theatre but these currently seem to be absent. The only ones seem to be the cabaret lounge smaller juke-box style shows. Are the large-scale production shows ( eg Icons, Speakeasy) going to be re-introduced and is the delay due to getting the artistes up to speed ?

Secondly, I note that the Bistro now sadly closes when dinner service starts. Candidly, we thought the Bistro coffee was far superior to that offered in Waterside and we often enjoyed a post-meal coffee there, perhaps with a decadent mini-dessert or chocolate truffle etc. We also often had a late night hot chocolate there before retiring. Is there now anywhere to get these offerings ? Has the Waterside coffee now reached Bistro's very high standards ?

Please take these thoughts in the spirit they are intended....

Edited by kool kruiser
typo
  • Like 1

Nervous about the cooler temperatures on board.

Had  to have my room heating fixed the last time I was on Serenity and needed my shawls and cardigans all the time.

This time we will be coming off an Endeavour Arctic cruise so just might retain some of my cold weather clothes. Though i think it would be a bit off colour walking around the ship in an SS parka. No not doing it! 

I wonder if the large production shows are missing because they are still developing them, getting cast and then need to do enough rehearsals to make the great.  We were on a Crystal cruise a few years ago where there were no shows but you could hear them rehearsing so maybe next cruise got them.

9 hours ago, ctjon said:

I wonder if the large production shows are missing because they are still developing them, getting cast and then need to do enough rehearsals to make the great.  We were on a Crystal cruise a few years ago where there were no shows but you could hear them rehearsing so maybe next cruise got them.

There are still a number of production shows. This evening is Icons in Concert and last evening was Sweet Soul Music both production shows.

Keith

9 hours ago, Emdee said:

Nervous about the cooler temperatures on board.

Had  to have my room heating fixed the last time I was on Serenity and needed my shawls and cardigans all the time.

This time we will be coming off an Endeavour Arctic cruise so just might retain some of my cold weather clothes. Though i think it would be a bit off colour walking around the ship in an SS parka. No not doing it! 

I would just be prepared. You never know. The same can happen in Hotels. Anne Marie always tell me wherever we stay the thermostat is for decoration.

It's not going to be very cold the entire day and evening. Right now early morning it is not. It does vary. I find certain stores in shopping malls to be very cold.

And some of this varies by person. I can be cold and Anne Marie is hot.

I think it is a good idea to have a light jacket so if you are cold you can put it on as I sometimes do.

Keith 

• Like 2

A few people have asked about the start times of shows. In general they will begin either 9:30 or 10:00 pm with one showing and on some nights you have two different completely shows.

I did want to note that this evening has an earlier time with a 30 minute performance in the Palm Court by vocalist Bruce Hammond. This is something new as it is being held in Palm Court and in terms of time will start at 9:30 PM.

At 9:45 pm there will be a peformance of Icons in Concert in the Galaxy Lounge.

Keith

I appreciate that Crystal is trying out different entertainment times and venues as well as types of shows, etc.  It will give them a good idea what guests like and also the opportunity for guests to try new things.  We don't know what we might like until we experience it!

~Nancy

• Like 1

With each passing day the internet is getting better.

As some of you know performance of the internet is a pet peeve of mine and when it is bad I have discussed it on CC.

The past couple of days the performance has been the best we have experienced with Crystal and for us the best we have experienced on any cruise line.

I can even view the videos that Dwight posted on a separate thread.

Keith

On 8/5/2023 at 2:00 PM, FlyerTalker said:

So if I want to have any kind of port reference off the ship, I'll have to carry the iPad around town?  And they will work ashore?  Or if those stay aboard, does that mean being without any town information?

Sounds like a rush to technology that's a major fail when it comes to practicality.

Do you have a smart phone? If you do you can pull up any town in the world and get gps directions to any place you want to go

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, NWX said:

The posters are nice but I was referring to the awful movies usually seen in the theatre. In 27 years we've gone to 2. 

All movies this cruise are from 2021-2023

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are fine tuning the start times of the shows and trying to see if they can have something at 9:00 AM in addition to other shows later for those dining early. Maybe even slightly earlier.  The goal is to have consistent times which will help all of us when booking specialty restaurant reservations.

Keith