LOWER MANHATTAN / FINANCIAL DISTRICT HOTELS

marti2282

We’re sailing from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in the fall and have compiled a short list of hotels. Opinions on these, please, and others that might be better choices. Trying to stay for less than $400 per night.  Thanks!

— Hyatt Centric, Wall Street 

— Courtyard by Marriott on Pearl

— Hampton Inn Seaport / Financial Dist on Pearl

— DoubleTree on Stone 

Appreciate your feedback!

Edited by marti2282

How many nights are you in NYC for?  If more than one, I'm not sure why you are concentrating on staying so far south in Manhattan.  There are also Brooklyn options if your visit *is* just one night

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

How many nights are you in NYC for?  If more than one, I'm not sure why you are concentrating on staying so far south in Manhattan.  There are also Brooklyn options if your visit *is* just one night

We will be in NYC for just two nights and have plans downtown.  Thanks

2 hours ago, marti2282 said:

Thank you.

You will be near all the sights down there. Wall Street, Stock Exchange, Trade Center, 9-11 Memorial & Museum, South St Seaport, Gouverneur Island, World Financial Center and Brooklyn Bridge. Chinatown and Little Italy.. Statue of Liberty......

• Like 1

I actually stayed at the Doubletree Stone Street. The location is excellent. If the price is less expensive than the other choices it’s good. The only issue is that the elevators are terrible. You sometimes have to wait longer than you want. 

We'll be taking Amtrak into the city the day before our sailing out of Brooklyn and have been looking at Wall St area hotels as well. Planning on taking the ferry over to Red Hook the morning of our sailing. Not sure if that'd beat finding a hotel in Brooklyn and taking the bus. I've more experience riding the subway in the city than the bus but not sure what would be easier with luggage. Also much fewer subway stops in Brooklyn that in Manhattan and (as far as I can tell) none within walking distance of the port.

4 minutes ago, lumofny said:

Planning on taking the ferry over to Red Hook the morning of our sailing. Not sure if that'd beat finding a hotel in Brooklyn and taking the bus.

In terms of convenience, the Manhattan hotel plus ferry option would likely be incrementally better than a Brooklyn hotel plus bus option. The reason is that the ferry landing in Red Hook, Brooklyn, is immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, while the bus stop in Red Hook, Brooklyn, is a few blocks distant and would require an additional less-than one-quarter mile (5 minute) walk to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Of course, that slight advantage in distance on the Red Hook, Brooklyn, end could be obviated if the hotel in lower Manhattan were distant from Pier 11, the location from where the ferry departs. Note that the bus departs from downtown Brooklyn, on Smith Street, between Livingston Street and Fulton Street, which is conveniently less than a one-quarter mile (5 minute) walk from the Brooklyn Marriott. Either option, lower Manhattan or Brooklyn, would be practicable. You would likely be best served by comparing hotels, choosing based on price, proximity to either Pier 11 or the the Smith Street bus stop, and the general surroundings of the hotel (i.e., lower Manhattan vs. downtown Brooklyn).

Most buses in New York City these days are low floor, with no steps, and so bringing baggage with you on the bus has generally become easier. Sometimes rush hour crowding can make things more difficult, but the bus to Red Hook, route B61, is rarely crowded and unlikely to present those concerns. If you're able to manage your baggage on the subway, then you should be able to do so as well on either the bus or the ferry.

There are no subway stations in Red Hook, Brooklyn. It would not be practicable to consider using the subway unless one is desirous of both (1) descending from the highest subway station in New York City, Smith-Ninth Streets station (87-1/2 feet above the ground), and (2) walking one and one-quarter mile from that station to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

13 hours ago, lumofny said:

We'll be taking Amtrak into the city the day before our sailing out of Brooklyn and have been looking at Wall St area hotels as well. Planning on taking the ferry over to Red Hook the morning of our sailing. Not sure if that'd beat finding a hotel in Brooklyn and taking the bus. I've more experience riding the subway in the city than the bus but not sure what would be easier with luggage. Also much fewer subway stops in Brooklyn that in Manhattan and (as far as I can tell) none within walking distance of the port.

There are a number of good hotels in lower Manhattan (near many good places to eat and interesting sights to see) which are within easy walking distance to the pier to the ferry to take you across to right next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal-  while there is little in the way of comparable options in Brooklyn.