RCCL and Carnival cruiser with some basic questions have 3 NCl booked

nimbex1970

Thanks in advance, our first of 3 NCL booked, I have used the search option, but it uses each key work and gets wonky and off-topic from there.  So going forward:

1. I have the free at-sea dining package for 2, one meal. We are 100 days from sailing on a nine-night on the sky we were able to book additional specialty restaurants for ala carte, but cannot book our comped dining.  This has to be done on arrival? We already have 3 booked, can we work this in somehow for a basic credit?  I do NOT wish to purchase the grouped dining as we looked at the menu and really prefer multiple apps and freedom to do such, ty in advance.

2. Bottled water is not included in the free at-sea basic drink package.  Do we just bring a tumbler?  Thoughts on this?

3. The dreaded clothing question, we are coming from Alaska in the Bush, to Miami (4 to 5 legs of trips with multiple variable fees for luggage), and then spending another 25 days in the lower 48 states before and after this cruise.  So luggage IS very tight.  With specialty restaurants, I've researched I can wear an appropriate sun dress in heels, and my husband needs a pair of khakis with a collared shirt.  (small ship, we booked all three restaurants, the steak house, the Italian, and the French one).  Are long pants mandated, if so, good with us, just need to know... not opinions, please. Oh if a moderate sun dress is not ok for dinner, I mean knee length, not showing off the gals, let me know too. 

3b. If the clothing guidelines I have read are accurate for me and the husband, NOT starting a war with dress code folks, been there/done that... what shoes for men are acceptable in these three food specialties venues, and closet space on this ship is tight, is there laundry that isn't boiled and burn on board?

4. I read through so many sources I can bring wine, but no bottled water.  Please confirm or deny this.  

Ty you all in advance, It's very difficult to switch to a new line, where previously here I was so easily frustrated with the very same questions that were posed on other boards.  I sincerely thank you in advance and let us NOT get into a dress code war!  We are traveling 5200 miles and need to pack smart. 

• Like 1

1. The majority of reservations open on embarkation day. You can make your reservations then but do it quickly as others on the ship will try to do the same. You can decide on the ship to use your SDP at any restaurant that accepts it. Even if you order extra when using a SDP, you just pay for what is not covered. 

2. You can bring an empty container (fill using sanitary methods) or ask for a glass of water at any bar or restaurant. 

3/3b. Certain restaurants require long pants (check the dailies for your cruise) and a sun dress will work in any restaurant. Sneakers can be worn in any restaurant on the ship. 

4. If you have a beverage package (probably through the promo), you can bring bottled wine onboard without a corkage fee. If you don't have a package, a corkage fee applies to whatever number of bottles that you bring onboard. 

Bottled water cannot be brought onboard "...with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula."

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

(small ship, we booked all three restaurants, the steak house, the Italian, and the French one).  Are long pants mandated, if so, good with us, just need to know... not opinions, please.

Of the three restaurants you mention, only the French one, Le Bistro requires long pants So yes, they are mandated for that restaurant. Maybe Cagney's (steakhouse) does, but I don't believe so. La Cucina (Italian) does not. 

See, I can do a dress code question without my opinion. 

Have a great time!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Op you have already booked your comped dining. You can use it in any of the three speciality restaurants you have already booked. When you go into the restaurant on the ship they will ask you how you’d like to pay (free at sea dinner, additional meal plan if you bought one of just pay a la carte). Just say you’d like to use the free at sea dinner and you are all set. They can see it when they swipe your card. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

3. The dreaded clothing question, we are coming from Alaska in the Bush, to Miami (4 to 5 legs of trips with multiple variable fees for luggage), and then spending another 25 days in the lower 48 states before and after this cruise.  So luggage IS very tight.  With specialty restaurants, I've researched I can wear an appropriate sun dress in heels, and my husband needs a pair of khakis with a collared shirt.  (small ship, we booked all three restaurants, the steak house, the Italian, and the French one).  Are long pants mandated, if so, good with us, just need to know... not opinions, please. Oh if a moderate sun dress is not ok for dinner, I mean knee length, not showing off the gals, let me know too. 

3b. If the clothing guidelines I have read are accurate for me and the husband, NOT starting a war with dress code folks, been there/done that... what shoes for men are acceptable in these three food specialties venues, and closet space on this ship is tight, is there laundry that isn't boiled and burn on board?

One thing you may like about NCL is that it is *very* casual, and you won't get the freaking out about dress codes, hats and shorts that you do on the other lines. We always joke that it makes Carnival/Royal Caribbean feel like a Cunard formal night much of the time... there's not an expectation of dressing up in the evening. It also allows us to pack very light compared to the other lines. 

Generally, there will be one MDR that says they require long pants (aka jeans). Le Bistro (and ships with Ocean Blue) also says they require long pants and a collared shirt. Everywhere else, as long as you're not wearing a bathing suit, you'll be fine for dinner. Cagney's, and the other specialty dining venues are absolutely casual, shorts are 100% okay.

Speaking from experience, enforcement of the collared shirt/pants recommendation varies widely... we've had friends and family wearing shorts/t-shirts in Le Bistro without issue, and I've seen reports that aft MDR "no shorts" enforcement on some ship has been disbanded. If anything, the line has gotten more casual since the restart of cruising, not more formal. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Thanks in advance, our first of 3 NCL booked, I have used the search option, but it uses each key work and gets wonky and off-topic from there.  So going forward:

Ty you all in advance, It's very difficult to switch to a new line, where previously here I was so easily frustrated with the very same questions that were posed on other boards.  I sincerely thank you in advance and let us NOT get into a dress code war!  We are traveling 5200 miles and need to pack smart. 

1. I have the free at-sea dining package for 2, one meal. We are 100 days from sailing on a nine-night on the sky we were able to book additional specialty restaurants for ala carte, but cannot book our comped dining.  This has to be done on arrival? We already have 3 booked, can we work this in somehow for a basic credit?  I do NOT wish to purchase the grouped dining as we looked at the menu and really prefer multiple apps and freedom to do such, ty in advance.

There are no special reservation for your free at sea dinners. You book all of your dining at the same time. How you pay is determined at time of dining (free at sea dinners, additional dining package dinners, latitude vouchers, other vouchers, cash/room charge). Reservations opened 120 days prior to departure and popular days and times will sell out. 

If you want to book the same restaurant more than once, you need to call NCL to make the second reservation. 

There is no group dining on NCL. You either go the the complimentary Main Dining Rooms (Crossing or Palace) and eat at a table for 2, eat at the complimentary The Local 24/7 bar and grill, buffet, or go to specialty dining. 

2. Bottled water is not included in the free at-sea basic drink package.  Do we just bring a tumbler?  Thoughts on this?

Bottled water is not included with the free at sea drinks package. You can purchase bottled water on the ship or in advance. Personally, I never carry around a water bottle... just clutter to me. If I want a glass of water, I walk up to any bar and get one. 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and the Crossing MDR where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). No need for a fancy collared shirt, a light weight polo shirt for those dining rooms is perfectly fine. No dress pants, just jeans or dockers or whatever you have in your bags. Ladies can wear just about anything. Sundress with sandals are fine (no heals). A top with capris is fine in all restaurants. Shorts and a t-shirt is fine everywhere (except French and Crossings - aft MDR). 

For Le Bistro and Crossings MDR, it is shoes. The tennis shoes you wore for your shore ex are fine. Boat shoes are fine. There is zero need for dress shoes or heals. Ladies sandals are fine. 

You will be offered a fill-a-bag offer once during your cruise. We sail about 6 times a year and use the ship's laundry on every cruise with no problems. 

4. I read through so many sources I can bring wine, but no bottled water.  Please confirm or deny this.  

Confirm.

If you have the beverage package, you can bring as much wine as you can hand-carry onboard without charge.

If you do not have a beverage package, you can bring as much wine as you can hand-carry onboard, but you will be charged a corkage fee on every bottle, regardless of where it is consumed. 

If you have a beverage package, there is zero need to bring your own wine onboard. Just drink the free wine that comes with the package. 

If you pack wine in your checked luggage, your bags will be confiscated and you'll spend part of your first night in a [long] line at security getting it out. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no special reservation for your free at sea dinners. You book all of your dining at the same time. How you pay is determined at time of dining (free at sea dinners, additional dining package dinners, latitude vouchers, other vouchers, cash/room charge). Reservations opened 120 days prior to departure and popular days and times will sell out. 

If you want to book the same restaurant more than once, you need to call NCL to make the second reservation. 

There is no group dining on NCL. You either go the the complimentary Main Dining Rooms (Crossing or Palace) and eat at a table for 2, eat at the complimentary The Local 24/7 bar and grill, buffet, or go to specialty dining. 

Bottled water is not included with the free at sea drinks package. You can purchase bottled water on the ship or in advance. Personally, I never carry around a water bottle... just clutter to me. If I want a glass of water, I walk up to any bar and get one. 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro and the Crossing MDR where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). No need for a fancy collared shirt, a light weight polo shirt for those dining rooms is perfectly fine. No dress pants, just jeans or dockers or whatever you have in your bags. Ladies can wear just about anything. Sundress with sandals are fine (no heals). A top with capris is fine in all restaurants. Shorts and a t-shirt is fine everywhere (except French and Crossings - aft MDR). 

For Le Bistro and Crossings MDR, it is shoes. The tennis shoes you wore for your shore ex are fine. Boat shoes are fine. There is zero need for dress shoes or heals. Ladies sandals are fine. 

You will be offered a fill-a-bag offer once during your cruise. We sail about 6 times a year and use the ship's laundry on every cruise with no problems. 

Confirm.

If you have the beverage package, you can bring as much wine as you can hand-carry onboard without charge.

If you do not have a beverage package, you can bring as much wine as you can hand-carry onboard, but you will be charged a corkage fee on every bottle, regardless of where it is consumed. 

If you have a beverage package, there is zero need to bring your own wine onboard. Just drink the free wine that comes with the package. 

If you pack wine in your checked luggage, your bags will be confiscated and you'll spend part of your first night in a [long] line at security getting it out. 

My family Carrie’s water bottles everywhere, I brought yeti’s on cruises, drink gallons a day. As for dine, I actually brought wind and paid corkage before the change, even with the UBP it was nice to have bottles in the cabin, and to bring to dinner (I’ve found NCL to do a very poor job with refills in the MDR’s). Dehydration and rehydration, easier to bring my own.

• Like 1