dining package

esimon

3 minutes ago, esimon said:

I'm new to NCL - how do the dining packages work?   I usually cruise on HAL - very different

Hi, do you mean the Specialty Dining packages? If so, they allow you to dine for free* at any of the specialty restaurants onboard.

*free but you do have to pay gratuities when you purchase your cabin as part of Free at Sea. Also, some items may have an upcharge, and the rules state you're entitled to one appetizer, 1 soup or salad, one entrée, and a dessert. (Passengers' onboard experience indicates you might be able to get more than one appetizer, but it's not guaranteed under the rules).

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hi, do you mean the Specialty Dining packages? If so, they allow you to dine for free* at any of the specialty restaurants onboard.

*free but you do have to pay gratuities when you purchase your cabin as part of Free at Sea. Also, some items may have an upcharge, and the rules state you're entitled to one appetizer, 1 soup or salad, one entrée, and a dessert. (Passengers' onboard experience indicates you might be able to get more than one appetizer, but it's not guaranteed under the rules).

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

so if I buy a specialty dining package for 3 dinners i can eat 3 times - even the al acarte specialties?    thanks everyone

53 minutes ago, esimon said:

I'm new to NCL - how do the dining packages work?   I usually cruise on HAL - very different

With the Free at Sea offer that comes with most cabin classes, you will get 1 or 2 dinners included with your cruise. You can buy additional dinners if you do not want to eat in the Main Dining Room. So if you get 2 dinners with your room and buy a 3-dinner package, you will have a total of 5 nights in specialty dining. 

NCL embraces Freestyle Cruising, so you eat at the Main Dining Rooms when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule, no set dining. Always a 2-top table (or the size of your party), never shared group dining. There is a 24/7 restaurant with seated dining. And the buffet. 

As stated above, at a la carte restaurants, you get 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entrée, 1 dessert. Some restaurants have side dishes, and you would get 2 of those also. An recent example of what our "free" dinner at Cagney's Steakhouse is shown below. 

Dinner reservations open for most cabin classes exactly 120 days prior to departure, 12 midnight eastern time. You should try and log on as close to that to get the best days and times for your dinners (some of your fellow passengers will be clicking the refresh button on their browser at midnight to get their first choices). If you decide to dine in a specialty restaurant more than once, you may have to call NCL to make the additional reservations (quirk of the reservation system). Always make reservations for Teppanyaki or Moderno first if you would like to dine there (quirk of the reservation system). Reservations open 130 days prior to departure for suites, 125 for club balconies and top tier Latitudes members.  A limited number of tables are held for onboard booking.

How you pay for each dinner is decided at the time of the dinner: Free at Sea dinners, purchased dining package dinners, vouchers (latitudes or other sources), cash/onboard charge. 

image.png.dbaec250f72daec95c2af1bf94667211.png

Edited by BirdTravels

12 minutes ago, esimon said:

thanks for the info -- We do not have free at sea but I'm looking into dining etc.  

Are you in a Sailaway rate or just declined the FAS?  If you declined, you should call and ask to add the FAS for dining back in.  

3 hours ago, esimon said:

don't know the answer to that question-  I didn't decline anything but this was booked through a TA and is a group

It's worth calling in and seeing if you can get the free at sea packages.  It's not available on some group bookings, although I'm not sure what these group codes are that are excluded:

image.png.8ba4ddb16f9fdb5fc8361257ba46a9af.png

Edited by dbrown84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, esimon said:

don't know the answer to that question-  I didn't decline anything but this was booked through a TA and is a group

Check with the TA to see exactly what you purchased. FAS offers $50 discounts on shore excursions, a limited amount of onboard wi-fi, the speciality dining plan Bird Travels described above and an alcohol drink package. It is automatically added to your fare unless you select a reduced “sail away” cabin rate or affirmatively decline individual portions of the FAS package. (Perhaps your group declined them all to receive a lower fare). 

The FAS dining and drinks require you to pay a 20% gratuity on the cost of the package. For dining it’s around $18 per person (assuming you receive 2 speciality meals). For the drink package it’s about $22 per day. 

The general rule on the drink package is you are saving money at 2 or more alcohol drinks per day - only you know if that’s worth it.  The dining package is a great value for the nominal gratuity. 

Declining the FAS dining and drinks at booking saves you the gratuity charge thus lowering the cruise fare. The shore excursion and wi-fi have no additional charge so declining them does not lower your cruise fare. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

4 hours ago, MCMC100 said:

The general rule on the drink package is you are saving money at 2 or more alcohol drinks per day - only you know if that’s worth it. 

A clarification on this good advice: Because both adults in the cabin need to purchase the drink package, the math is more accurately described as saving money at 4 or more alcoholic drinks between the 2 adult passengers in the stateroom.  In other words, if only 1 of you drinks, then the other must drink 4/day to have the package be cost-effective.

• Like 2