Tender process on Oceania

Vineyard View

25 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Not what we experienced on our cruise in May and the two tender ports. They used the port authority to transfer. Never used the lifeboats on the ship at all.  It was actually a pretty smooth operation and in both instances the tender boats were fine. Crowded yes but you had rows of benches. 

Where were you? For the most part I've found the port authority or local port handling the tendering to be the exception. For most of my cruises we been on the ship's lifeboats for tendering. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Where were you? For the most part I've found the port authority or local port handling the tendering to be the exception. For most of my cruises we been on the ship's lifeboats for tendering. 

Santorini and Mykonos. 

1 hour ago, zteamtwo said:

Just to be clear--for new people on Oceania--when you hear the term "tender"--do not think about some luxury boat that takes you to the port dock--IT'S THE LIFEBOATS!  Very cramped--knee to knee with the person across from you.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

The O class tenders  you are side to side  do not recall knee to knee

R ship tenders are more single row seating  as I recall

Some port local boats  are used

Belize City, Santorini  come to mind

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

The O class tenders  you are side to side  do not recall knee to knee

R ship tenders are more single row seating  as I recall

Some port local boats  are used

Belize City, Santorini  come to mind

The Vista tenders are short rows of benches back-to-back, resulting in tight knee-to-knee positions…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tigerfan75 said:

The Vista tenders are short rows of benches back-to-back, resulting in tight knee-to-knee positions…

Ok  I think the R ship tender may be similar   now I think of it

I am claiming old age memory 😄

4 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Do you receive color coded arm bands based on cabin category for sequence in boarding them after the excursions?  I did read that this occurs. 

Never seen this. Was this Oceania that you read about?

10 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Do you receive color coded arm bands based on cabin category for sequence in boarding them after the excursions?  I did read that this occurs. 

never seen that before

32 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

41 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

The only time we received color coded arm bands was on our Seabourn Antarctica expedition cruise and it was not based upon cabin category but your expedition group....since the number of people allowed ashore is tightly regulated, each group had an assigned time.  Never seen that on any Ocean cruise we have sailed on .....

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Really good to know. So it is first come, first serve after excursions? We only have a couple tender ports, and whatever the protocol is, well, it is. It just helps to know ahead so I appreciate all your input 

You will hear  the announcement  that the tenders are now open to all no need to get  a tender ticket  at that point

If in a top suite (OS OC VS) as posted above  just go to the tender area  when you are ready & show your  suite card

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Really good to know. So it is first come, first serve after excursions? 

Not necessarily.

On occasions, independents are able to board tenders before the majority of tours are assembled and ready to be called.

If you wish to try for that, just be early for a tender ticket.

Being aware of when tenders are likely to start in relation to the early tour timings does help in that regard.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Really good to know. So it is first come, first serve after excursions? We only have a couple tender ports, and whatever the protocol is, well, it is. It just helps to know ahead so I appreciate all your input 

See Post 3 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Not necessarily.

On occasions, independents are able to board tenders before the majority of tours are assembled and ready to be called.

If you wish to try for that, just be early for a tender ticket.

Being aware of when tenders are likely to start in relation to the early tour timings does help in that regard.

Awesome. Thanks. We want to disembark in Sorrento early and catch a ferry independently. Appreciate this added advice. 

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Awesome. Thanks. We want to disembark in Sorrento early and catch a ferry independently. Appreciate this added advice. 

Last year (August 2022) we took a ferry on our own from Sorrento to Capri and back. Checking in for our return, our ferry was cancelled! Instead they directed us to a different company's slower ferry. If we hadn't been early checking in we would have been on a later ferry and missed all aboard time! 

Definitely enjoyed our day - just advise building a little extra 'what if' time into planning when using ferries independently from Sorrento⛴️ 

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If in a top suite (OS OC VS) as posted above  just go to the tender area  when you are ready & show your  suite card

That was also our experience pre-covid.  Was your experience recent?  There are mixed messages in this thread about how this is handled for suites.  For example @Fam_Cruisesaid that was not the way it worked on Riviera in 2022.  There are 5 tender ports for our cruise in January so this is really important info for us.

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

That was also our experience pre-covid.  Was your experience recent?  There are mixed messages in this thread about how this is handled for suites.  For example @Fam_Cruisesaid that was not the way it worked on Riviera in 2022.  There are 5 tender ports for our cruise in January so this is really important info for us.

I would  ask DS or  your Butler for the  current  rules

I have never booked  a top suite   so just going  by what is posted

Good luck

8 hours ago, babysteps said:

Last year (August 2022) we took a ferry on our own from Sorrento to Capri and back. Checking in for our return, our ferry was cancelled! Instead they directed us to a different company's slower ferry. If we hadn't been early checking in we would have been on a later ferry and missed all aboard time! 

Definitely enjoyed our day - just advise building a little extra 'what if' time into planning when using ferries independently from Sorrento⛴️ 

Thank you for this great advice. We have used public ferries on a couple port stops, and several times on a land trip. We love Capri - well, the entire area. This time we are thinking Positano and can grab a sofa bus of all else fails. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful area again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torquer said:

Was thinking this is as well. It sounds as if the top suites can board tenders whenever they want, but not necessarily others until after excursions. Others have not experienced this, so maybe it’s random, and what I did read can occur. Idk 

Just now, Vineyard View said:

Was thinking this is as well. It sounds as if the top suites can board tenders whenever they want, but not necessarily others until after excursions. Others have not experienced this, so maybe it’s random, and what I did read can occur. Idk 

How do I find out which ports utilize tenders?