Which Beach on Roatan?

The Boss 1138

Beaches on the West end toward Tabayana are much better, coral, critters and sand.  On the cruise terminal side or windward side, much rockier and water much more turbulent, we have done both, only went to Maya Key once way back in 2008, the other 10 times we always went over to the west end.  We will again in September.  Bananarama is nice too just up from Tabayana, no frills just beach bar and food but nice beach.  Cheap too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Boss 1138 said:

Which beach is better for a beach day on Roatan? Maya Key Private Island retreat or Sol Y Mar beach club?

The port area and island in general is a sh#ithole.  Nice beaches etc once you're at them.  Pretty much sums up Roatan.

Hi, we're going to Maya Key in December with MSC.

I've booked it already but we have to find our own way to the ferry dock.

Does anyone know where this might be located? We're docking in Coxen Hole according to the cruise ship docking schedule for Roatan.

Thanks

1 hour ago, juraspark said:

Hi, we're going to Maya Key in December with MSC.

I've booked it already but we have to find our own way to the ferry dock.

Does anyone know where this might be located? We're docking in Coxen Hole according to the cruise ship docking schedule for Roatan.

Thanks

Assuming it is through the cruiseline the dock should be right at the port. It is very straightforward. Do your instructions suggest otherwise?

Maya key belongs  to Anthony key and if you book direct you have to get to their dock which is several miles down the road. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Assuming it is through the cruiseline the dock should be right at the port. It is very straightforward. Do your instructions suggest otherwise?

Maya key belongs  to Anthony key and if you book direct you have to get to their dock which is several miles down the road. 

Thank you. MSC doesn't offer Maya Key so we booked directly.

I did find walking directions to Maya Key Parking, 20 minutes, but wasn't sure if this is where we need to be. Don't wish to walk all the way there and find out we should be back at the start! LOL 

Our instructions just state that we need to find our own transportation to the Maya Key dock, but doesn't say where it is located. So I'm trying to figure this out. As to taxi's, all I've been able to find is a chart that list how much for 1 or 2 people from port to different zones, but no map of where a zone is.

3 minutes ago, juraspark said:

Thank you. MSC doesn't offer Maya Key so we booked directly.

I did find walking directions to Maya Key Parking, 20 minutes, but wasn't sure if this is where we need to be. Don't wish to walk all the way there and find out we should be back at the start! LOL 

Our instructions just state that we need to find our own transportation to the Maya Key dock, but doesn't say where it is located. So I'm trying to figure this out. As to taxi's, all I've been able to find is a chart that list how much for 1 or 2 people from port to different zones, but no map of where a zone is.

I only know because a family member, who had been before through the ship, booked that way because the cruise line had sold out before they realized it didn’t leave from the port as normal.

I am not sure exactly where the dock is or what parking lot you are talking about. From what i recall it was going to require a taxi to and from  the dock -  (Anthony key itself is on the other side of the island and their dock is basically for resort and land visitors). Getting a taxi back is not something I would want to rely on and randomly walking 20 minutes around Coxen Hole would be a hassle i could do without on vacation.

We have enjoyed Maya Key several times but one if its biggest attractions is ease of transport  especially with young kids. I wouldn’t go out of my way to find alternative transport I would save it for another day and do something else. YMMV.

My family member cancelled the direct booking once they realized and went with the sloth and tiki boat/snorkeling in West Bay instead.

• Thanks 1

Wait, if you book directly with Anthony's Key you have to go to Anthony's Key to get a ride to Maya Key?   That is just silly.  One can see Maya Key from the ship, Anthony's Key is a good 20min ride the direction. 

I wonder if contacting Anthony's Key directly to confirm would be of help is making a choice. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

Wait, if you book directly with Anthony's Key you have to go to Anthony's Key to get a ride to Maya Key?   That is just silly.  One can see Maya Key from the ship, Anthony's Key is a good 20min ride the direction. 

I wonder if contacting Anthony's Key directly to confirm would be of help is making a choice. 

That isn’t the arrangement according to the instructions we received.

Before Maya key belonged to Anthony’s Key (Fins n Flippers) the dock was a 5 minute walk just outside the port gates at Coxen Hole which wasn’t bad but that didn’t seem to be the case now. I wasnt involved in the booking so I don’t have the actual instructions but presumably @juraspark does. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

I contacted Anthony's Key Resort and they sent a new confirmation with a get directions link and it is: Maya Key Parking and Ferry, 8F79+M2J, Main St, Coxen Hole, Honduras

The link directions are what I came across in a search that just said parking.

It will be a 20 minute walk from Coxen Hole or definite taxi if the ship docks at Mahogany Bay.

I don't mind paying $40 for a taxi if needed, but think it's excessive for something I can walk to in 20 minutes.

Found some offering the excursion with transport, but they want more than double what we paid and the $40 taxi ride would still be less expensive.

Your right though to taxi to Anthony's Key would make no sense

33 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That isn’t the arrangement according to the instructions we received.

They must be getting more booking from ships that don't offer the excursion perhaps and put in another dock.

A family member who sails RCL suggested Maya Key, but they booked through the ship.

28 minutes ago, juraspark said:

I contacted Anthony's Key Resort and they sent a new confirmation with a get directions link and it is: Maya Key Parking and Ferry, 8F79+M2J, Main St, Coxen Hole, Honduras

The link directions are what I came across in a search that just said parking.

It will be a 20 minute walk from Coxen Hole or definite taxi if the ship docks at Mahogany Bay.

I don't mind paying $40 for a taxi if needed, but think it's excessive for something I can walk to in 20 minutes.

Found some offering the excursion with transport, but they want more than double what we paid and the $40 taxi ride would still be less expensive.

Your right though to taxi to Anthony's Key would make no sense

Whew! I am glad to hear I misunderstood. 

Have a grand time!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, juraspark said:

They must be getting more booking from ships that don't offer the excursion perhaps and put in another dock.

A family member who sails RCL suggested Maya Key, but they booked through the ship.

We also sail with Royal and it is so simple. 

It would be so annoying if there was a Royal or NCL ship in port and the ferry was running and you had to add on all that extra time and money just to get there.  

Have you confirmed what time the ferry runs to and from that dock? As i said i believe it is primarily for their own resort guests and land visitors. I wonder if they have their own shuttle that services their resort and could perhaps drop you off at the port? Usually there are a 2-3 options of time to return to the port of Roatan or Mahogany Bay. I have never noticed an option to the other pier. I actually thought they used Maya Key for resort guests on a day when there were no ships.

Have you confirmed about getting a taxi back in time - that would be my biggest concern and so annoying if the ferry is running directly to the pier. Let us know how it works out if you decide to go so others will know.

I am interested to know what the main attraction is for you to go to Maya Key? 

29 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We also sail with Royal and it is so simple. 

It would be so annoying if there was a Royal or NCL ship in port and the ferry was running and you had to add on all that extra time and money just to get there.  

Have you confirmed what time the ferry runs to and from that dock? As i said i believe it is primarily for their own resort guests and land visitors. I wonder if they have their own shuttle that services their resort and could perhaps drop you off at the port? Usually there are a 2-3 options of time to return to the port of Roatan or Mahogany Bay. I have never noticed an option to the other pier. I actually thought they used Maya Key for resort guests on a day when there were no ships.

Have you confirmed about getting a taxi back in time - that would be my biggest concern and so annoying if the ferry is running directly to the pier. Let us know how it works out if you decide to go so others will know.

I am interested to know what the main attraction is for you to go to Maya Key? 

We were given a ferry pick up time of 9am.  Our ship is docking about 7am so plenty of time to get to the ferry dock. I did not think about the return times to the ferry dock as the reviews I've read said every 1/2 hour. But that is most likely for cruise ships. I will contact them again for clarification. Thanks, for pointing that out to me.

The only other ship in port will be NCL arriving about 10am. So shouldn't be too busy.

Haven't booked a taxi as I haven't figured out which zones are what and the couple I've found want you to book port to zone A,B, C etc. There is a taxi service listed near the ferry dock, that I've messaged to see if they are available for walk up service, as we may end up at Mahogany Bay dock.

With it being only a 20 minute walk from the cruise dock, we will probably walk to the ferry pick up but most likely taxi back to the ship. If NCL is running a ferry to Maya Key, we'll see if we can bribe our way on one back to port!

This is our first Xmas away. I've always wanted to spend Xmas on a beach with the ocean. Also, the animal rescue is a big draw as I think it will be very interesting. West bay sounds nice but very touristy and most likely will be like a thousand other beaches. Maya Key seemed to offer something a little different and our next port will be Ocean Cay and for beach lounging, it's very high up there.

Thank you for your help and I'll post back after either I cancel the trip or we return from our cruise.

7 minutes ago, juraspark said:

We were given a ferry pick up time of 9am.  Our ship is docking about 7am so plenty of time to get to the ferry dock. I did not think about the return times to the ferry dock as the reviews I've read said every 1/2 hour. But that is most likely for cruise ships. I will contact them again for clarification. Thanks, for pointing that out to me.

The only other ship in port will be NCL arriving about 10am. So shouldn't be too busy.

Haven't booked a taxi as I haven't figured out which zones are what and the couple I've found want you to book port to zone A,B, C etc. There is a taxi service listed near the ferry dock, that I've messaged to see if they are available for walk up service, as we may end up at Mahogany Bay dock.

With it being only a 20 minute walk from the cruise dock, we will probably walk to the ferry pick up but most likely taxi back to the ship. If NCL is running a ferry to Maya Key, we'll see if we can bribe our way on one back to port!

This is our first Xmas away. I've always wanted to spend Xmas on a beach with the ocean. Also, the animal rescue is a big draw as I think it will be very interesting. West bay sounds nice but very touristy and most likely will be like a thousand other beaches. Maya Key seemed to offer something a little different and our next port will be Ocean Cay and for beach lounging, it's very high up there.

Thank you for your help and I'll post back after either I cancel the trip or we return from our cruise.

You are welcome and I wish you luck!

we have enjoyed Maya Key several times. I would certainly try and  bribe my way on the ferry back to port. I would be much more worried about the ride back and getting back to the cruise ship on time, than getting there. Are you on the 11-day sailing? Looks an interesting itinerary, enjoy!

You sound much younger than me but keep in mind Coxen Hole is not the best of places - lots of vendors, begging, poverty, people offering to take you somewhere (for a fee whether you want them to or not) - plan your route carefully and know where you are going. 

Look forward to your update.

8 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

You are welcome and I wish you luck!

we have enjoyed Maya Key several times. I would certainly try and  bribe my way on the ferry back to port. I would be much more worried about the ride back and getting back to the cruise ship on time, than getting there. Are you on the 11-day sailing? Looks an interesting itinerary, enjoy!

You sound much younger than me but keep in mind Coxen Hole is not the best of places - lots of vendors, begging, poverty, people offering to take you somewhere (for a fee whether you want them to or not) - plan your route carefully and know where you are going. 

Look forward to your update.

Until you mentioned the ferry schedule, I hadn't realized that I hadn't taken into consideration they were cruise line tour shuttles back to the port. I have messaged Maya Key again to verify the return time as the confirmation only shows a departure time. I did tell them we need to be back on board the ship by 2pm. So hopefully, she responds as quickly tomorrow as she did today.

We are doing the 3+11 sailing as we decided to add the extra 3 nights after booking the 11 nights. I agree the itinerary looked interesting to us. I visited Cartagena when I was in high school and always wanted to go back and see if the walled city still held the magic it had back then. We've never been to Panama, Costa Rica or Honduras, so are looking forward to them. Ocean Cay is a beautiful, not much for young kids to do, but perfect for us, plenty of beautiful beach and crystal water.

We have family sailing Royal over Xmas, which is how we ended up booking a cruise for Xmas. We looked at their itinerary and ended up booking the 11 day with MSC. My BIL will only sail Royal as he likes it and isn't interested in trying another, which is fine, but we really like MSC. We're still fairly new to cruising but are learning fast!

We are retired so not that young! I like to research and figure out what we are doing well in advance as to avoid making a big mistake. Which without your advice I almost missed. My brain isn't firing on all cylinders these days. LOL If the ferry back to the dock doesn't work with the All Aboard that would be a disaster to figure out on the island. Hopefully they have a return that will work as I'm looking forward to Maya Key.

• Like 1

@c-leg5

Hi, Hollie from Maya Key got back to me today and assured me the ferry shuttle will run every 30 minutes back to the docks and gave me the name and location of a taxi driver in Port that they use.

Thank you for pointing out the potential pitfalls that I'd overlooked.

• Like 1