Questions about Onda

alwalaska

Hi!  I know that people are frequently given everything they ask for and are not charged extra, but I would like to know what the rules are for Onda. I'm not worried about not having enough to eat, but it is nice to know ahead of time when I'm looking through the menus for things I'd like to try. 

1. What sections can you pick from with the Dining Package?
  2. What sections can you pick from with the Latitudes Coupon?

We learned last cruise (different ship) that in Cagney's with the Latitude coupon, you get 1 appetizer, salad, or soup, 1 main course, and 1 side. With the dining package, you get an appetizer and either a salad or soup, and 2 sides, along with the main course.  Onda seems to have 5 categories.  I'm particularly interested in the pizza and pasta options and whether they can be in addition to a secondi or if they are instead of.  

Thanks.

Can't answer the question on Onda. We always order two antipasti. Never occurred to us to order what is essentially 3 entrees (we can barely eat one). 

wrt the Latitudes voucher, it is totally dependent upon the restaurant. We have always ordered an 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entrée, 2 sides (where applicable) and dessert and have never been charged since the change. 

In the example below from Cagney's and Le Bistro in May 2023, our Platinum Voucher covered an app+soup for guest 1 and app+app for guest 2.

image.png.570d0e9f45b300a2424781083bea2ad4.png

image.png.6c1830ae34344b0f4180ce8be5b16dce.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Onda with the dining coupon they do restrict you to one appetizer/pizza/salad, one entree and one dessert. If using your dining package, the staff is more flexible: tell your server you'd like to try X appetizer, X pizza, X salad, etc and they will usually accommodate you (at least in my my experience). Do not miss the Butterscotch Budino for dessert -- it's amazing.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ngrund said:

one tip-the veal is excellent but huge!

If we knew that before hand we would have just ordered one and split it. I hate wasting food and none of us could finish ours.

DH ordered the Veal and OMG it is huge.  It caught us by surprise and we couldn’t stop laughing how it was as big as the United States🤣

D238D34E-DB34-4C8D-A60E-1E85F4AE5A0E.jpeg

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

DH ordered the Veal and OMG it is huge.  It caught us by surprise and we couldn’t stop laughing how it was as big as the United States🤣

We're considering trying Onda. Honestly the menu isn't too appealing to us. We prefer La Cucina's menu (except the lasagna:)). This veal looks great! Perhaps that's what I'll order if we do wind up going there. Wonder if I'll get a USA-sized portion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We're considering trying Onda. Honestly the menu isn't too appealing to us. We prefer La Cucina's menu (except the lasagna:)). This veal looks great! Perhaps that's what I'll order if we do wind up going there. Wonder if I'll get a USA-sized portion. 

We also prefer La Cucina

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Remember the Burrata in Onda.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Remember the Burrata in Onda.  

Yessssss!! I wonder if they'd just serve me an entree-sized portion of the Burrata and arugula. Knowing I'll be having rich, meat-based meals for 11 days means that I could totally go for that! I know, I doubt it. At least I'll get that salad. And probably some veal with more arugula. 🙂

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You probably will-when our waiter came to clear the plates, we joked that he should have warned us about the size, he laughed and said yep he has never seen anybody finish it without sharing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yessssss!! I wonder if they'd just serve me an entree-sized portion of the Burrata and arugula. Knowing I'll be having rich, meat-based meals for 11 days means that I could totally go for that! I know, I doubt it. At least I'll get that salad. And probably some veal with more arugula. 🙂

Feast your eyes.

DB9E5D9E-BAF2-406D-A22F-08459EAAC7E2.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Looks like California had an earthquake...and Florida blew away in a hurricane.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I ordered the same thing on our last cruise...definitely to big and mine was very dry. I thought it came with something other than salad but no...I should have ordered sides as well (not that I could have eaten it all)..but some sauce would have been nice.Unfortunately it was the worst meal of the cruise (for me) DW's was great.

5 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

I ordered the same thing on our last cruise...definitely to big and mine was very dry. I thought it came with something other than salad but no...I should have ordered sides as well (not that I could have eaten it all)..but some sauce would have been nice.Unfortunately it was the worst meal of the cruise (for me) DW's was great.

Actually I don’t think Dh was impressed either.  I think they pounded it too much, thus the size. And I think the salad was supposed to be dressed on top

Thanks all for all of the responses.  It is good to know that we should plan on sharing items like the veal.  Pictures are very helpful.  I'm allergic to citrus and I never would have thought to remind them about it when ordering a veal cutlet. 

Our last recent cruise was on the Dawn in June and we were very surprised to find both Cagney's and LeBistro very inflexible.  I wanted to order an appetizer, salad and entree but no dessert.  Never been a problem on any other ship before but neither restaurant would let me substitute a soup or salad for the dessert.  Seemed a bit pig-headed to me.  I'm guessing that "policy" is dictated by whoever is in charge on each ship.

7 hours ago, laudergayle said:

We have ordered it and were unhappy. While big, it is all breading with little veal flavor. It would be better if they treated it like a chicken fried steak and left some beef on the beef. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Our last recent cruise was on the Dawn in June and we were very surprised to find both Cagney's and LeBistro very inflexible.  I wanted to order an appetizer, salad and entree but no dessert.  Never been a problem on any other ship before but neither restaurant would let me substitute a soup or salad for the dessert.  Seemed a bit pig-headed to me.  I'm guessing that "policy" is dictated by whoever is in charge on each ship.

It was the Dawn that we were on in Feb as well. I'm hoping the Spirit will be more flexible.  I'm thinking I would like to try for my husband and me to share an antipasti, a pizza, and a pasta, skipping the Secondi and maybe on side.  That still seems like a lot of food to eat, but it is only 5 items total between the 2 of us.  I guess I'll find out in Feb.

2 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

My initial (emotional) response is fine! I'll order all the food they let me. Then, I'll just let it sit there on the table. Once dessert is served, I'll pick up my bone headed self and wander to the Haven to order the meal I'll eat forcing NCL to lose money for being pigheaded. Probably not a winning strategy, but it's my I'm riled up and ready to do something strategy!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

My initial (emotional) response is fine! I'll order all the food they let me. Then, I'll just let it sit there on the table. Once dessert is served, I'll pick up my bone headed self and wander to the Haven to order the meal I'll eat forcing NCL to lose money for being pigheaded. Probably not a winning strategy, but it's my I'm riled up and ready to do something strategy!

I usually talk a good game when I'm riled up, but I rarely go through with it.  Part of the reason I ask these questions ahead of time is so that I am prepared and won't get riled up.  I am a rule follower at heart, so if when I sit down they tell me I can only order a,b,c; I'm not going to try and order more and hope that they don't charge me for it.  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

I usually talk a good game when I'm riled up, but I rarely go through with it.  Part of the reason I ask these questions ahead of time is so that I am prepared and won't get riled up.  I am a rule follower at heart, so if when I sit down they tell me I can only order a,b,c; I'm not going to try and order more and hope that they don't charge me for it.  

Yea....I'm pretty sure I'd do exactly as you. Actually, I know I'd do as you write. Thankfully, my Karen is an inner Karen, not an outer Karen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, alwalaska said:

So - what are these items pictured?

In the foreground is the lovely (and yummy) Burrata appetizer with prosciutto, arugula, tomato, and balsamic. In the background is Fritto Misto appetizer, with calamari, shrimp, crab cake, zucchini, potato. Mmmm, they both sound great! See, here's a place I could see myself ordering two appetizers and no dessert.

Also, @laudergayle, thanks for the feast of the eyes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

In the foreground is the lovely (and yummy) Burrata appetizer with prosciutto, arugula, tomato, and balsamic. In the background is Fritto Misto appetizer, with calamari, shrimp, crab cake, zucchini, potato. Mmmm, they both sound great! See, here's a place I could see myself ordering two appetizers and no dessert.

Also, @laudergayle, thanks for the feast of the eyes!

Thank you.  That Fritto Misto looks amazing.  I feel my arteries hardening while I think about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alwalaska said:

It was the Dawn that we were on in Feb as well. I'm hoping the Spirit will be more flexible.  I'm thinking I would like to try for my husband and me to share an antipasti, a pizza, and a pasta, skipping the Secondi and maybe on side.  That still seems like a lot of food to eat, but it is only 5 items total between the 2 of us.  I guess I'll find out in Feb.

You should be fine doing this. We have ordered apps for both, a pizza to share, a pasta each and dessert. Oh and the bread is to die for! Never left there hungry. 

• Like 1