To anyone on board now in a single cabin- How Are The Solo Cabins??

MsCrystalina

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Reminds me of how American Airlines did a cabin redesign recently, with new seating, galleys and lavs.  Only after they planes started in service did they notice HUGE flaws in the new arrangement, both for crew and passengers.

Seems that they were so sure of their blueprint models that they never bothered to actually build a mockup to see how it worked in 3D.

AA then embarked on a plan to retrofit a newer design into the planes that just had a redo.

Duh.

It's also analogous to when the removed the couches from the rooms with the idea that they would create extra space only to realize that people really wanted a couch which they corrected.

I remember in our last home when we worked with the architect and had someone help us that we made mistakes some of which we realized as the home was being constructed and paid more to make changes and a coupe of items that we couldn't correct.

Keith

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I am the one who mentioned the roller to hang items and that is mainly for people who are on the World Cruise to consider.

Who wants to crowd an already small room with a rolling hang thing to trip over or block the view?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Reminds me of how American Airlines did a cabin redesign recently, with new seating, galleys and lavs.  Only after they planes started in service did they notice HUGE flaws in the new arrangement, both for crew and passengers.

Seems that they were so sure of their blueprint models that they never bothered to actually build a mockup to see how it worked in 3D.

AA then embarked on a plan to retrofit a newer design into the planes that just had a redo.

Duh.

This reminds me of the garage at the medical clinic on Lowry AFB in 1973. The ambulance was an Olds 98, and the garage door (NO DOOR, JUST AN OPENING, LIKE A CARPORT!) faced north. In cold weather, the ambulance didn’t start. Why doesn’t the garage have a door, asks my husband. Well, below a certain latitude, garages didn’t get doors.

So, says Mr B, now that (at a mile high) we know we need a garage door, b/c it’s colder here than across the country at this latitude, why don’t we fix that and add a garage door?

Oh, that’s easy, they say. Within the first three years after a new bldg. is constructed, we can’t make structural improvements.

So perhaps he told them to put a lightbulb under the hood at night, as my parents did in Albany, NY.

PS: the facing north made it worse after the sun was up. If it faced south, sun would’ve warmed it beautifully. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Sorry but Crystal is not discriminating at all.

All of the double and solo room are brand spanking new.  

Not sure how that was discrimination.

All the classic suites have had minimal work done to update them.  

I am the one who mentioned the roller to hang items and that is mainly for people who are on the World Cruise to consider.

The new safes are the same as the old safes so yes they fit an iPad.

By adding a desk where they did which was all good intentioned it made the closet smaller. I don't think they released that would happen.  

The new rooms are beautiful including the bathroom and overall it is a big upgrade to the previous rooms.

Keith

The new rooms maybe beautiful but the storage space has been considerably reduced which is the point of my post. Previously, the combination desk, bar and drawers added more space to the storage area as well as the larger wardrobe. Even if you do a few segments with two people sharing a double verandah stateroom, there is no room to hang clothes and people will be living out of their suitcases, let alone on a world cruise, where different seasons need to be taken into account. Why should people have to reduce space in their room and have clothes hanging for all to see because the wardrobe space and drawer space has been considerably reduced. When the room is cleaned and vacuumed your room stewardess would need to negotiate the clothes rack, which could put that crew member at risk of an injury. All to relocate a fridge and bar set up. 

Crystal is discriminating. A solo traveller stay in a room without a single supplement but this room is forward, which is not the best room position in a ship. The noise from the waves while at sea doesn’t bode well for a good nights sleep.in these rooms.  More movement as well. If two people travel together and want to stay in a double verandah room, as they are advertised for two, there is only enough storage space for one. I like dressing up for formal nights and generally like looking nice for a cruise and with two people in a room, clothing will be stored in the suitcase under the bed as storage space has been reduced. I’m happy the rooms look nice, but it doesn’t seem like much thought has gone into the storage space.
With due respect Keith, I really don’t think you should be giving your opinion on these rooms as you don’t travel in them. I’m not flying half way around the world with a clothes rack, so I can have extra hanging space in my room that is advertised for two! The wardrobe space looks more like a broom cupboard. Would you fit all your clothes that you take on a cruise as a couple into this wardrobe and the drawer space? 

• Like 1

I am reminded of my colleague who told our Prime Minister, who was dangling on the end of a rope below a helicopter, that he had the most confidence in the rope, as it was supplied by the lowest bidder.  I am happy to repeat that thought whenever I enter an elevator in a government building.

A&K was happy to spend millions to refurbish Serenity, and allocate dollars as the marine space designer recommended.  This is why the designers demand the dollars they do for their services.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thebenz said:

The new rooms maybe beautiful but the storage space has been considerably reduced which is the point of my post. Previously, the combination desk, bar and drawers added more space to the storage area as well as the larger wardrobe. Even if you do a few segments with two people sharing a double verandah stateroom, there is no room to hang clothes and people will be living out of their suitcases, let alone on a world cruise, where different seasons need to be taken into account. Why should people have to reduce space in their room and have clothes hanging for all to see because the wardrobe space and drawer space has been considerably reduced. When the room is cleaned and vacuumed your room stewardess would need to negotiate the clothes rack, which could put that crew member at risk of an injury. All to relocate a fridge and bar set up. 

Crystal is discriminating. A solo traveller stay in a room without a single supplement but this room is forward, which is not the best room position in a ship. The noise from the waves while at sea doesn’t bode well for a good nights sleep.in these rooms.  More movement as well. If two people travel together and want to stay in a double verandah room, as they are advertised for two, there is only enough storage space for one. I like dressing up for formal nights and generally like looking nice for a cruise and with two people in a room, clothing will be stored in the suitcase under the bed as storage space has been reduced. I’m happy the rooms look nice, but it doesn’t seem like much thought has gone into the storage space.
With due respect Keith, I really don’t think you should be giving your opinion on these rooms as you don’t travel in them. I’m not flying half way around the world with a clothes rack, so I can have extra hanging space in my room that is advertised for two! The wardrobe space looks more like a broom cupboard. Would you fit all your clothes that you take on a cruise as a couple into this wardrobe and the drawer space? 

The purpose of my post is to say I don't see it as discrimination of a solo guest as the staterooms for solos and double occupancy guests are the same.  Only difference is location. In fact, one could say it is those sailing as two people would find it more challenging as collectively they have more items for the closet.

This was a design flaw. It was not something that someone sat down with the designers to say how can I make this as hard for the guests as possible.

As to my opinion.  I have traveled in the former double occupancy rooms on both ships. Symphony without a verandah and Serenity on the full 2007 World Cruise with 4 times the amount of clothing one would bring for a single cruise and also on two other cruises so I am very familiar with space relative to luggage.

And I have seen the new double room with my own eyes.

Yes it will be a challenge. Yes they will have to see if they can address this.

But no, I don't call it discrimination. 

Keith

Many people complained about the closets in these rooms, about the bypass doors etc. At least with the bypass doors, one could get to the clothes at both ends, plus there were shelves in addition to the drawers. The new double door that only opens partway doesn't allow easy access to either end. Why did they do that? It looks sleeker but not at all practical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until we hear from two people staying in one of those staterooms, could we please keep the whining to a minimum?

If nobody posts before Nov. 2nd, I’ll post, after we unpack. Friends are traveling with us, so I’ll include their reaction as well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NWX said:

I don't think people's observations/reservations on storage is whining, just commenting. Isn't that what this board is about?

Complaining is fine, warning others to be prepared is fine; calling it discrimination is something else.

Roy

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NWX said:

Many people complained about the closets in these rooms, about the bypass doors etc. At least with the bypass doors, one could get to the clothes at both ends, plus there were shelves in addition to the drawers. The new double door that only opens partway doesn't allow easy access to either end. Why did they do that? It looks sleeker but not at all practical.

Thanks for pointing out about the closet doors.  I was so amazed by the lack of space in the closet (and the room in general) that it was only a couple of days ago that I realized they changed the doors.  However, I didn't realize the implications of what the new design might mean in terms of limiting access to the closet.  

So many of the changes (e.g. design of the closet doors, removing storage space from the desk area, taking closet space for the bar area) seem to me to be making the room to look slightly sleeker at the expense of making the room much less practical.

• Like 5

As in every business, the people who actually use the computer systems, offices, waiting rooms  tools, etc. are seldom  brought into the planning and design process.     As to the extinction of usable needed space in those cabins- (which I have stayed in many many times as a solo and will in the future depending in the itinerary) that is beyond reason!.  It looks like the new head honcho forgot everything about his former line!   I don't wear the same clothes multiple times on cruises and the old cabins were always just right for little me except for always being hot and bad smelling. It will be a challenge and I cannot imagine two people in the new design.    Is the carpet new? I read that the carpet was not new in some of the suites??

Why won't someone in one give us their input ?  Heresay and ancient  history including mine means nothing now!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

and many more higher end land based performers and a much more extensive entertainment program ….. and I can go on and on.

Actually you may be surprised to learn that many of the speakers and entertainers spend time on other lines (some of those being non luxury lines actually) - some may be exclusive to Crystal but I suspect that’s the minority. I’ve seen speakers appearing on other lines before they turned up on Crystal for example 

I’m certainly not here to say one line is better than the other as that’s a ridiculous claim to make, sure the last couple of years have shown me that many lines have positives and negatives over Crystal - ultimately it comes down to the overall package and what’s important to us - things like Computer Classes, several other aspects of enrichment programmes, Clergy onboard and Fitness Centres don’t make a difference to me but Food, Entertainment and most of all Service are what matter to me - but that’s just me 

We know people won’t agree with each other but as long as they stay within CC rules then that’s all that matters - my suggestion is to let the debate run and let the CC Hosts do their thing rather than trying to cut people off 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Actually you may be surprised to learn that many of the speakers and entertainers spend time on other lines (some of those being non luxury lines actually) - some may be exclusive to Crystal but I suspect that’s the minority. I’ve seen speakers appearing on other lines before they turned up on Crystal for example 

I’m certainly not here to say one line is better than the other as that’s a ridiculous claim to make, sure the last couple of years have shown me that many lines have positives and negatives over Crystal - ultimately it comes down to the overall package and what’s important to us - things like Computer Classes, several other aspects of enrichment programmes, Clergy onboard and Fitness Centres don’t make a difference to me but Food, Entertainment and most of all Service are what matter to me - but that’s just me 

We know people won’t agree with each other but as long as they stay within CC rules then that’s all that matters - my suggestion is to let the debate run and let the CC Hosts do their thing rather than trying to cut people off 

I am not surprised that some entertainers and lecturers sail on other lines as we have sailed on other lines. And when Crystal was not sailing many entertainers and lecturers were on other lines.

With that said, with Crystal now back some of the entertainers and some of the lecturers will go back to either only being on Crystal or mainly being on Crystal.

As I have said for years, in the end only one opinion matters and that is our own.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

The best total package is in the eye of the beholder.

And even the beholder changes for a range of reasons from disposable income to age to activity level.

People should be happy with their choices and not have to put down others for their choices.

Life is short. For me I can't imagine gong to another board complaining about the same things over and over and telling others why they shouldn't like a product that many of them do.

I am just happy that I found a cruising product that we enjoy so much we return year after year.

I can't say that about all products but I can say about it in the arena of cruising.

• Like 1

Having brand new rooms is not discrimination but having solo rooms forward in the ship and not scattered in different areas or decks is discrimination. The part of the ship with the most movement and noise is where the solo staterooms are. If a solo cruiser wants to cruise in another part of the ship, for example midship, they need to pay the solo supplement. The double staterooms with a verandah has much reduced storage space and if you want more, you need to pay for a suite or take a clothes rack or live out of a suitcase. It’s great to know Keith that you have stayed in a double verandah stateroom in the past, however, would you stay in one now with less space for storage? This isn’t whinging, this is stating a fact. Storage space is reduced. It seems that the new Crystal wants to

people traveling together to stay in a suite in order to be comfortable which is more expensive or stay in a room now built for one. Marketing or discrimination? I love travelling on Crystal and I think its good to be objective and not covering it all sweetly. 

Edited by thebenz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebenz said:

Having brand new rooms is not discrimination but having solo rooms forward in the ship and not scattered in different areas or decks is discrimination. The part of the ship with the most movement and noise is where the solo staterooms are. If a solo cruiser wants to cruise in another part of the ship, for example midship, they need to pay the solo supplement. The double staterooms with a verandah has much reduced storage space and if you want more, you need to pay for a suite or take a clothes rack or live out of a suitcase. It’s great to know Keith that you have stayed in a double verandah stateroom in the past, however, would you stay in one now with less space for storage? This isn’t whinging, this is stating a fact. Storage space is reduced. It seems that the new Crystal wants to

people traveling together to stay in a suite in order to be comfortable which is more expensive or stay in a room now built for one. Marketing or discrimination? I love travelling on Crystal and I think its good to be objective and not covering it all sweetly. 

Having solo rooms which realize less revenue than a double occupancy room that are in the front of the ship is not discrimination IMHO.  It is setting price based on revenue.  This is no different than charging more for Aquamarine and Sapphire suites based on location or double staterooms based on location.

I know personally what discrimination is and this is not discrimination. 

As to me, yes knowing what I do if the closet space was the same back then in the staterooms as it was then we would have stayed in those rooms as we have on Symphony a couple of times and on Serenity as we did the first time we sailed on back to back cruises and on the 2007 World Cruise.  

Keith

I will add something.

As many know the old Crystal pricing model didn't work so well given that it was rare they made a profit. So the choice is simple. Adjust the model or cut back on the amenities offered.    At the same time the ship guest capacity has been reduced several times. Originally over 1,000 could sail. 

So yet the solo supplement changed as did the pricing for suites

Personally, I think cruising is a great value and for all we get with Crystal I consider it an outstanding value.

I realize that it might not work for everyone and for those traveling solo the pricing is higher.  

When the word discrimination is used IMHO it is over the top. There is true discrimination around the world but to me that has more to do with religion, race, gender and color of our skin just to name some but not all of what I consider to be discrimination.  

Keith

• Like 1

The closet doors and storage space in the solo cabins 'are problematic' - that's an understatement, I'd find it extremely annoying.

'for those travelling solo the pricing is higher' - yep, got that.

I'm not stupid, I'm not paying more for less.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

The closet doors and storage space in the solo cabins 'are problematic' - that's an understatement, I'd find it extremely annoying.

'for those travelling solo the pricing is higher' - yep, got that.

I'm not stupid, I'm not paying more for less.

I just started a new thread with photos of the solo rooms which I think are very nice. And I am not stupid for sure.

Keith

• Like 1

i'm really surprised and disappointed that Crystal doesn't offer any on board credits to passengers.  i don't know of a cruise line that doesn't offer some type of on board credit or bonus for passengers.  it will be interesting to see if this policy gets changed.  and i know it will only change if people complain about it to management.

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

i'm really surprised and disappointed that Crystal doesn't offer any on board credits to passengers.  i don't know of a cruise line that doesn't offer some type of on board credit or bonus for passengers.  it will be interesting to see if this policy gets changed.  and i know it will only change if people complain about it to management.

We received on board discounts.  We took advantage of the program where we did those open bookings at home and the money went for our deposit and since we booked by x time frame we each received $250.00 on board credit for each booking.  We also received an on-board credit having been with A&K.  And we received an onboard credit like everyone who was on the first voyage did which was added while we were all on the cruise.

My experience is that on board credits varied in the past based on many different factors

I don't want Crystal to copy everything others do. The need to be aware of them and evaluate what makes sense as they develop their marketing and sales approach.

Keith

I loved the old Crystal but it was not perfect.   Not being able to get a veranda room for 20 to 30 percent more is my biggest problem with new C.  Then seeing the lack of storage in the solo rooms which are also marketed to couples topped the cake.  I can get a veranda and a much larger stateroom, more choices for dining, all excursions on a ship of 500-700  for less than the current CC charge.    Guess the bottom line is the new C is too expensive for me .

i have booked a trip on Crystal. I am not a light packer.  I want to know how those people in the renovated 7th floor cabins are dealing with the lack of storage space.    Suspect with a bit of time as now all so happy with the return to cruising , will get some objective comments.

• Like 3