PVSA on B2B

Alaska05

35 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

Thanks everyone. I understand the distinction now. Don’t understand why it’s still a law, but that’s another matter.

The law applies to any ship with 12 or more passengers.  As such it covers tour boats, ferries, fishing charters, etc  far more than just cruise ships.

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not applicable to an Alaskan cruise, but there are a few exceptions like the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

It is applicable to Alaskan cruises.

A foreign flagged ship can not go from Seattle to Whittier or Seward. This is why ships do Vancouver to Whittier/Seward. Or RT Seattle or RT Vancouver.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is applicable to Alaskan cruises.

A foreign flagged ship can not go from Seattle to Whittier or Seward. This is why ships do Vancouver to Whittier/Seward. Or RT Seattle or RT Vancouver.

I guess I wasn't clear. The exceptions I mentioned wouldn't probably not be. I don't know of any cruises that go from Alaska to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, but in case there are any, they would either go through the Panama Canal or around South America, and thus almost certainly have a distant foreign port on the itinerary and be exempt for that reason.

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not applicable to an Alaskan cruise, but there are a few exceptions like the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Not applicable only while Canada was closed.  Back to applying to Alaska as well.

26 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I guess I wasn't clear. The exceptions I mentioned wouldn't probably not be. I don't know of any cruises that go from Alaska to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, but in case there are any, they would either go through the Panama Canal or around South America, and thus almost certainly have a distant foreign port on the itinerary and be exempt for that reason.

There is some weird exception for Puerto Rico. I don't know the details but Puerto Rico is somehow allowed under certain circumstances.

Okay. I'll try this

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title46/subtitle5/partD/chapter551&edition=prelim

Transportation of passengers between Puerto Rico and other ports in the United States.

(b) Exemption.—Except as otherwise provided in this section, a vessel not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade may transport passengers between a port in Puerto Rico and another port in the United States.

(c) Expiration of Exemption.—

(1) When coastwise-qualified vessel offering service.—On a showing to the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating, by the vessel owner or charterer, that a United States passenger vessel qualified to engage in the coastwise trade is offering or advertising passenger service between a port in Puerto Rico and another port in the United States pursuant to a certificate, the Secretary shall notify the owner or operator of each vessel transporting passengers under subsection (b) to terminate that transportation within 270 days after the Secretary's notification. Except as provided in subsection (d), the authority to transport passengers under subsection (b) expires at the end of that 270-day period.

(2) When non-coastwise-qualified vessel offering service.—On a showing to the Secretary, by the vessel owner or charterer, that a United States passenger vessel not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade is offering or advertising passenger service between a port in Puerto Rico and another port in the United States pursuant to a certificate, the Secretary shall notify the owner or operator of each foreign vessel transporting passengers under subsection (b) to terminate that transportation within 270 days after the Secretary's notification. Except as provided in subsection (d), the authority of a foreign vessel to transport passengers under subsection (b) expires at the end of that 270-day period.

and for US Virgin Islands, et al

(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (b), the coastwise laws apply to the United States, including the island territories and possessions of the United States.

(b) Exceptions.—The coastwise laws do not apply to

(1) American Samoa;

(2) the Northern Mariana Islands, except as provided in section 502(b) of the Covenant To Establish a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands in Political Union With the United States of America (48 U.S.C. 1801 note); or

(3) the Virgin Islands until the President declares by proclamation that the coastwise laws apply to the Virgin Islands.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

There is some weird exception for Puerto Rico. I don't know the details but Puerto Rico is somehow allowed under certain circumstances.

Puerto Rico is exempt until such time as ferry service is provided between the mainland and Puerto Rico.

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Puerto Rico is exempt until such time as ferry service is provided between the mainland and Puerto Rico.

I once saw a NYC to San Juan cruise which sort of surprised me.

• Like 1

46 U.S. Code Section 55103

(c) An exception to the prohibition in this section is the transportation of passengers between ports in Puerto Rico and other ports in the U.S. on passenger vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade. Such transportation is permitted until there is a finding under 46 U.S.C. 55104 that a qualified U.S.-flag passenger vessel is available for such service.

(2) Nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). A port in the U.S. Virgin Islands shall be treated as a nearby foreign port.