American to BA at LHR- Hoe much minimum time

lightsleeper

Taking an American Flight to Heathrow and changing to a British Air flight 

How much time for the layover do you suggest so that BOTH us AND our Bags make the BA flight.

I have been through Heathrow before but never changed airlines

Thanks   Joe

2 hours ago, lightsleeper said:

How much time for the layover do you suggest so that BOTH us AND our Bags make the BA flight.

There really is no guarantee that either will happen, even if you leave a lot of time between flights. If you're looking for one, as your post seems to suggest, that's a fool's errand. In some ways, leaving more time between flights can actually increase the risks that your bags won't make it.

12 hours ago, lightsleeper said:

flying American, Phoenix to Heathrow

British Air Heathrow to Budapest

Same ticket

But which Terminals?

AA will come in to T3. 

BA flies out of T3 and T5.

You should know this piece of vital information to follow the correct purple signs when deplaning from AA.

Whichever way it is, you will need to go through security but if you don't need to be bussed to T5, it should be a bit quicker. You stay airside so you don't go through passport control, assuming you have a boarding pass for your BA flight.

I would never be happy with a connection of less than 2 hours, but I do like to be able to relax in the lounge between flights so a tighter one may be doable.

We have been through Heathrow several times so we are familiar with times required for passengers. More concerned about luggage when changing airlines, American to British Air. If a terminal change is required what is the minimum time you would allow for the bags to make the next flight

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:
15 hours ago, lightsleeper said:

British Air Heathrow to Budapest

But which Terminals?

AA will come in to T3. 

BA flies out of T3 and T5.

You should know this piece of vital information ...

It's right there: It's BA to Budapest. It's T3.

15 minutes ago, lightsleeper said:

We have been through Heathrow several times so we are familiar with times required for passengers. More concerned about luggage when changing airlines, American to British Air. If a terminal change is required what is the minimum time you would allow for the bags to make the next flight

The official Minimum Connection Time for your T3-T3 connection is 60 minutes.

At 60 minutes, most passengers will make it, most of the time.

At 60 minutes, most bags will make it, most of the time.

That's why 60 minutes is the published time. With a longer time, a passenger will have a better chance of making the connection. The same goes for a bag. But even with four hours or five hours or more, either the passenger or the bag could still miss the connection. There is no way that you can get "the bags to make the next flight".

Personally, I wouldn't ask any one question in isolation. I would also factor in things like what the connection options are; what the backups are if either I or my bag miss the connection; how much would I miss my bag if it went walkies for 24 hours; and what I'd do at the airport during a longer connection time if I were to choose one.

And given that BA only operates three flights a day to BUD from LHR, and one has already left before you arrive from PHX, it seems a pretty binary choice.

In fact, that "mid-day" flight to BUD operates at different times on different days of the week.  Some leaving before the PHX arrival.  So depending what your flight day is, you may only have only option to BUD.

But then....since you give no further details.....