Forward Facing Balcony

Ballwin Babe

Breakaway.  

I've since learned that the Haven balcony is actually on the side of the ship.  There is a window which is foward-facing.  These cabins are larger than the side cabins.  Has anyone stayed in one?  What did you think?

As you've already mentioned the balcony is on the side, so the wind issue isn't really an issue.  I've not stayed in the forward Haven balcony, but have stayed multiple times in the DOS suites which are forward on smaller/older ships.  The DOS have balconies in the front and side, and yes, on sea days the forward balcony doesn't get much use.  However, never had a problem using the side balcony.  Overall, love the location.

The things to consider though is you're not in the Haven "proper".  You still have all Haven benefit (butler, concierge, restaurant, gym, etc.).  I find myself not using the Haven very much when I'm in a suite outside the Haven.  This is in part, as you've already mentioned, these suites are much larger.  Also, keep in mind there is more ship movement the further forward you go.

For Breakaway/Getaway, be aware that the balcony on deck 13 is partially enclosed.....

...and 13106 is a wheelchair accessible stateroom that is 1 large room and 1 large bathroom (no separate living room/bedroom like the others).

I don't know which decks are available but the lower the deck, the longer the walk to the elevator. Plus, low decks such as 9 or 10 have a forward view that is mostly blocked by the bow of the ship. If you can, take deck 12.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I can tell you that I only get forward facing balcony cabins for the view. I like to see where we're going. The wind is only bad if you open both the balcony door and the hallway door at the same time. And then its like a hurricane. Otherwise, it is very pleasant and I do not recall any wind issues.

There is one catch to watch for. Depending on the ship, you may be directly under the bridge. They want you to keep the balcony lights off and your curtains closed at night as the light reflects off the bridge windows. You will get a pleasant phone call from guest services if you forget. That's a drawback on the smaller shi[ps, but the Getaway Haven forward suites are above the bridge, so no issue.

• Like 1

The balcony is very sheltered, so not windy, but it’s not very big. The room is lovely with a huge bathroom, nice living room area and plenty of storage in the bedroom. Would definitely book this room again, just factor in how many flights of stairs you want to walk up to the Haven when you decide upon the deck!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, papicruiser said:

There is one catch to watch for. Depending on the ship, you may be directly under the bridge. They want you to keep the balcony lights off and your curtains closed at night as the light reflects off the bridge windows. You will get a pleasant phone call from guest services if you forget. That's a drawback on the smaller shi[ps, but the Getaway Haven forward suites are above the bridge, so no issue.

I’ve sailed in forward-facing suites directly under the Bridge on the Gem and Jewel and it was definitely not a “drawback” to have to close our curtains at night to avoid light pollution on the Bridge. First of all, once it gets dark out, you really can’t see anything outside through the glass from inside your cabin, especially if your lights are on. Second, the darkness in the bow was a huge plus — weather permitting, the stargazing from our balcony was amazing.

• Like 2

I was in a forward facing suite on the Encore. It was an amazing room. I’d book it every time if I could afford to. We didn’t spend a ton of time on the balcony because the Haven sun deck was so nice (and close to the bar), but the extra space in the room was amazing. 

5 minutes ago, rnfulk said:

I was in a forward facing suite on the Encore. It was an amazing room. I’d book it every time if I could afford to. We didn’t spend a ton of time on the balcony because the Haven sun deck was so nice (and close to the bar), but the extra space in the room was amazing. 

We just upgraded from an inside cabin to a Forward-facing Haven Suite!  Talk about an upgrade!  LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, papicruiser said:

I can tell you that I only get forward facing balcony cabins for the view. I like to see where we're going. The wind is only bad if you open both the balcony door and the hallway door at the same time. And then its like a hurricane. Otherwise, it is very pleasant and I do not recall any wind issues.

2 hours ago, papicruiser said:

The OP has said that she is in a forward facing Haven room on the Breakaway where there is no balcony facing forward. No issue with doors or the bridge. 

3 minutes ago, Ballwin Babe said:

We just upgraded from an inside cabin to a Forward-facing Haven Suite!  Talk about an upgrade!  LOL

You will have a wonderful time. We always book those rooms since they have the separate living room, more space, and a significantly lower cost than the smaller rooms in the Haven complex. 

The following link has some photos from the Breakaway from my live post this time last year. And some photos from the Haven Restaurant (the menu has changed a tiny bit in the last year). 

Bird, LOVED that thread!  What a great documentary on food!  I have a question:

We will be on the preceding TA cruise in a regular balcony cabin.  Would it be out of line to request assistance from the Haven butler to help us relocate to our Haven cabin?

• Like 1