Iona - A few questions

Selbourne

We are on Iona for the first time in a fortnight, and as we are only on her for 7 days I want to make sure that we maximise our time, so I wonder if those who have been on her could answer a few questions for me please?

MDRs - I am aware that Iona has 4 main dining rooms, 2 large (Coral & Pearl) and 2 smaller ones (Aqua & Opal). 

Am I correct in thinking that all 4 will be open at dinner and all bookable via the My Holiday app (so you can choose which of the 4 to book)?

How many of the 4 MDRs open for breakfast & lunch? (Britannia struggled at lunch on sea days with just 1 open, but had 2 open for breakfast)

Apart from size, are there any notable differences between the MDRs (is it just Arvia where one MDR doesn’t use table cloths)?

Bars - Other than Anderson’s & Crows Nest, which bars would people recommend for pre-dinner drinks? We don’t usually like Brodies and tend to use the Glass House for lunches, rather than just drinks. 

Skydome Shows - How do these work? I believe that you don’t book and just turn up? Does this mean you need to arrive quite early? Are there seats and has anyone noticed if there is any separate provision for wheelchair users?

The 710 Club - Does the same band perform for the duration of the cruise (different themes each night) or are there several? Am I correct in thinking that Pulse perform in there as well? With the latter, can you just turn up or do you have to book as you do with the main act?

Thanks in anticipation.

We were on Iona in January last year.

MDRs are all bookable via the app. I can't remember which are open for lunch and breakfast.

Skydome shows - you don't book, but they get very busy, so it is advisable to get there early. It is the same as Arvia in that there are chairs by the pool but the upper deck there is benched seating (with steps down) with seperate table and chairs behind. I hope that makes sense.

20220115_153411.jpg

• Thanks 1

With regards to the Skydome we never struggled for seating, but we would sit against the window near the blocked off buffet entrance. Our view was impeded, but it suited us as we had plenty of space for my sons chair, we were near the disabled WC, and could catch the eye of the waiters at the bar. Also the shows are on up to three times a night, often twice in the week, so we “saw” some shows multiple occasions and there were usually seats and tables around that area free due to the restricted views.

I think you will also find as the week goes on the Skydome shows become less popular as shows/style of shows get repeated - and some people realise it’s not their “cup of tea”. The area around the stage is set with loungers, but people did move them about to allow access for wheelchairs.

There are some nice atrium bars for pre-dinner drinks: and also a few deck bars (if the weather allows) which are nice to sit at and enjoy the sail away scenery.

with the MDRs don’t be put off by long waitlists at the two larger venues: 30 people in front equated to 10-20 minutes. The longest we waited was about 30 minutes when it was something like 60 in front of us. The smaller venues have shorted lists but longer waits.

• Thanks 1

On Iona recently we didn’t book any of the main dining rooms. I had struggled to download the app so just went down when we were ready and there were two queues. One for people who had booked on with the app and the other for those that hadn’t. Our queue was always the shortest. 

I had booked all the speciality restaurants prior to sailing so everything went really well.

29 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

On Iona recently we didn’t book any of the main dining rooms. I had struggled to download the app so just went down when we were ready and there were two queues. One for people who had booked on with the app and the other for those that hadn’t. Our queue was always the shortest. 

I had booked all the speciality restaurants prior to sailing so everything went really well.

Thanks. When you went to the MDR as a walk-up, were you seated immediately, or given a pager?

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

MDRs - I am aware that Iona has 4 main dining rooms, 2 large (Coral & Pearl) and 2 smaller ones (Aqua & Opal). 

Am I correct in thinking that all 4 will be open at dinner and all bookable via the My Holiday app (so you can choose which of the 4 to book)?

How many of the 4 MDRs open for breakfast & lunch? (Britannia struggled at lunch on sea days with just 1 open, but had 2 open for breakfast)

Apart from size, are there any notable differences between the MDRs (is it just Arvia where one MDR doesn’t use table cloths)?

Based on the twice I have been on Iona.

All four will be open for dinner, but only Pearl for lunch - but it didn't seem to have the same issues as we both experienced recently on Britannia. 

As for choice - Pearl is nice if you can get a seat towards the windows at the back as it is then a massive height to the ceiling as the Coral floor only covers part. 

Aqua is more intimate than Pearl and Coral, but the narrow space can be an issue if you are sat were the waiters are rushing though. Opal I guess is the same but never ate in there.

The Olive Grove is a very good choice for lunch and a nice alternative to dinner, but you *must* book when you board as it will be fully booked otherwise.

Also the 'Asian' outlet in The Quays was not bad for a quick bite.

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Bars - Other than Anderson’s & Crows Nest, which bars would people recommend for pre-dinner drinks? We don’t usually like Brodies and tend to use the Glass House for lunches, rather than just drinks. 

An early slot in the 710 club is quite nice - sit on the far side over on the right for the best view and space for your wife's wheelchair.

Other than that my preference was the Crows Nest as the Glass House lacked atmosphere, but when I was last onboard they were doing the stupidity of only certain bars doing certain drinks, so every evening on the way to the Crows Nest I had to stop at Anderson's to pick up a Negroni as they were the only bar doing them!

Skydome Shows - How do these work? I believe that you don’t book and just turn up? Does this mean you need to arrive quite early? Are there seats and has anyone noticed if there is any separate provision for wheelchair users?

Can't help there as the thought of sitting on a damp deckchair in a room smelling of chlorine to watch a show didn't exactly appeal.

The 710 Club - Does the same band perform for the duration of the cruise (different themes each night) or are there several? Am I correct in thinking that Pulse perform in there as well? With the latter, can you just turn up or do you have to book as you do with the main act?

The same band plays in there six nights a week, and then they get someone else in for the night off - usually it seemed to be the ship's 'busker' and I never saw Pulse in there. The only time there was a change when the lead guitarist fell ill that day and was substituted by the guitarist from the orchestra who had a day off as Headliners were not performing, so had to learn the set in an hour.

It is a different show each night (and that same show three times a night), but as it is a vocal show from a singer on an upright piano, two guitarists, and a drummer, then there are similarities between each show - so a 'jazz show' isn't pure jazz and a 'rock show' isn't pure rock, etc. But there is enough difference to see multiple shows - and that's what I did on the last two week cruise I did, when I visited the 710 club on a dozen nights.

Also the cinema is good as it is four separate screens usually showing different things, and does have wheelchair seating.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Never given a pager, nearly always taken in straight away. There wasn’t any agro from the other queue either. 

Thanks. Yet more evidence that the current method of several systems working in conflict with one another is a complete farce, especially when those who do as P&O request and use the app get the bum deal and end up waiting longer!

You may find more comprehensive answers in my posts and some of the replies from when we were on board (here), but I'll try to cover them all here.

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

All four serve dinner, and appear on the app.  We intended to eat at all of them, but we sacked off the night we were due to eat in Pearl due to the uninspiring menu; we ate in Olive Grove that evening.

Just Pearl, Coral, and Aqua open for breakfast.  We tried all of them, but preferred Pearl as we were seated close to the aft windows, apart from the last morning.

On sea days, Pearl and Coral are open for lunch; on port days only one was open for lunch; to the best of my recollection, it was Pearl.

All the MDRs have tablecloths; no 🥄🥄🥄 wannabees on Iona!

Of the three we tried, we preferred Opal as a venue for dinner. I know @DamianG also preferred it. Both the smaller MDRs are much quieter than the larger ones, and who can actually hear yourselves and the music.  As you want a six seater for the days you are in the MDR, there were several in Opal, and they were in a good location, right next to the windows on the starboard side..  You may be best placed going early doors at the beginning of the cruise and having a word with the restaurant host about securing a time for the days you intend to eat.

You should really try Olive Grove for at least one dinner, and maybe also for a lunch (quieter); we found it much better than the one on Arvia.

We usually had pre-dinner drinks in our cabin just before setting out for our early dinner reservations.  On the couple of occasions we drank in a bar pre-dinner, it was the Emerald Bar; a good range of drinks and cocktails, and was ideally situated for three of the MDRs, without having to use the lifts. 

If you fancy the 710 club but haven't booked, you need to be hanging about in the Emerald Bar, waiting for the doors to open so you can get your name down.

I have to be honest, we didn't go to any shows in the Skydome as a couple; our lass didn't like it as a venue. The roof doesn't open as it does on Arvia, and the sound quality of vocal acts suffers as a result.  One of the acts performing in the theatre accurately described it as 'the leisure centre'.

With your cabin being midship, it may be easier for you to use the midship lifts and come off at deck 17, where you can have a view from above.  That said, I can't recall exactly, but the glass may be too high for your good lady to see any show.  So, you may be better on deck 16.  I don't recalled them having any spaces reserved for wheelchairs.

The only show in the Skydome that I watched from start to finish was Triboo.  A great mix of gymnastics, aerial acrobatics, juggling and martial arts.  I'm not really selling it but, believe me, they were really good; much better than anything you would get from the Headliners troupe.  They were all proper fit, too!  We saw them training one day in the atrium, and they were there for several hours.

If they're on, go and see them.

You may need to refer to the couple of posts where I specifically referred to the 710 club, and perhaps peruse the Horizons I uploaded.  The band in the 710 club are the same throughout the cruise; they perform four sets a night, and take one or two nights off, when (usually) the busker type singer that usually performs in Brodies makes and appearance.

Pulse do not perform in the 710 club.  When we were on Iona, we didn't see them as often as we had on other cruises, but they did perform late at night at least once in the Limelight Club when we were on Arvia earlier in the year.  I can't remember if they did the same when we were on Iona; you may find the answer in the Horizon.

Edited by TigerB

8 hours ago, TigerB said:

You may find more comprehensive answers in my posts and some of the replies from when we were on board (here), but I'll try to cover them all here.

All four serve dinner, and appear on the app.  We intended to eat at all of them, but we sacked off the night we were due to eat in Pearl due to the uninspiring menu; we ate in Olive Grove that evening.

Just Pearl, Coral, and Aqua open for breakfast.  We tried all of them, but preferred Pearl as we were seated close to the aft windows, apart from the last morning.

On sea days, Pearl and Coral are open for lunch; on port days only one was open for lunch; to the best of my recollection, it was Pearl.

All the MDRs have tablecloths; no 🥄🥄🥄 wannabees on Iona!

Of the three we tried, we preferred Opal as a venue for dinner. I know @DamianG also preferred it. Both the smaller MDRs are much quieter than the larger ones, and who can actually hear yourselves and the music.  As you want a six seater for the days you are in the MDR, there were several in Opal, and they were in a good location, right next to the windows on the starboard side..  You may be best placed going early doors at the beginning of the cruise and having a word with the restaurant host about securing a time for the days you intend to eat.

You should really try Olive Grove for at least one dinner, and maybe also for a lunch (quieter); we found it much better than the one on Arvia.

We usually had pre-dinner drinks in our cabin just before setting out for our early dinner reservations.  On the couple of occasions we drank in a bar pre-dinner, it was the Emerald Bar; a good range of drinks and cocktails, and was ideally situated for three of the MDRs, without having to use the lifts. 

If you fancy the 710 club but haven't booked, you need to be hanging about in the Emerald Bar, waiting for the doors to open so you can get your name down.

I have to be honest, we didn't go to any shows in the Skydome as a couple; our lass didn't like it as a venue. The roof doesn't open as it does on Arvia, and the sound quality of vocal acts suffers as a result.  One of the acts performing in the theatre accurately described it as 'the leisure centre'.

With your cabin being midship, it may be easier for you to use the midship lifts and come off at deck 17, where you can have a view from above.  That said, I can't recall exactly, but the glass may be too high for your good lady to see any show.  So, you may be better on deck 16.  I don't recalled them having any spaces reserved for wheelchairs.

The only show in the Skydome that I watched from start to finish was Triboo.  A great mix of gymnastics, aerial acrobatics, juggling and martial arts.  I'm not really selling it but, believe me, they were really good; much better than anything you would get from the Headliners troupe.  They were all proper fit, too!  We saw them training one day in the atrium, and they were there for several hours.

If they're on, go and see them.

You may need to refer to the couple of posts where I specifically referred to the 710 club, and perhaps peruse the Horizons I uploaded.  The band in the 710 club are the same throughout the cruise; they perform four sets a night, and take one or two nights off, when (usually) the busker type singer that usually performs in Brodies makes and appearance.

Pulse do not perform in the 710 club.  When we were on Iona, we didn't see them as often as we had on other cruises, but they did perform late at night at least once in the Limelight Club when we were on Arvia earlier in the year.  I can't remember if they did the same when we were on Iona; you may find the answer in the Horizon.

Many thanks. As always, I really appreciate your comprehensive reply. All duly noted. 👍

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ardennais said:

During February half term, on Iona, we fancied a film on the first sea day, but we found all the cinemas were full when we turned up which was a good half hour before screening. 

We don’t use the cinemas, so at least that’s one thing we won’t need a plan for 😂 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We don’t use the cinemas, so at least that’s one thing we won’t need a plan for 😂 

The funny thing about Arvia's cinemas was people thoughtthey should queue - so used to it everywhere else - but actually the system was good as you didn’t need to queue. Pick a fiom, go to the door of the screen showing it and press a button on the screen.  This showed availability of all seats and you selected from there and proceeded straight in.  I thought it was an excellent innovation far better than stumbling into Britannia's freezing dark hole of Calcutta!

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The funny thing about Arvia's cinemas was people thoughtthey should queue - so used to it everywhere else - but actually the system was good as you didn’t need to queue. Pick a fiom, go to the door of the screen showing it and press a button on the screen.  This showed availability of all seats and you selected from there and proceeded straight in.  I thought it was an excellent innovation far better than stumbling into Britannia's freezing dark hole of Calcutta!

Yes that does sound good. Our daughters may well go, but I’m still not sold 😂 I never go to the cinema even at home, as it infuriates me when folk feel the need to talk during the film (it’s bad enough when they do that in the theatre) and also rustle sweet wrappers etc 😂 

We did enjoy having the interactive TV on Britannia recently though, as we find sea days boring, and there was a lack of interesting guest speakers. We watched a couple of really good Timothy Spall films and a number of hair raising documentary films about mountaineering and free climbing - not all of which ended well 😱

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

With the cost of sweets onboard Arvia I doubt there will much of that!!!!

Can you give an indication of sweet \ crisp prices?

I'm quite impressed at drink prices. Obviously not supermarket, but I doubt you'd get cheaper in any town centre location that isn't a 'spoons'

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Despite sailing on Arvia twice, and Iona once, we've never attended the cinema.

Do you recall if, on the seat map screen, it allows you to select a wheelchair bay and adjacent seat, or are they greyed out?

35 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

I'm quite impressed at drink prices. Obviously not supermarket, but I doubt you'd get cheaper in any town centre location that isn't a 'spoons'

I've just checked our onboard statement from June; £3.50 for a small pic 'n mix.  We didn't buy chocolate bars or crisps, but they were a right price. None of your Home Bargain prices onboard; think multiplex cinema prices to give you an idea.

Having gone our with the kids for an afternoon session in the marina area of Hull, the first in a while, I was surprised how much beer prices have gone up; so, the bar prices onboard are reasonable, if you take 🥄🥄🥄 out of the equation.  Compared to prices in That London, they will probably be a bargain.

• Like 1

Thanks Tiger B!

I find cinema prices insane , especially as they no longer seem to care if you bring in sweets from elsewhere. Though personally I go to enjoy the film, not see how quietly I can extract sweets from the packaging!

Does anyone know if you can "surrender" whilst playing Blackjack on board? Or is that a basic strategy option I don't need to tattoo?

56 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

Bring your own sweets and crisps onboard the prices are horrendous,  think Tescos not on offer and double that!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Didn’t get that far on Iona as they were already full! Whereas on Britannia a few months later there was plenty of room and I can’t say it was cold! 

9 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

Thanks Tiger B!

I find cinema prices insane , especially as they no longer seem to care if you bring in sweets from elsewhere. Though personally I go to enjoy the film, not see how quietly I can extract sweets from the packaging!

Does anyone know if you can "surrender" whilst playing Blackjack on board? Or is that a basic strategy option I don't need to tattoo?

I broke my tooth on a blackjack. I haven't had one since. Toffees are also on the surrender list.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Bring your own sweets and crisps onboard the prices are horrendous,  think Tescos not on offer and double that!

Given that they have a completely captive audience with onboard credit to burn. I'm surprised they don't charge even more than that!