Buying your next cruise while onboard

HermmyGranger

We booked a 27 day for 2025 while onboard NS earlier this year.  We had to pay a $600 deposit, but we will get $850 OBC, Elite Bev Pkg, 3 shore x credits per person, 3 specialty dining credits pp, premium Wifi, pre pd crew appreciation.  The cruise is still quite expensive, but when you consider all that includes, it is reasonable plus our $600 is refundable if we choose to cancel.  

I never really understood the FCC either, so this thread has helped a bit.

This may have changed since our February 2023 cruise, but at that time, we could not purchase or use FCDs on a cruise purchased at the "non-refundable deposit" rate.

While onboard, we attempted to book a cruise at the less-expensive "non-refundable deposit" rate and use FCDs for the reduced deposit. (We'd seen a much less expensive rate for this sailing on an online booking site and discovered that it was based on a non-refundable deposit.) The HAL Future Cruise Consultant told us that we could either:

• Book at the higher "refundable deposit" rate and purchase or redeem FCDs for that cruise. 
  • OR book at the less-expensive "non-refundable deposit" rate, but could not purchase or redeem FCDs. (FCDs are not usable if you plan to book with a non-refundable deposit.)

So, we had to decide: how likely is it that we would need to cancel and are we were willing to eat the deposit.... OR, did we want to pay more for the safety of being able to cancel until final payment. We chose the non-refundable deposit because the savings was considerable and the deposit wouldn't be a huge burden. We also have travel insurance, which diminished the risk. Of course, an expensive cruise would require a larger deposit, which would be a big loss if one had to cancel and lose that deposit.

By the way, the published rate was the "refundable deposit" rate. We had to specifically ask to find out that there was a "non-refundable deposit" rate, because it wasn't shown as an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, Petronillus said:

And I thought I was able to cancel a cruise without penalty up to the date of final payment.

There are a few cruises that the cancellation period date is before the final payment date. For these you must cancel 121 days before the cruise for a full refund. These are: Grand World Voyages, Grand Voyages, 28+day Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas, Tales of the South Pacific, Amazon Explorer, Incan Empires, and 30+ day Transatlantic sailings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently had to cancel a cruise and had used FCD.  I was told they would not go back as FCD but as FCC.  I have never had that happen before.  Usually they return to me as FCD. Anyone else experience  this?

21 minutes ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

I recently had to cancel a cruise and had used FCD.  I was told they would not go back as FCD but as FCC.  I have never had that happen before.  Usually they return to me as FCD. Anyone else experience  this?

We cancelled a cruise in June and the FCD's were returned as FCD's and we used one of the $300 for 2 deposits during the $1 special in July and received the $75 OBC which went with it for a veranda cabin

25 minutes ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

We had a Dec 2023 cruise cancelled by HAL earlier this year, and the FCD was returned as FCD.

Does anyone know how booking onboard works if you have a PCC and want them to get the credit for your booking?

Is is automatic that the PCC will get that booking (when you have a PCC) or would we need to "transfer" the booking within HAL they way you would if transferring to an external TA?

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Does anyone know how booking onboard works if you have a PCC and want them to get the credit for your booking?

Is is automatic that the PCC will get that booking (when you have a PCC) or would we need to "transfer" the booking within HAL they way you would if transferring to an external TA?

I am no expert, but in our experience:  The on board rep has always asked us if we want the booking to go to the agent we booked the current cruise with.  I think using the same PCC or TA is easier.  When you wish to drop your agent, I think that ends up being a bit difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IF we are currently onboard and wish to book another cruise with some family members are we able to get the Onboard booking deal for the additional rooms or is it limited to just the room for those on the current sailing? 

We will need 4 rooms (maybe 5) and it would be very nice if we could all benefit!

12 hours ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

I just canceled a cruise two days ago and the FCD was returned to my Mariner account as a FCD within 24 hours.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, HermmyGranger said:

I know they offer "deals" if you book a cruise while you're on a cruise. Are they really any better than just booking at any time?

My brother and I purchased a Future Cruise Deposit on the Koninigsdam for $100 each.

We turned around and called our TA  and they were offering significant discounts on a cruise in August 2024 and we booked through the TA.   The FCD qualified as our deposit ($200 vas $1200) on a Neptune Suite and we were given a $200 OBC.   

When booking onboard, HAL offers some nice OBC, but our fare through the TA  and  a TA perk was a good bargain for the pricey  aft Neptune.  

• Thanks 1