Icy Point Strait Advice

cleobella

We will dock in Icy Point Strait in June from 1:30 pm to 10 pm.  I understand this is a small, quiet port, owned by the local indigenous people.  We'll probably plan to be out in the afternoon, right after docking.  I would like to avoid a booked excursion if possible.  We like short nature walks and local/cultural sights and activities.  If you have any good ideas on how to spend a few relaxing, educational hours here please share! From what I've searched so far, it seems that we might be able to walk one way to town and take a shuttle back home.  There is a renovated Cannery there too?  Does anyone know what we could see in town other then shopping (though that is always good), and is the Cannery in walking distance from the ship?  Where is the best place here to see wildlife?  Thanks!

Its been a long time since we were at ISP but I remember that my wife and I walked the one mile or so into town, had coffee at a local cafe and talked with the wife of the Chief of Police! We saw Bald Eagles out on the docks etc. and you are quite close to the ocean so keep an eye out for whales etc. Sorry I can't be of more help. Very nice and easy stroll if I remember, all flat and paved though I think you can get down onto the shoreline easily enough, infact I believe we walked there and back. 

Edited by lucywestie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cleobella said:

We will dock in Icy Point Strait in June from 1:30 pm to 10 pm.  I understand this is a small, quiet port, owned by the local indigenous people.  We'll probably plan to be out in the afternoon, right after docking.  I would like to avoid a booked excursion if possible.  We like short nature walks and local/cultural sights and activities.  If you have any good ideas on how to spend a few relaxing, educational hours here please share! From what I've searched so far, it seems that we might be able to walk one way to town and take a shuttle back home.  There is a renovated Cannery there too?  Does anyone know what we could see in town other then shopping (though that is always good), and is the Cannery in walking distance from the ship?  Where is the best place here to see wildlife?  Thanks!

It depends on your dock.  Wilderness dock is near the free gondola to the cannery, and Adventure dock is at the cannery.  The town is actually a real Alaska town.  There's a couple of restaurants but no shopping.  The cannery has some shops.  There is a cultural and dance show at the cannery.  You can walk between docks and along the road into town.  There are some trails, but frequently closed because of bear activity.  Icy Strait is known for its world-class whale watching.

• Like 1