Sasha123

bubbles 1944

2 hours ago, bubbles 1944 said:

Looking at Viking Barcelona to Athens. Did a world cruise and several more on Princess.  Is it better to book through travel agent or Viking?  Any advice on insurances?

Thanks

We always use a Travel Agent - a good one.  They can give us OBC's (On Board Credits) and do so at the maximum that Viking allows for TA's.  (150, 300, 500 PP depending on cruise length).   They are also quite helpful in many ways - help us get our air flights (since we don't do Viking air).

We also have a very good and favorite Viking rep - so we make both happy by first contacting that rep, booking the cruise and getting immediate access to what rooms are available.  Then we contact the TA and have the booking moved over to the TA.  Both then get the commission.  And they both are fine with us doing that.  Works well.

Insurance - we believe it is always better NOT to get insurance from the cruise provider (Viking TripMate).  First, it costs more on a % basis (usually) and second, lots of issues with the vouchers, and more.   Note - if you are older than 75, 3rd party insurance may cost more.

Hope you have a great trip!  When do you go?  We are doing the Rome to Athens portion (not doing the Barcelona to Rome portion) of the Viking 4 leg runs that they do back and forth (leg 4 is Istanbul).  We go February '24.

OK - I'm curious - what is Sasha123?  Not your normal topic name.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

Advice on insurance. Buy from a third-party. 

Viking is cheaper but if you have to cancel, your refund will include vouchers PLUS you will have to pay the full amount at booking. Viking only covers the Viking portion of your trip and does not cover airfare you purchase for yourself.

With a third-party, most will let you pay a minimum amount at booking (for the existing conditions coverage) and then pay the balance when you pay in full or have other out  of pocket trip expenses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking’s coverage will also not insure any self-extensions. 

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

With a third-party, most will let you pay a minimum amount at booking (for the existing conditions coverage) and then pay the balance when you pay in full or have other out  of pocket trip expenses. 

Also minimum amount within 2-3 weeks of booking for CFAR coverage.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking is cheaper but if you have to cancel, your refund will include vouchers PLUS you will have to pay the full amount at booking. Viking only covers the Viking portion of your trip and does not cover airfare you purchase for yourself.

Peregrina -

Viking is NOT mostly cheaper in our experience.  13 cruises.  All of them more expensive if we'd used Tripmate as I do comparisons with 3rd party insurance.  Plus better insurance and more flexibility with 3rd party.

We have friends over 75, though, who say Viking Tripmate MAY be cheaper than 3rd party at ages over 75.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Peregrina -

Viking is NOT mostly cheaper in our experience.  13 cruises.  All of them more expensive if we'd used Tripmate as I do comparisons with 3rd party insurance.  Plus better insurance and more flexibility with 3rd party.

We have friends over 75, though, who say Viking Tripmate MAY be cheaper than 3rd party at ages over 75.

Viking insurance is much less expensive if you are older. Can’t remember if the big change is at 75 or 80, but the difference is huge. We used to get Travel Guard which we really liked (and had to use once). Now it is only Viking.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Viking insurance is much less expensive if you are older. Can’t remember if the big change is at 75 or 80, but the difference is huge. We used to get Travel Guard which we really liked (and had to use once). Now it is only Viking.

Regardless of price, I want my insurance provider to pay my claim in cash not vouchers for a future cruise that I might not be able to use.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

A simple search on google for "Wine Stores in Tarragona Spain" will give you plenty of opportunities.

image.thumb.png.af343207e45a32685f8429b402ec0419.png

If you aren't looking for expert guidance or the chance to taste before you buy, many supermarkets also carry wine.

1 hour ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

I'm groaning as I hope it wasn't a password accidentally placed in the wrong spot

At least the problem can be remedied. Change the password.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:42 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Has anyone heard of FlexiPax Insurance Company? Received a ridiculously low quote. The quote came from a highly rated trip insurance broker. Though I would solicit opinions before contacting them.  Thank you

3 hours ago, SoDakPirate said:

FlexiPax Insurance Company

Anything that is ridiculously low can't be all good.  Until you read exactly what they are offering for that price, you don't even know if it covers your needs.

Tried Googling the company name. I didn't come up with anything on the first page that was relevant and just that fact says "stay away from that company."

In the US, insurance companies are regulated on the state level. Check out your state's Insurance Commissioner's website. If they aren't regulated by your state, stay away.

Finally, the only people you want to reply to your request for information about dealing with the company are people who have actually bought the insurance AND have made a claim against it. The folks who used the insurance company and did not have to make a claim are going rave about the cheap price. But the real telling of the quality and reliability of the product is when you go to make a claim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoDakPirate said:

Has anyone heard of FlexiPax Insurance Company? Received a ridiculously low quote.

I have a good broker, and use one of two companies, and one of two policies depending on whether the trip is domestic or overseas, because of the medical insurance.  Rates will certainly depend on age and where you are going and for how long, but my rule of thumb is that good insurance will cost about 9% of the total trip cost.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SoDakPirate said:

Has anyone heard of FlexiPax Insurance Company? Received a ridiculously low quote. The quote came from a highly rated trip insurance broker. Though I would solicit opinions before contacting them.  Thank you

FlexiPax is a product offered by Travel Insured, a reputable company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

FlexiPax is a product offered by Travel Insured, a reputable company.

Thank you!! The correct name of the company makes all of the difference.

Google results were much different when I put in "Travel Insured" -- and much more reassuring. The Company website was at the top of the results followed by multiple mentions in well-known media sources and article -- just what you want to see.

What I was looking for was the fine print for the insurance that would tell who is underwriting the products. I found it in the website footer -- just where I wanted to find it. I then googled the underwriter.  Insurance companies are rated in much the same way that bonds and investments are rated.

Insuremytrip.com actual has a list of the products they handle along with the underwriters and their ratings. Travel Insured is one of the companies they deal with.

Nonetheless, whenever something is ridiculously low compared to the competition, I want to know why. I go looking for every negative, every weak point, every difference that I can find before I'm a happy camper. When it comes to insurance, if it doesn't meet my needs, low price isn't not going to sway me.