Not an all incl or beach club

Gladys Kravitz

1 hour ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

Looking for a beachfront resturaunt with loungers,food and drinks. Quiet and uncrowded. Not interested in a beach club or all inclusive. 

Punta Morena, El Pescador, Chen Rio, Palencar, Sky Reef, Money Bar, Jeannie’s, No Name Bar, La monina, Hemingway’s, Buccanos, Play Azul.

No guarantees on quiet and un crowded- will depend on the day and time of day.

All have websites,  some have cover charge.

Lots more ocean front restaurants but they don’t have loungers.

• 2 weeks later...

Playa Palancar, 20+ years ago…We were there, alone all day, except for a diving group that stopped in for lunch.

Fast forward to today -  no such animal exists when your cruise ship is in port…Money Bar is probably your best option with your requirements, we’d choose Bucannos…

Our favorite spot to stop for a bit when we ferry over for the day is the Bob Marley bar. Fewer day visitors, but instead of beachfront you have waves hitting the rocks…

[EDIT] Gladys, you were Samantha’s neighbor on “Bewitched”! 😄
I’m sure you’ve heard that one before!

Edited by blue_water

13 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Playa Palancar, 20+ years ago…We were there, alone all day, except for a diving group that stopped in for lunch.

Fast forward to today -  no such animal exists when your cruise ship is in port…Money Bar is probably your best option with your requirements, we’d choose Bucannos…

Our favorite spot to stop for a bit when we ferry over for the day is the Bob Marley bar. Fewer day visitors, but instead of beachfront you have waves hitting the rocks…

+1 Agree on all points, only proviso would be NOT Bob Marley when sargassum is bad.

We also liked Palancar before the crowds found it and it is probably time for a revisit. We haven’t been since before Covid but I see they have an impressive new website!

We like Buccanos but haven’t been since they sold off part to Islands next door so although it is smaller it is probably quieter without the cruise ship excursions. I am glad they have come to their senses and have the same entrance fees for cruisers and land visitors now.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

+1 Agree on all points, only proviso would be NOT Bob Marley when sargassum is bad.

We also liked Palancar before the crowds found it and it is probably time for a revisit. We haven’t been since before Covid but I see they have an impressive new website!

We like Buccanos but haven’t been since they sold off part to Islands next door so although it is smaller it is probably quieter without the cruise ship excursions. I am glad they have come to their senses and have the same entrance fees for cruisers and land visitors now.

c, Yes, if there is heavy sargassum at the time and it smells bad the east shore is not the place to be, you are right…If light or non-existent it’s just a fun bar to hang at. The waves on the rocks are mesmerizing…

We took friends visiting us in ‘19 if I recall from the mainland to check out Playa Palancar. There were two larger ships and one smaller in port, so not a 6 - 7 ship day…
They had expanded the line of palapas and tables waaaay down the beach, and every spot was taken. We haven’t been back since either…We did drive by in ‘21 and saw it was definitely busy!

20 years ago it was far enough away from the cruise ship dock…Every island with a cruise port shares this problem today…

I often see folks requesting a recommendation for a gorgeous beach in many Carib forums, with all the amenities, but away from their fellow cruisers…That’s animal rarely exists today…☹️

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

I’m really more of a crashing waves girl than a beach girl but I don’t know how the seaweed will be first week of Sept. how far is the Bob Marley bar from the cruise port?

It’s about 30 minutes from town. You’d drive/ride south along the west coast and around the southern tip. It’s now called the Freedom in Paradise Reggae Beach Bar & Grill and is situated near the southern end of the east coast…you can Google videos and photos…
Coconuts is another popular spot, that is about 30 minutes on the transverse road…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

Does Buccanos have walking massueses? Rather than pay $400,minus tip for a couples massage on ship I’d rather pay $100 on the beach. 

Not sure what “walking”means?

https://buccanos.com/en/amenities

it says there is a menu but i am not seeing it!

Or there is 

https://www.barefootincozumel.com

Used to be highly recommended but I see she has injured her hand.

Edited by c-leg5

We have a masseuse on our beach who is great, and a 70 minute massage was $35 w/tip. Now that the resort guests on either side of her have found and promoted her, she gets $35/30 minutes and they love that…

As mentioned earlier, “our secret” beaches and places are going!

• Like 1

By walking,I meant that they can just come to you why you sit in a chair or lounger and massage your shoulders and back while you watch the surf and sip on a drink.  I don’t have to have a full on massage but it would be nice. 
Blue where is your secret beach? I’d love to go. 

Edited by Gladys Kravitz
Mis spell

10 hours ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

By walking,I meant that they can just come to you why you sit in a chair or lounger and massage your shoulders and back while you watch the surf and sip on a drink.  I don’t have to have a full on massage but it would be nice. 
Blue where is your secret beach? I’d love to go. 

I’ve never seen a “walking” masseuse anywhere in the Carib, sorry…maybe that’s something new, or have you seen that somewhere?
Along the RM (and in Coz I assume) you will see massage “stations”, or palapas with massage tables, typically 4 - 6 tables and staff. 20+ years ago at Playa Palancar one lady had one table and my wife was her favorite (read “only”) customer!

On our beach we’ll see the ladies walking the beach soliciting business from the hotels, restaurants, and resorts. Resort guests are expecting - or willing - to pay $70 - $90 USD w/tip USD for a 50 minute massage, which has raised the price for us “locals” too of course. Although by knowing the girls we still get the “old” price…

They’re not really “secret” beaches, just beaches that were once too far from the cruise docks, like Playa Palancar, or that were undeveloped and the cruise lines turned into cruise ship excursions, like Long Bay (Beef Island) and Lindqvist on STT…

Edited by blue_water

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

They’re not really “secret” beaches, just beaches that were once too far from the cruise docks, like Playa Palancar, or that were undeveloped and the cruise lines turned into cruise ship excursions, like Long Bay (Beef Island) and Lindqvist on STT…

Sorry, Long Bay (Beef Island) is on Tortola ☺️

2 hours ago, 12531 said:

Are you able to go in the water there??

Yes, its not a beach but there is water access to snorkel.  They have tables waterfront, with umbrellas.  As long as you buy drinks or food you can sit there all day long.  

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_1.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_10.jpg

4 hours ago, 12531 said:

anyone know how much a taxi costs from cruiseport to Playa Palancar and how much time it takes

Depends on time of day and which pier you are going from.

$25-30 for 4 people each way. 15-25 minutes.