Cunard Ambassador

lenquixote66

Yes we sailed on it in 1973 or was it Cunard Adventurer?  We flew to Antigua from London in November 1973 and stayed a week at Cunard’s La Toc Hotel, then a week sailing around the West Indies.  On the way home the BA flight from Antigua was via Barbados.  Just before take off from Barbados there was a major power failure at Barbados airport and our plane couldn’t leave.  We were all strapped in waiting to take off.  After an hour or maybe a lot longer, I don’t recall, the Barbados airport stall put flares down either side of the runway and we took off.

I wonder whether Health & Safety would allow that today?!

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Here’s another view from my visit in 1973.IMG_0730.thumb.jpeg.838c2dc63a5a49fac2e883dd1c0cefba.jpeg

So nice to see Southampton on the stern rather than Hamilton.  I just wish Cunard would reflag one or two to Southampton again if not all of them.  Maybe someday!

• Like 1

Cunard flies the flag of the British Merchant Fleet, The Red Ensign flag, not the traditional Bermuda flag as pictured above. It seems Cunard is a hybrid British/Bermuda vessel. 

IMG_3454.jpeg

Edited by NE John

9 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Or at least be honest. And respectful and fly the correct Red Ensign for Bermuda.  A ship registered in Bermuda should NOT be flying a non defaced or plain Red Ensign.  But this

Bermuda ensign.jpg

Not quite. Bermuda is a member of the Red Ensign Group, a consortium of British overseas territories and crown dependencies that includes the Virgin Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, and Cayman Islands (and for small vessels also Guernsey, Jersey, Montserrat, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, Saint Helena, and the Falklands).  Any ship registered in one of these countries is entitled to fly the undefaced red ensign, and doing so is no mark of disrespect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

Not quite. Bermuda is a member of the Red Ensign Group, a consortium of British overseas territories and crown dependencies that includes the Virgin Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, and Cayman Islands (and for small vessels also Guernsey, Jersey, Montserrat, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, Saint Helena, and the Falklands).  Any ship registered in one of these countries is entitled to fly the undefaced red ensign, and doing so is no mark of disrespect.

Thank you.

We were told the same by in an onboard lecture by a marine historian.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Thank you for that clarification. I’ve seen the flags of each Overseas Territory (Isle of Man being the coolest) and appreciate that the Red Ensign unifies them all. 

Guest SilverHengroen
On 8/16/2023 at 2:48 AM, westerdam said:

So nice to see Southampton on the stern rather than Hamilton.  I just wish Cunard would reflag one or two to Southampton again if not all of them.  Maybe someday!

P&O's 3 most recent ships (Britannia (2015), Iona (2021), Arvia (2022)) have all been registered in Southampton, despite the rest of the fleet having previously been reflagged in Hamilton. I wonder if there's a particular reason, and if Queen Anne might follow suit?