Looking for best priced shuttle service from the Sydney port to a downtown hostel

Shuttles aren't normally a "thing" here. At the airport you will find all kinds of shuttles but mostly to off airport car rental or hotels. At the port there won't be any generic ones. Just taxis & public transport or private drivers.

We caught a shuttle in Las Vegas. The van had only about a dozen people and the driver told us that the price of drinks on the strip was ridiculous and made a stop at a bottle shop for the passengers (probably got a cut) but it was nice to know as well as the commentary we got and the price was set.

Taxis can be hit or miss, we once had a maniac driver to Athens airport. We got there quickly but were also thankful that we made it.

1 minute ago, yarramar said:

Taxis can be hit or miss, we once had a maniac driver to Athens airport. We got there quickly but were also thankful that we made it.

Hahaha, my worst experience was with a NZ taxi driver whose girlfriend had just broken up with him and all I got all journey was woe is me!

12 hours ago, Jean C said:

Just my own personal preference. Shuttle drivers normally have other pick ups in their van and you also have a set fee. Taxi drivers can take advantage by driving a longer route than is necessary, maybe for extra income, in some countries they are notorious for this. I too have caught many taxis in my lifetime, with most being on my own, and I've not had any problems, but I am less inclined in overseas countries and would prefer a shuttle if available.

Hence why we give warnings about useless shuttle companies here ! 

Also - Uber and other rideshares have a set fare that doesn't change regardless of changing to a longer route - often to avoid tolls or traffic issues which they are aware of - and you won't be. 
With taxis you can request a specific route if you feel you will know the road conditions better than the experienced driver with up to date info on their GPS. 

56 minutes ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Hence why we give warnings about useless shuttle companies here ! 

Also - Uber and other rideshares have a set fare that doesn't change regardless of changing to a longer route - often to avoid tolls or traffic issues which they are aware of - and you won't be. 
With taxis you can request a specific route if you feel you will know the road conditions better than the experienced driver with up to date info on their GPS. 

Come to Melbourne  try getting a taxi to take from spencer street to spring Street melbourne , they will not even open the cab door for that.

come to melbourne  catch an uber from spencer to spring streets they will not accept your ride and if they do they will tell you to cancel  not far enough ride for them 

Come to melbourne get a taxi  to take you from spencer to the cruise terminal at station peir they will give you a set fee like $100 or more .   

yeah ya can on tram   packed with 100 people on the tram and ya might have 4 suitcases and 3 kids in in tow , but makes it very squishy  and you may not get all the luggage aboard special if they are young kids that cant carry suitcases  

where a shuttle you may just pay  a certain fare  for hubby,wife+3kids and get 4 suitcases picked up from the hotel to cruise ternimal  hassle free  and they may pick up of a couple stops 

i'm just talking  from melbourne perspective  here , but i would say Sydney will be  very similar

On 8/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, cruiser3775 said:

Ok, it's easy. Catch a light rail, line 2 or line 3 from Circular Quay. You can do this with luggage - there are no steep steps.  The tram wanders around a couple of turns, then does a long straight stretch up George Street. When it turns left, that's where you get off, at Haymarket, and your hostel is right next to the light rail stop.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

On 8/18/2023 at 11:43 PM, buchhalm said:

I am sorry (and cue the haters) but I do not understand why one is concerned about the cost of a suburban taxi ride and about saving a few $ when going on a cruise and probably travelling internationally or transcontinental to get here. 

To answer your question, I am cruising as transport instead of flying to Sydney (coming from Hawaii where I live- ). I will be backpacking Australia and SE Asia for about 7 months then taking a transpacific back when it repositions again. I am on a pretty strict budget to pull this off. 

1 hour ago, thekissboutique said:

To answer your question, I am cruising as transport instead of flying to Sydney (coming from Hawaii where I live- ). I will be backpacking Australia and SE Asia for about 7 months then taking a transpacific back when it repositions again. I am on a pretty strict budget to pull this off. 

Sounds like a wonderful trip, enjoy every minute of it and have lots of fun 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thekissboutique said:

Then the Light Rail is definitely your cheapest option. 😊

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 8:33 PM, ozdevil said:

Come to Melbourne  try getting a taxi to take from spencer street to spring Street melbourne , they will not even open the cab door for that.

come to melbourne  catch an uber from spencer to spring streets they will not accept your ride and if they do they will tell you to cancel  not far enough ride for them 

Come to melbourne get a taxi  to take you from spencer to the cruise terminal at station peir they will give you a set fee like $100 or more .   

yeah ya can on tram   packed with 100 people on the tram and ya might have 4 suitcases and 3 kids in in tow , but makes it very squishy  and you may not get all the luggage aboard special if they are young kids that cant carry suitcases  

where a shuttle you may just pay  a certain fare  for hubby,wife+3kids and get 4 suitcases picked up from the hotel to cruise ternimal  hassle free  and they may pick up of a couple stops 

i'm just talking  from melbourne perspective  here , but i would say Sydney will be  very similar

Lol I live in Melbourne. I've done each of the examples you have listed - with both taxis and Uber - and never had an issue.
I regularly do $7 or $8 short fares weekly - never been refused. As a non driver I also do lengthy trips where I can't be bothered with public transport. Uber is a set fee in advance during your acceptance of the booking. It does not alter during a drive. 

Yes certain rogue taxi drivers have been negotiating set fares especially during sports events. Simple - don't use them. 

I have never expected a driver to open a door for me. They are not subservient to me. 

I've done 5-8 trips to Sydney per year for 40 years for family visits, theatre/gigs or to board ships or flights overseas. So as a non driver I've utilised the dreaded shuttles, the train and taxis/Uber. 

15 hours ago, thekissboutique said:

Sounds like an awesome trip !!