Looking for best priced shuttle service from the Sydney port to a downtown hostel

Are you arriving at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay or the White Bay Terminal? Where is your Hostel located? The answers to these questions will allow for an accurate reply.

Edited by By The Bay

We need a little more information please to give you any help. What are the details? Do you mean Sydney airport or Sydney International Cruise Terminal? What is the address of the hostel you refer to? What are the times involved?

If you're going from the Overseas Passenger Terminal there is also the light rail that runs from Circular Quay right down George St to the Central Station area then goes through Surry Hills along Devonshire St. 

• Like 1

If you are coming into the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) at Circular Quay, and going to one of the big hostels in the Haymarket area, then walk down to Circular Quay from the ship, and catch the light rail, It will cost you about $3, and you can tap on and off with a credit card.

If you are coming into White Bay, a taxi is probably best. You might find someone in the queue to share with you into the CBD.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:32 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

A) no one uses shuttles here if they want to reach their intended destination anytime soon. Use taxi, Uber or train depending on answers you provide to everyone. 

B) which port in Sydney. 

C) which hostel & address. 

790 on George, in Sydney is the Hostel:)  I am not positive what cruise terminal. I'm not seeing that information on my booking. I may have to call. Thank you so much for your help tho!

21 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

If you are coming into the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) at Circular Quay, and going to one of the big hostels in the Haymarket area, then walk down to Circular Quay from the ship, and catch the light rail, It will cost you about $3, and you can tap on and off with a credit card.

If you are coming into White Bay, a taxi is probably best. You might find someone in the queue to share with you into the CBD.

Thank you! Much appreciated. 

On 8/16/2023 at 8:32 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

A) no one uses shuttles here if they want to reach their intended destination anytime soon. Use taxi, Uber or train depending on answers you provide to everyone. 

B) which port in Sydney. 

C) which hostel & address. 

790 on George, in Sydney is the Hostel:)  I am not positive what cruise terminal. Until this thread I didn't realize there were multiple 😳I'm not seeing that information on my booking. I may have to call. Thank you so much for your help tho!

Just now, thekissboutique said:

790 on George, in Sydney is the Hostel:)  I am not positive what cruise terminal. Until this thread I didn't realize there were multiple 😳I'm not seeing that information on my booking. I may have to call. Thank you so much for your help tho!

If you tell us what ship you are booked on we will be able to tell you which terminal you will be departing from. Them we can give more advice on transport. Personally, I usually take a taxi. It will tgo when and where I want and take me directly to my destination. On my last cruise I waited two hours for a booked (and paid for) Princess shuttle bus.

50 minutes ago, thekissboutique said:

I am not positive what cruise terminal. Until this thread I didn't realize there were multiple 😳I'm not seeing that information on my booking. I may have to call. Thank you so much for your help tho!

Here's where you can find the information:

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

If it's Circular Quay, it's easy to walk to the light rail terminus in 2-3 minutes and catch the light rail up George Street.

4 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

Here's where you can find the information:

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

If it's Circular Quay, it's easy to walk to the light rail terminus in 2-3 minutes and catch the light rail up George Street.

I believe she is on the Brilliance of the Seas so will be the OPT.

Ok, it's easy. Catch a light rail, line 2 or line 3 from Circular Quay. You can do this with luggage - there are no steep steps.  The tram wanders around a couple of turns, then does a long straight stretch up George Street. When it turns left, that's where you get off, at Haymarket, and your hostel is right next to the light rail stop.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Really easy to walk to as it is a very very wide pavement and flat all the way. Enjoy the view of the Opera House and the ferries as you walk along.

We often wheel our suitcases up to the train station after the cruise. The train station is just near the light rail.

As the light rail terminates at Circular Quay you have plenty of time to get your suitcase on the tram and get your pick of seats.

It will be the cheapest method to get to your hostel.

With the light rail you can use a credit card with a chip to tap on or buy an Opal card maybe at the train station (sorry I don't live in Sydney).

A rail/ferry/light rail /bus pass is cheap to buy and a great way to get around the city. You can use your pass to catch the ferry all the way over to Manly which is a wonderful way to see the harbour.

There are also a lot of walks to do around circular Quay which cost nothing. The Botanic gardens are great to stroll through as well as the historic rocks area.

I am sorry (and cue the haters) but I do not understand why one is concerned about the cost of a suburban taxi ride and about saving a few $ when going on a cruise and probably travelling internationally or transcontinental to get here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I am sorry (and cue the haters) but I do not understand why one is concerned about the cost of a suburban taxi ride and about saving a few $ when going on a cruise and probably travelling internationally or transcontinental to get here. 

My thinking also. Using a taxi would cost a few dollars more, but it is the easy and quick way to travel.

41 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My thinking also. Using a taxi would cost a few dollars more, but it is the easy and quick way to travel.

I guess it depends on how much luggage you have and how easy it is to manage the luggage. 

Sydney taxis can be a pain!

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Brilliance of the Seas has a passenger capacity of well over 2000 plus crew. How many taxi's do you think there will be available and how much do you think Uber will surge to?

The light rail is the way to go and even then there will be a queue.

The OP asked about an affordable shuttle service, not the cheapest way to get from A to B. If the OP is travelling alone, then a shuttle (if there is one) would be more cost effective than a taxi, so I can understand the original question. Of course, the suggestions of easy and convenient public transport are very helpful.

I hate using taxis in foreign countries (Aus is foreign to me) if I can avoid it, not the cost, but the feeling of being at the mercy of the taxi driver, especially if I am travelling alone 🥴

10 hours ago, Jean C said:

I hate using taxis in foreign countries (Aus is foreign to me) if I can avoid it, not the cost, but the feeling of being at the mercy of the taxi driver, especially if I am travelling alone 🥴

What's the supposed difference between being "at the mercy" of a shuttle bus driver vs the imagined fear of being "at the mercy" of a taxi driver ? 

I've caught taxis all over the world as a solo female for decades with zero issue. 

13 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

What's the supposed difference between being "at the mercy" of a shuttle bus driver vs the imagined fear of being "at the mercy" of a taxi driver ? 

I've caught taxis all over the world as a solo female for decades with zero issue. 

Just my own personal preference. Shuttle drivers normally have other pick ups in their van and you also have a set fee. Taxi drivers can take advantage by driving a longer route than is necessary, maybe for extra income, in some countries they are notorious for this. I too have caught many taxis in my lifetime, with most being on my own, and I've not had any problems, but I am less inclined in overseas countries and would prefer a shuttle if available.