Opinions please on your most enjoyable Viking Ocean Cruise trips

Fieldofdreams

We are only 42 days away from our next Viking Ocean cruise to Italy, the Adriatic and Mediterranean (Greece) and have recently taken one other Viking cruise to Australia/New Zealand. It would be great to hear from others who have traveled more extensively with Viking as to which other cruise(s) you have most enjoyed so we can take that information in as we consider booking another while onboard the ship in September. I realize this of course depends on various factors including places we have previously visited, but background information and opinions may weigh in on where we go next.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• Like 1

We did a 23 day Viking cruise from Barcelona to Stockholm (included St. Petersburg). This is no longer offered but if you find a cruise that sails through the archipelago to Stockholm it is awesome! Even better if it ends in Stockholm and you can spend a few extra days. 

• Like 3

We loved Viking Homelands in Sept 2018, which included St. Petersburg at that time.  Our cruise began in Stockholm so we arrived about 3 days early and enjoyed the city.  So many ports we had never been to before.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EchoIsland said:

We loved Viking Homelands in Sept 2018, which included St. Petersburg at that time.  Our cruise began in Stockholm so we arrived about 3 days early and enjoyed the city.  So many ports we had never been to before.  

We liked that one, too (our first Viking). I didn’t include it because no longer offered—and St. Petersburg nixed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoDakPirate said:

We did a 23 day Viking cruise from Barcelona to Stockholm (included St. Petersburg). This is no longer offered but if you find a cruise that sails through the archipelago to Stockholm it is awesome! Even better if it ends in Stockholm and you can spend a few extra days. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

We are only 42 days away from our next Viking Ocean cruise to Italy, the Adriatic and Mediterranean (Greece) and have recently taken one other Viking cruise to Australia/New Zealand. It would be great to hear from others who have traveled more extensively with Viking as to which other cruise(s) you have most enjoyed so we can take that information in as we consider booking another while onboard the ship in September. I realize this of course depends on various factors including places we have previously visited, but background information and opinions may weigh in on where we go next.

Thanks so much for sharing!

You're heading out on our favorite trip! We did that trip In March 2022, and had a great time; we did the 4-day extension in Athens as well. We've both said that we would take that trip again--perhaps add the Barcelona to Rome piece as well, or perhaps the piece at the end from Athens to Istanbul.

Our next Viking cruise is the British Isles Explorer, but our other trip we've looked at is from Bali to Australia and New Zealand, so you seem to like the same things we do. 🙂

We enjoyed our Caribbean cruise as well, but the Italy trip was definitely our favorite so far. We're actually doing a mixture of trips coming up--the Grand European river cruise in October, then next year a Rick Steves Scotland tour that will dovetail with the British Isles trip, then with Odyssey Tours to Machu Pichu and the Galápagos Islands, and then in 2025, a land tour through Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. So, which is our favorite? I suspect the Kenya trip will be our best ever, but the Italy cruise is right up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

You're heading out on our favorite trip! We did that trip In March 2022, and had a great time; we did the 4-day extension in Athens as well. We've both said that we would take that trip again--perhaps add the Barcelona to Rome piece as well, or perhaps the piece at the end from Athens to Istanbul.

Our next Viking cruise is the British Isles Explorer, but our other trip we've looked at is from Bali to Australia and New Zealand, so you seem to like the same things we do. 🙂

We enjoyed our Caribbean cruise as well, but the Italy trip was definitely our favorite so far. We're actually doing a mixture of trips coming up--the Grand European river cruise in October, then next year a Rick Steves Scotland tour that will dovetail with the British Isles trip, then with Odyssey Tours to Machu Pichu and the Galápagos Islands, and then in 2025, a land tour through Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. So, which is our favorite? I suspect the Kenya trip will be our best ever, but the Italy cruise is right up there.

Thank you so much for sharing, lots of food for thought. You have some wonderful trips coming up. We are very much looking forward to this trip to Italy/Adriatic/Greece. As you, we booked the Classic Athens extension which sold out shortly after we booked so we are grateful to be included. Interested in reading whatever you post on CC after upcoming trips. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, EchoIsland said:

Thank you

Every single cruise we have done with Viking has been great -- even the disasters, and we have had a couple, had some saving grace -- and each one for a different reason. At this stage in our lives, we are really quite happy to unpack once and have our hotel take us from place to place while we sleep and they do our laundry.

Our very first Viking adventure was a river cruise in 2010 to China. It beat every single cruise we had done up to that point. Since then, we have done Dnieper River & Crimea, Lower Danube (Budapest to Bucharest), France's Finest, (B2B Rhone and Seine Rivers) and just this past January, we finally got to do the Nile --which I highly recommend if you have never been there before (this is one I could do again and maybe even again -- so much to see).

Our introduction to Viking Ocean was "Into the Midnight Sun" in 2016, the first season they sailed it.  Since then we have done 3 variations on Western Med cruises, the winter repositioning from Barcelona to London (Iberian Explorer) and two cruises under full Covid protocols (Iceland circumnavigation and the Mexican Riviera (did not like the itinerary but was so happy to be on the ship)).

We have future bookings for British Isles Explorer and Far Eastern Horizons. And still more places on our to-do list that we want to see.

Enjoy choosing your next cruises!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Every single cruise we have done with Viking has been great -- even the disasters, and we have had a couple, had some saving grace -- and each one for a different reason. At this stage in our lives, we are really quite happy to unpack once and have our hotel take us from place to place while we sleep and they do our laundry.

Our very first Viking adventure was a river cruise in 2010 to China. It beat every single cruise we had done up to that point. Since then, we have done Dnieper River & Crimea, Lower Danube (Budapest to Bucharest), France's Finest, (B2B Rhone and Seine Rivers) and just this past January, we finally got to do the Nile --which I highly recommend if you have never been there before (this is one I could do again and maybe even again -- so much to see).

Our introduction to Viking Ocean was "Into the Midnight Sun" in 2016, the first season they sailed it.  Since then we have done 3 variations on Western Med cruises, the winter repositioning from Barcelona to London (Iberian Explorer) and two cruises under full Covid protocols (Iceland circumnavigation and the Mexican Riviera (did not like the itinerary but was so happy to be on the ship)).

We have future bookings for British Isles Explorer and Far Eastern Horizons. And still more places on our to-do list that we want to see.

Enjoy choosing your next cruises!

Thank you

We would vote for "Into the Midnights Sun"

The long, almost endless, days are amazing and it gives the opportunity to visit some out of the way places in the far north without it being too cold!

Edited by photopro2
Corrected punctuation.
  • Like 3

the one we still talk about is Passage to India - it was the wonders of the world tour starting in Athens and ending at the Taj Mahal

Also loved Homelands with St Petersburg was an option, last one was British Isles..

• Like 2

From our three Viking cruises, we would vote for the long Southern Atlantic Crossing Barcelona to BA.  Lots of lovely sea days in warm weather and the joy of the South American ports in spring, Rio, Montevideo and BA.  Jacarandas were flowering everywhere.  We particularly enjoyed Uruguay and would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Our favorite was South America and the Chilean Fjords last December.  There was just the right mixture of sea days to port days for us, and we got to see PENGUINS!!  Which was something on our bucket list.  And cruising around the Horn was fabulous.  Gorgeous scenery.  

• Like 3

I could not ever choose a favorite cruise, because I would do all of them over again!  We have done:

Atlantic crossing, Lisbon to Miami.  First cruise, we were hooked!  Wonderful, sunny sea days.  Introduced to the idea of a world cruise.  DH response ‘no bloody way!’  (Uh huh)

Trade Routes.  Almost a port every day.  We’d do it again.

South America.  OMG!  Utterly spectacular.  DH wanted to go back in the other direction!

<Covid hits, cruises get punted>

Finally get on a cruise ship again in Oct. 2021.  ‘No bloody way’ becomes ‘we need to take a longer cruise to make sure I don’t want to jump overboard on a world cruise’.  I piece together 3 cruises.

Med Antiquities (Athens to Barcelona), South Atlantic Crossing, and South America (we had the voucher, why not?).  54 days total.  Brazil wouldn’t let us in, Morocco and Senegal cancel.  We pick up Madeira and Cape Verde.  Argentina won’t let us dock for 14 days since we had been in Africa.  We had 9 consecutive sea days.  We are allowed to pick up passengers (finally) in Argentina.  No Falklands.  More sea days.  DH wants our cabin steward to hide us in the crew quarters, he doesn’t want to get off after 54 days.  
Grand European river cruise.  Wanted to check out this.  Have another scheduled next year.

World Cruise.  Scheduled when I caught DH at a weak moment during Covid restrictions.  We started in FL, and tacked on British Isles, Norway and Arctic and Iceland to NYC, so a total of 178 days.  Again, DH wanted to stay on longer.  I had 2 days of BP meds left when we got to NYC!  We tacked on Iceland to NYC while on the cruise.  
<we have 5 cruises booked, 1 a river cruise for 2024-25>

I would repeat any of these! 

• Like 4