Tax/VAT in spanish waters

joern

Hi

Going on Star from Lissabon november 12. Where we go to the Madeira, Canary Islands, Morocco and Spain/Gibraltar. Got this email from NCL:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

We have important information regarding Value Added Taxes (VAT) applicable on your upcoming European sailing. Travel Partners are asked to please share this information with impacted guests.

We pride ourselves on delivering incredible vacations from beginning to end including the ability to shop at our onboard boutiques, upgrade your experience with our Unlimited Open Bar packages, and indulge in unique culinary offerings available at our specialty restaurants that provide a variety of tastes for every palate.  

Due to local tax regulations, please note that a 21% Spanish VAT will be added to applicable retail items purchased on board for sailings departing from Spain and calling to European port cities. Additionally, a 10% VAT will be applied to all food and beverage purchases made onboard, including purchases made under our Unlimited Open Bar or Specialty Dining packages, for certain sailings departing from Spain or any European itinerary while in Spanish waters.

If you live outside the European Union (EU)*, some purchases may be eligible for a partial VAT refund. In order to obtain a VAT refund, you must request a claim form at the store at the time of purchase and you may need to provide your passport in order to obtain the form. For more information, please visit https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en.  

Should you have any additional questions, you may contact us directly at (866) 234-7350. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local information. 

We hope you have an incredible vacation and look forward to creating exciting memories together!

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line
I'm pretty sure that the Canary Islands are tax free area, so I assume that the VAT only applies in Malaga and Cadiz. Can anyone confirm if I'm correct in assuming that?

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

It’s a few years since I’ve done a Canary Islands cruise, but when I have the tax has only been charged when in Spanish ports.

I’ve never seen tax charged in the Canaries.

This was the case Keith on our cruise from Lisbon this March, Only charged the tax in Malaga and Cadiz.Canaries were not taxed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 2:30 PM, JeanKC said:

Arrived back from our cruise on the Viva from Lisbon to Rome on Saturday. We had 3 ports in Spain. We had a drinks package and were not charged tax on drinks in any ports. 

And we all wonder why we're confused regarding VAT in Europe. I wonder if you weren't charged, because your cruise started in Portugal?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

And we all wonder why we're confused regarding VAT in Europe. I wonder if you weren't charged, because your cruise started in Portugal?

I don't think so as the OP who shared the email they got about tax in Spain has their cruise starting in Lisbon too (we got no email before our cruise). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JeanKC said:

I don't think so as the OP who shared the email they got about tax in Spain has their cruise starting in Lisbon too (we got no email before our cruise). 

You're right! Oh well, so long as it's only in ports and not on the entire trip, I'll survive. 🤠

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, l0vesunshine50 said:

Why does it only seem to apply to NCL 

It doesn't.  I was just reading an article (different social media site) from a passenger talking about MSC charging him VAT on a Med Cruise last week.  Up to this point I believe MSC wasn't charging (also keep in mind how much more MSC charges for their beverage package).  IMO I think other cruise lines were absorbing, but as this goes on, if they haven't already, they'll start charging VAT.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Girr said:

It doesn't.  I was just reading an article (different social media site) from a passenger talking about MSC charging him VAT on a Med Cruise last week.  Up to this point I believe MSC wasn't charging (also keep in mind how much more MSC charges for their beverage package).  IMO I think other cruise lines were absorbing, but as this goes on, if they haven't already, they'll start charging VAT.

When bought as part of the cruise fare MSC drinks package can be very reasonable

The premium cost us £170 for a week this year and it is a proper package that includes most alcohol  water and coffees unlike the watered down NCL one.

On 9/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, Girr said:

I’ll be on MSC World Europa in less than 2 weeks, Barcelona to Barcelona, so I suppose I’ll find out if they’re charging VAT on drinks package drinks then.  The drinks package was included in the price of the cruise holiday, so not paid for separately.

Incidentally I wasn’t charged VAT on the NCL Getaway drinks package drinks 2 weeks ago with 5 Spanish ports 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1