First Cunard cruise questions

MrsPeel55

thanks 🙂  

this reminds me of something that has been in my mind 

I remember when I first joined the boards, someone suggested buying shares...

when you buy shares, do you buy exclusively Cunard or would that be Carnival shares?

1 minute ago, MrsPeel55 said:

thanks 🙂  

this reminds me of something that has been in my mind 

I remember when I first joined the boards, someone suggested buying shares...

when you buy shares, do you buy exclusively Cunard or would that be Carnival shares?

Carnival [CCL].

My shares have just about doubled and by next year, the initial outlay will have been  recouped.

Not that I'm smug, at all!!!!

Just bear in mind cost of shares to potential Carnival group future cruising.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Carnival [CCL].

My shares have just about doubled and by next year, the initial outlay will have been  recouped.

Not that I'm smug, at all!!!!

Just bear in mind cost of shares to potential Carnival group future cruising.

LOL (@ being smug)

not too long to go now, 3 weeks minus a day, 19 days, I think my daughter is counting in hours....

We are 85% sure Cunard is for us and that we will enjoy the week, but will wait until the trip is done or almost done to make a decision, we already have selected 5 Cunard's trips we would like to book, Really looking forward to our sailing ... first time in my life, since I was no longer a child) I have been excited about my birthday!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

LOL (@ being smug)

not too long to go now, 3 weeks minus a day, 19 days, I think my daughter is counting in hours....

We are 85% sure Cunard is for us and that we will enjoy the week, but will wait until the trip is done or almost done to make a decision, we already have selected 5 Cunard's trips we would like to book, Really looking forward to our sailing ... first time in my life, since I was no longer a child) I have been excited about my birthday!

Don’t forget if you book onboard you benefit from a reduced deposit currently £175pp and extra onboard credit. 

• Like 3

@Winifred 22 thanks!!!

Yes, indeed, that's why I said until is almost done....

it was part of the info you guys gave us when I first came to the boards asking about the cabin, I honestly couldn't be more grateful to many of you here, I got to know things that will make the trip more enjoyable 🙂 

We have a few options we want to go for, first two are Queen Mary TA crossing and then Bruges, we are finalising some enquiries about dates, if my daughter can't fit the TA because of work, I may venture on my own... am I right on thinking I have seen you posting about traveling solo?

I'm assuming you are female but my sister in law tells me they a male relative called Winifred...

would love to hear your experience, if so!

I would need to think it through as doing solo would mean going with my mobility scooter. It does fold with remote control to the size of a big suitcase, so I may just get away with not needing an accessible cabin.... it would also be the first trip on my own in almost 35 years, so need to think things through properly.

As I said, we are almost sure Cunard is the perfect choice for us, so very excited, not too long to do now 🙂

2 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@Winifred 22 thanks!!!

it was part of the info you guys gave us when I first came to the boards asking about the cabin, I honestly couldn't be more grateful to many of you here, I got to know things that will make the trip more enjoyable 🙂 

We have a few options we want to go for, first two are Queen Mary TA crossing and then Bruges, we are finalising some enquiries about dates, if my daughter can't fit the TA because of work, I may venture on my own... am I right on thinking I have seen you posting about traveling solo?

I'm assuming you are female but my sister in law tells me they a male relative called Winifred...

I would need to think it through as doing solo would mean going with my mobility scooter. It does fold with remote control to the size of a big suitcase, so I may just get away with not needing an accessible cabin.... it would also be the first trip on my own in almost 35 years, so need to think things through properly.

As I said, we are almost sure Cunard is the perfect choice for us, so very excited, not too long to do now 🙂

Yes I am female I am in my 60’s and usually always travel on my own unless I have my daughters with me once a year. I find Cunard the perfect fit for me. I am not particularly sociable and enjoy my own company so prefer a table for one on my own with fixed time late sitting. There is so much to do on a Cunard cruise. They do have solo meet ups daily but I have never been. I always feel safe and not out of place on my own. I have booked a few things for next year trying the solo cabins. The only downside is the solo premium. Cunard charge 175% for cabin which is better than Princess which is 200%. If that wasn’t so high I would be able to cruise more than I do . Why don’t you start with a 3 /4 nighter to see how you get on ? Everyone is very friendly onboard and I turn down more offers to join in with other people than I accept. I wouldn’t go into pubs and bars at home so don’t feel I am missing out here. I do go the Golden Lion most days for my lunch. Have a brilliant time and not long now for you.

• Like 3

@Winifred 22 thanks again 🙂

yes, I don't do pubs or bars at home either LOL

I do like meeting people but also love time on my own, more and more these days as my body refuses to cooperate much,  so I'm sure I can find balance...but wow with 175%... I found some offers with no solo extra pay, but in ships that I am totally sure are not a fit for me, will have my options ready for when we are on board, so we can book before with disembark 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

@Winifred 22 thanks!!!

If you take a mobile scooter I think you will have to book an accessible cabin.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

If you take a mobile scooter I think you will have to book an accessible cabin.

Correct MT

It doesn't matter how foldable a scooter is, they are only allowed in designated accessible cabins

This is common across all three ships.

Accessible Staterooms – These are the staterooms suitable for wheelchair and mobility scooters.

Non-accessible Staterooms – These are the staterooms suitable for part time wheelchair users who do not need their wheelchair to move around the cabin. Please note access to the ensuite is via a raised threshold and a step is required to enter the bath/shower. Please note that we are unable to accept mobility scooters in these staterooms, with the exception of selected suites and mini-suites.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the info, which we had read before making the booking and are aware of, now, be patient and hear me out:

I think those rules make sense for people who are 24/7 impaired mobility and would need to use it INSIDE de cabin, in this case the rule makes perfect sense, obviously, those non accessible cabins have no space for one to use it inside the cabin. 

This is not my case, though.

When we booked on the phone, direct with Cunard, the request for assistance came into the conversation (we are getting flights with Cunard, wanted to make sure the assistance we normally get will be in place) she asked if I am able to walk inside the cabin, explain about the steps, the balcony, etc.  When I explained it is only long distances I am unable to walk, she asked if we preferred an accessible cabin, we said no problem, no need. I can move around the cabin and at least one of my legs always work to take a step or two, then she asked (also question in the On Boards questionnaire that we filled in with thanks to @Victoria2 !!!)  we had to give the measurements of my wheelchair again, we gave it, all measurements of it open and also the sizes when folded. She explained that wheelchair has to stay in the cabin. even if folded, all was fine. Great, We booked.

The measurements of my scooter when closed are exactly the measurements we gave for my manual wheelchair , so, legally, they should not force a passenger to pay more for an accessible cabin when in the non accessible ones the measurements they accept are those of my mobility aid/scooter. It perfectly fits their own limits for non accessible staterooms.

I would like to make crystal clear (maybe because despite of 35 years in the country, my husband and my daughter both are British and I have been speaking English since I was 4, sometimes my almost 65 years old brain which is heavily medicated, cannot make the perfect grammatical composition and may lead to misunderstandings, especially online where you can't see my facial expressions or the ton of voice) that I would NEVER intend to book the cabin and turn up see if I "can just get away with it"  I would, of course, call them in advance and have a reasonable conversation, and again, they will decide, if is ok and they allow it, great, is ok

If their answer still will be a NO, if they still refuse (even though I reckon is lack of common sense and a bit discriminatory,  they may loosing more passengers) is ok too, is not like Cunard is my one and only option. 

And this all was about going SOLO

As a matter of fact, We still have a few weeks to embarkation day, as I explained in previous threads, we are 85% sure Cunard is for us, have a list of 5 cruises we would like to do, and, as booking on board comes with perks, would be great to do so, but wont book anything until the last couple of days on board when we know we would definitely wanna come back . We need to  sail in QueenVictoria, experience by ourselves first 🙂

have a great weekend!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Thank you all for the info, which we had read before making the booking and are aware of, now, be patient and hear me out:

I think those rules make sense for people who are 24/7 impaired mobility and would need to use it INSIDE de cabin, in this case the rule makes perfect sense, obviously, those non accessible cabins have no space for one to use it inside the cabin. 

This is not my case, though.

When we booked on the phone, direct with Cunard, the request for assistance came into the conversation (we are getting flights with Cunard, wanted to make sure the assistance we normally get will be in place) she asked if I am able to walk inside the cabin, explain about the steps, the balcony, etc.  When I explained it is only long distances I am unable to walk, she asked if we preferred an accessible cabin, we said no problem, no need. I can move around the cabin and at least one of my legs always work to take a step or two, then she asked (also question in the On Boards questionnaire that we filled in with thanks to @Victoria2 !!!)  we had to give the measurements of my wheelchair again, we gave it, all measurements of it open and also the sizes when folded. She explained that wheelchair has to stay in the cabin. even if folded, all was fine. Great, We booked.

The measurements of my scooter when closed are exactly the measurements we gave for my manual wheelchair , so, legally, they should not force a passenger to pay more for an accessible cabin when in the non accessible ones the measurements they accept are those of my mobility aid/scooter. It perfectly fits their own limits for non accessible staterooms.

I would like to make crystal clear (maybe because despite of 35 years in the country, my husband and my daughter both are British and I have been speaking English since I was 4, sometimes my almost 65 years old brain which is heavily medicated, cannot make the perfect grammatical composition and may lead to misunderstandings, especially online where you can't see my facial expressions or the ton of voice) that I would NEVER intend to book the cabin and turn up see if I "can just get away with it"  I would, of course, call them in advance and have a reasonable conversation, and again, they will decide, if is ok and they allow it, great, is ok

If their answer still will be a NO, if they still refuse (even though I reckon is lack of common sense and a bit discriminatory,  they may loosing more passengers) is ok too, is not like Cunard is my one and only option. 

And this all was about going SOLO

edit to add:  I can always find someone to go with me, if my daughter can't make it,I have friends, so if I am desperate to go for the TA QM2, I could... but I still think that if they allow the measurements for a wheelchair folded , and my scooter has those exact measurements, it would be really silly to refuse.

As a matter of fact, We still have a few weeks to embarkation day, as I explained in previous threads, we are 85% sure Cunard is for us, have a list of 5 cruises we would like to do, and, as booking on board comes with perks, would be great to do so, but wont book anything until the last couple of days on board when we know we would definitely wanna come back . We need to  sail in QueenVictoria, experience by ourselves first 🙂

have a great weekend!

20 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

apologies I tried to edit and posted twice, the second post has the edit to add

Ha. Welcome to my world!!!!🙂

I am in complete agreement with you re small foldable scooters which fold up and can sit neatly in a wardrobe or in a corner or even in a suitcase and I know you will be precise with measurements and the nature of the beast. However, not everyone will be as honest and there will be some who try and beat the system.

There will be those who won't bother reading door widths and in the past, have 'stored' their scooters in the corridors or have narrow scooters but which take up so much room, they are obstacles in the cabin.

The desk staff do not have the time to verify scooter measurements at check in or possibly have the knowledge to  sort the wheat from the chaff and to avoid declining permission to board, the blanket decision is, no scooter in non designated cabins. It spoils it for those such as yourself but I can understand the reasoning behind the ruling.

edit

if you wish to cruise solo and from Southampton return, have a think about hiring an electric wheelchair which folds. They are allowed in any cab9n.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

My worry is that when you booked direct with Cunard you were obviously honest and told them everything. But with recent history of Cunard Customer Services you could phone again tomorrow speak to a different representative and get a totally different answer. I hope what they told you that you have it in writing and that you will be able to take your mobile scooter and hope you have a great cruise.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

My worry is that when you booked direct with Cunard you were obviously honest and told them everything. But with recent history of Cunard Customer Services you could phone again tomorrow speak to a different representative and get a totally different answer. I hope what they told you that you have it in writing and that you will be able to take your mobile scooter and hope you have a great cruise.

Unless I've misread it, I think it's the wheelchair which will be going and not a scooter

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It does.

But read #13.

Let's just hope she is taking a wheelchair then not a mobile scooter has she seems to have both. Hope Cunard have got the correct facts or I could fear the worst if she tells them she is taking a mobile scooter into an ordinary stateroom.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Let's just hope she is taking a wheelchair then not a mobile scooter has she seems to have both. Hope Cunard have got the correct facts or I could fear the worst if she tells them she is taking a mobile scooter into an ordinary stateroom.

MT

You are concerning yourself over nothing. Cunard and Mrs Peel know what what on this cruise.

• Like 1

see what the issue here is with moving threads?

@majortom10 my upcoming sailing  is in September and in 80% of the posts I made, I explained very VERY clearly that I have a manual wheelchair which MY DAUGHTER PUSHES,

I even made comments about our June land holiday in Seville for a week and how she pushed me every day.

The scooter thing was in the fact talking about future SOLO sailings, if we actually confirm that we want to keep sailing with Cunard  after this one, I thought about doing TA crossing on my own, because she is 27, when we go to the US we have lots of family and friends and would mean staying for a period of time that she can't take off from work. 

I asked Winnifred22 about her experiences traveling solo as a female as I have seen many males traveling solo (posting in this Cunard board ) and wanted a bit of feed back from the female point of view. Then  3rdGenerationCunarder very kindly showed me a thread in  HAL about people traveling solo which was very informative. The wheelchair I have is a transit wheelchair, meaning is one with 4 little wheels, I cannot use it on my own. 

The mobility scooter is something a friend of ours built especially for me, I am a very, very tiny woman, my weight fluctuates from 48 to 52 kilos but stable most of the time at 50kg, The battery is detachable and it closes to the size of a 23kg suitcase. Is permitted in flights with the major airlines, I only use it when I am alone, which is not often.

I honestly doubt that Cunard employees tell you one thing and then another tells you something else,  it has not been our experience, we have spoken to many and the info they actually give has been consistent. 

The same measurements the girl on the phone asked us for (my daughter went to measure whilst I was with her on the phone) where exactly the same as the ones in the On Boards Needs questionnaire which she never told us about, I got it from Victoria2. The information was exactly the same the girl had given us.

Just in case you are wondering, (this is something I only disclose when I had a glass of wine or two, which I did after I fell twice in my kitchen earlier on, because of my own stupidity) my reluctance to pay for a more expensive cabin (which the accessible ones are) is because my husband was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a wonderful, very, very active, a stuntman in the 80s and 90s here in the UK (in case someone has not read my posts before, he is British as is my daughter who was born in the UK and lives with me) After a few years he was diagnosed with Dementia, my in laws helped minimally, my family travel from overseas (both from South and North America) as much as they could, my family and friends in Spain would also come often when things got a bit too much, got to a point in which we had to move him to a facility,  I'm the one who pays for it,  plus I have paid for my daughter's excellent education, she has 2 degrees, is an exemplary girl who speaks, reads & writes 3 languages, has a wonderful job, I intend to carry on spending my money in a down to earth way.

I know there are people who abuse the system, every country has them, every industry has them.

I am not one of them.

Last but not least, If I was to ask about the mobility scooter and they approve it, I would ask for it in writing, if they say no, its no and I would go looking for another cruise line, once again, do not worry, Cunard is most definitely not our only choice.

I hope this will end the discussion.

• Like 2