Any changes to Seabourn post COVID?

midwife

We are fans of Seabourn having done 4 cruises pre COVID. We have now booked our first post COVID Seabourn cruise for early 2024. 

Our question is: what changes have you seen to service, food or ships since COVID? 

While some have complained about a decline, we have seen very little difference on our 3 post COVID cruises (currently on a 32 day Quest cruise).  One noticeable difference is that the Senior officers are no longer hosting tables in the Restaurant and significantly reduced their interaction with passengers.

No question, that post COVID has meant losing many experienced crew and replacing them with new folks who sometimes lack the experience and polish of the old guard.  That being said, some of the new crew are fantastic and others are quickly improving from day to day.   

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

While some have complained about a decline, we have seen very little difference on our 3 post COVID cruises (currently on a 32 day Quest cruise).  One noticeable difference is that the Senior officers are no longer hosting tables in the Restaurant and significantly reduced their interaction with passengers.

No question, that post COVID has meant losing many experienced crew and replacing them with new folks who sometimes lack the experience and polish of the old guard.  That being said, some of the new crew are fantastic and others are quickly improving from day to day.   

Hank

I would agree that not much has changed.  And I say that positively - as enjoyable post covid as before.  

But I can tell you we enjoyed three hosted table on our cruise in Canada in October of 2022.  Two with lecturers and one with the Human Resources Officer.  And I look forward to more on our upcoming cruises.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, midwife said:

We are fans of Seabourn having done 4 cruises pre COVID. We have now booked our first post COVID Seabourn cruise for early 2024. 

Our question is: what changes have you seen to service, food or ships since COVID? 

We have only taken one cruise post Covid--it was in June--the coast of Norway on Ovation.  I have to say that in some ways, it was one of our best cruises ever.  We were fortunate to experience impeccable service in every venue with excellent crew members.  Perhaps we were just exceptionally fortunate.  It is hard to tell.  I did feel (and this is very subjective) that the food in the Restaurant in the evenings was not as good as before.  Others may disagree.  We never do the buffet in the Colonnade, so I can't comment on that.  We were very fortunate that the Restaurant was open every day for breakfast and for lunch--and we thoroughly enjoyed both and have no complaints.  We loved Earth and Oceans.  The excursions were ok (not outstanding) and the buses could be crowded.  We did see a lot and loved everything we saw--so I don't really have any complaints there either.  We never saw the Captain or many of the other officers--which is a change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JPH814 said:

I would agree that not much has changed.  And I say that positively - as enjoyable post covid as before.  

But I can tell you we enjoyed three hosted table on our cruise in Canada in October of 2022.  Two with lecturers and one with the Human Resources Officer.  And I look forward to more on our upcoming cruises.  

We have enjoyed 4 hosted tables on this cruise with entertainers and the cruise director. The Hotel Manager has also hosted some tables and been very accessible as has the Doctor..  But the marine officers (Capt, Staff Capt, Chief Engineer, etc.) have been notable for their absence from the Restaurant and TK Grill.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

As for accessibility of the senior officers, on Odyssey, this week they have had a number of coffee with the officers events in the Square and the captain (Tim Roberts) and his senior team have attended all.  Haven’t noticed him in the dining room, but that may well be a difference of schedule preference.

Captain is out and about all day, he is quite visible and easily approached.  

Edited by jondfk
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

No problem with senior officers on Encore this last two weeks.

All evident and accessible.

I think our captain's only rudimentary English kept him from meeting and greeting as much as many.  No criticism here--just an observation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did a post covid cruise on the Ovation Oct 2021 and noticed the decline of service with a lot of inexperience crew members. A slight drop in food quality but it was the drop in service that was very noticeable. Totally understandable since it was one of the first cruises resuming after covid. 

Very interested to find out if everything has improved. Looking forward to our Encore cruise in Feb 2024 Asia cruise. I heard welcome gift of soaps is scraped. Are they still giving out the tote bags? We got one in 2021.

Edited by Westiesheepie
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Westiesheepie said:

We did a post covid cruise on the Ovation Oct 2021 and noticed the decline of service with a lot of inexperience crew members. A slight drop in food quality but it was the drop in service that was very noticeable. Totally understandable since it was one of the first cruises resuming after covid. 

Very interested to find out if everything has improved. Looking forward to our Encore cruise in Feb 2024 Asia cruise. I heard welcome gift of soaps is scraped. Are they still giving out the tote bags? We got one in 2021.

We were not given a tote back in June 2023, but I have read that they have been given out on some cruises.  Fortunately, I have a few of them at home and will tuck one into my luggage next time.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Westiesheepie said:

Just got off Encore.

Some slight service issues but because of new crew being trained.

Don't forget I'm fussy and used to excellent service,so some guests might not notice.

Still a few old guard on board.

Soaps are gone but I had four different large Molton Brown body washes and the Seabourn only fragrance  Molton Brown shampoo,body wash,conditioner and body lotion.

Tote bags if you want them.

I have my own bag that I use when I travel.

Very good man and lady looking after the suite and laundry sent out every day and returned the next day.

No Evian which is not good for me as that is the only water I ever drink.

There was a Greek still water in a glass bottle with a screw cap which kept me hydrated.

The ship water in refillable bottles was horrid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had not cruised until recently on Ovation (since hubby was Patient Zero on “C”Ovation 2021-2022 Holiday cruise). I found this cruise on par with pre-Covid standards. Only hiccup was Colonnade for b’fast due possibly to understaffing and/or new crew - tables took long to clean and service a bit slow.  Food was wonderful at lunch and dinner.  Can’t fairly assess b’fast food as I only have egg white omelet for b’fast and don’t “dine” that meal as I want to get out and about. Had wonderful cruise. Then again, we don’t compare to what is was 20 years ago as we are just grateful to be able to continue on SB and look only at the positives. Do miss many things, but can’t look back - only forward, and so looking forward to Venture in November.

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the Quest in Montreal, starting Day 25/36. 

The food has been hit-or-miss and most nights, the options in the MDR don't reach that level of fabulousness I recall pre-Covid.  The offerings in the warming pans in the Colonnade at lunch have not been particularly attractively displayed and reminded me of college cafeteria fare.  At one lunch, the newly-put-out pot stickers were frozen inside. As an aside, we love the freshly squeezed OJ machine. 

The crew is very warm and welcoming, but service is not up to pre-Covid standards.  One night our group waited 45 minutes for a drink in the O Bar. Another time, it took 30 minutes for an omelet to arrive.

The room attendants are terrific.

The excursions are pretty crowded, not like in pre-Covid days when there might be 12 people on a bus. They are also crazily expensive, but that's a different issue.

The officers, including the Captain, have been highly visible and approachable.

Over all, we are having a great time, but things are simply not up to pre-covid standards.

Linda

• Thanks 1

One thing that is “back to pre-Covid” times is that Seabourn does not care if you board with an illness or not.  We were about to join Ovation in a couple of days and one of us got Covid; Seabourn’s position was indifferent as to whether we should still join the sailing.  We cancelled (of course) but was shocked that it would have been fine by Seabourn for us to join while one of us is still testing positive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

One thing that is “back to pre-Covid” times is that Seabourn does not care if you board with an illness or not.  We were about to join Ovation in a couple of days and one of us got Covid; Seabourn’s position was indifferent as to whether we should still join the sailing.  We cancelled (of course) but was shocked that it would have been fine by Seabourn for us to join while one of us is still testing positive.  

Wow. Not sure how that makes much sense in their response, but way to go in yours. Class act! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Thank you for making the tough decision to cancel— I wish Seabourn was as responsible in dealing with this as you were. They shouldn’t be welcoming transmissible disease into a contained space.  We certainly appreciate your decency!

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the good wishes; recovery progressing very well!  I find it hard to imagine anyone else making a different decision, though I know it happens.  

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

Given the circumstances, were you given a full refund, a FCC, or were you able to get compensated by insurance? 

Just happened this week for a departure on Sunday from Reykjavik on Ovation, so all a work in progress. I first called Seabourn directly to find out what to do; was given completely wrong information of how I’d have to use Verifly (that they dropped months ago) and other aspects.  My travel agent followed up, and was told that there are no restrictions in place, and no refund or FCC would be issued.  We could cancel on our own behalf, but we would be okay to board according to Seabourn (that’s why I would say they were indifferent).  We’re pursuing the insurance route, so fingers crossed.  We’ve got other cruises this year on Seabourn and Explora, so we’ll be making up for this with those.  

Edited by johng75370

9 hours ago, johng75370 said:

If you had boarded then one of you would have been quarantined and the other offered another suite if there was a spare one or both quarantined if there was not one available.

You would have had a bench placed outside the suite for staff to deliver food to your suite.

You did the right thing to cancel.

We did 6 weeks in March/April on Sojourn and the 6 of us remarked it was far better than pre-COVID. The food was excellent and varied (TK was still…TK - doesn’t rate with us), service was very good.

COVID was on the ship and himself caught it, self tested and stayed indoors for 7 days with no symptoms. About 12 affected cabins at its height. It was dealt with well and quickly fizzled out. A week in your room on a 6 week cruise while a nuisance was fine. He was treated like a king! Same on a 14 day would be very disappointing. I can understand Seabourn’s nonchalance, but don’t condone it. I applaud your very difficult decision.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, whirldcruzrs said:

@whystayhome could it be that Quest is having problems that Ovation is not?  Friends who sailed Ovation recently do not have the complaints you report.  Sorry your experience as you reported.

We are not suffering, that’s for sure! This is a terrific cruise and very interesting itinerary (Dover-Manhattan). I would typically be considered a Seabourn cheerleader by my friends, but this has not been one of their finest outings in terms of food or service.  The entertainment has been sort of repetitive, although the singers are excellent.

We had a fantastic Q&A with the officers - Captain, Hotel Director, and Chief Engineer - and they alluded to the staffing difficulties they are having, both quantity and quality.  Hotel Director Klaus, who is extremely personable and highly visible talked about how they keep training, training, training…

As an aside, when we were on one of the big ships last summer, early post-Covid, these issues were not prominent.

Also, a new executive chef boarded in Montreal, so we shall see if there’s any difference.

Linda

• Like 1