Has Anyone Done a NEXUS Interview at Montreal Airport?

Ferry_Watcher

We have been approved for a NEXUS interview, and will be returning back to the US after our NE/Canada cruise.  We are looking into doing the interview while at the airport in Montreal.  Wondering if any fellow CCer has had experience with the interview process before flying back to the US.

@sparks1093, any experience with this?

We've never applied for NEXUS so I couldn't say. The only advice that I could offer would be to allow ample time before the flight. We've looked into it but we don't enter Canada/return to the US often enough to warrant applying for it. (Our ports of entry round these parts consist of a single lane so there wouldn't be a "priority lane" and unless we are unlucky enough to arrive when a lot of other people do we are generally the only ones there anyway.)

There have been lots of posts by Canadians who have had or are considering having their interview in the US, but you are the first American I've seen wanting to be interviewed in Canada. As long as you can schedule it that day in sufficient time prior to your departure, I can't see any reason why it should't work. Good luck! 

On 8/21/2023 at 6:45 AM, sparks1093 said:

We've looked into it but we don't enter Canada/return to the US often enough to warrant applying for it.

One reason for applying for Nexus is that it includes Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, but costs less than Global Entry. It does mean that you need to be approved by 2 different agencies, which complicates the approval process, but there is an advantage.

13 hours ago, gnome12 said:

One reason for applying for Nexus is that it includes Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, but costs less than Global Entry. It does mean that you need to be approved by 2 different agencies, which complicates the approval process, but there is an advantage.

All true indeed, but as I said we don't travel often enough to truly benefit from having it. We are flying domestically more frequently now so TSA pre-check is something we've obtained, but I get that paid for by my employer. If I lived near busier port of entries and we went up to Canada more often than we do then that would be a factor, of course. (Canada is only 8 miles from the end of my driveway, but traveling there isn't a routine thing for us and as I said there usually isn't a line when we do cross.)

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All true indeed, but as I said we don't travel often enough to truly benefit from having it. We are flying domestically more frequently now so TSA pre-check is something we've obtained, but I get that paid for by my employer. If I lived near busier port of entries and we went up to Canada more often than we do then that would be a factor, of course. (Canada is only 8 miles from the end of my driveway, but traveling there isn't a routine thing for us and as I said there usually isn't a line when we do cross.)

You might want to see if your employer is willing to pay for NEXUS. It's cheaper ($50 USD vs $78 USD) and include a greater range of benefits, including TSA PreCheck. I've never understood why someone would get TSA PreCheck alone when they can get it included with the cheaper NEXUS package.

On 8/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

We have been approved for a NEXUS interview, and will be returning back to the US after our NE/Canada cruise.  We are looking into doing the interview while at the airport in Montreal.  Wondering if any fellow CCer has had experience with the interview process before flying back to the US.

While I didn't do my interview at YUL, this context may be helpful. The NEXUS interviews at Canadian airports are a two-part process now.

The first is an interview with Canadian agents. You need to have an appointment for this one, walk-ins are generally not accepted. You do not have to have a same-day flight.

The second is the interview with US agents. This one must be completed after the Canadian interview (doesn't have to be same day), is only available by walk-in, and must be done prior to a same-day flight to the United States as it occurs inside the pre-clearance area of the airport. 

If you can get an appointment at YUL for the first interview, and leave enough time to clear the second interview before your flight, you can conceivably clear the entire process in the same day. Appointment availability is the key limitation here.

Edited by cmich068

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

You might want to see if your employer is willing to pay for NEXUS. It's cheaper ($50 USD vs $78 USD) and include a greater range of benefits, including TSA PreCheck. I've never understood why someone would get TSA PreCheck alone when they can get it included with the cheaper NEXUS package.

Wishful thinking but I'm glad to get what I do what I get.