Westerdam Deck 4 Aft Severe Vibration

BigMattT

We’re seasoned cruisers and travel with earplugs, but the shaking and deep bass vibrating noise is so bad in this aft-facing Westerdam cabin on deck 4 that we can’t sleep… we’re easy going folks, but honestly it’s unpleasant to even be in the cabin with this shaking.

After dinner, we reported it to guest services, and the rep accompanied us back to the cabin.. but of course the ship slowed down to about 14 knotts by the time we got back to the cabin, and the vibration had completely stopped. We said we would see what happened tonight… but sadly here we are… and it’s relentless at this high speed. This is unlike any cabin vibration I’ve ever experienced. (Not our first time in a deck 4 aft cabin.)

Any suggestions out there how to handle this or what/who to ask?

A really unfortunate start to a vacation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigMattT said:

We’re seasoned cruisers and travel with earplugs, but the shaking and deep bass vibrating noise is so bad in this aft-facing Westerdam cabin on deck 4 that we can’t sleep… we’re easy going folks, but honestly it’s unpleasant to even be in the cabin with this shaking.

After dinner, we reported it to guest services, and the rep accompanied us back to the cabin.. but of course the ship slowed down to about 14 knotts by the time we got back to the cabin, and the vibration had completely stopped. We said we would see what happened tonight… but sadly here we are… and it’s relentless at this high speed. This is unlike any cabin vibration I’ve ever experienced. (Not our first time in a deck 4 aft cabin.)

Any suggestions out there how to handle this or what/who to ask?

A really unfortunate start to a vacation.

Ask if there is a cabin they can move you to.  We had a noise issue of being under the Lido in Europe a few years ago and I mentioned it to an officer I saw in the Lido.  He expedited my issue and we were given the option to move to another cabin.  On Alaska cruises the part of the itinerary in and out of Seattle can have rough seas, also sailing across the Gulf of Alaska, otherwise with normal weather your seas should be calmer and the ship sailing slower for scenic cruising.

I agree, ask to be moved. And since you've started a record of complaint, call Guest Services if it happens again and ask someone to go to your cabin then to hear it at its worst, not at a time when it isn't bad. 

This is surprising. I've been as low as 5 in an aft cabin on various Vistas, including Westerdam, and not had vibration issues. I hope it isn't a sign of something wrong with the ship. 

• Like 2

Aft cabins (which we avoid like the plague) are relatively close to the props.  On many ships there are speeds that can cause a cavitation issue as the props move water against the hull. That cavitation can create a vibration and shimmy which is annoying and sometimes noisy.  There are some professional mariners on CC who can speak to the issue, but we once had a well known marine architect explain the problem and the steps his firm took to try and prevent the harmonic issues. Quite interesting.  

Hank

• Like 1

We got off Westerdam in June to Alaska I had a Neptune deck 5 aft, on the first two nights going from Seattle to Juneau the vibration and noise was really bad, my husband said as soon as we reach Juneau it will stop as the speed he was traveling was high. Sure enough we reached Juneau and no more noise. Even coming back to Seattle. There was some noise but not bad at all. I know what noise you are talking about. If you can stick it out until you are just at cruising speed you will be glad you stayed aft. 

• Like 2

In all honesty the Vista Class ships have always had a noise and vibration on the very aft. If one sat in the very back of the dining room near the windows on the first night the table just shakes. That has always been something that was there with that class of ship. Personally my husband and I do not mind it and have been in that corner aft 5191 more times than I have fingers to count on and we just know to expect it.

Sadly as far as moving staterooms, this is peak Alaska Season, there are no cabins to move people to unless there were last minute cancellations that were not offered for Up Sell.

As other have said after tonight, it will be smooth sailing and it will not be bad at all. 

Enjoy the Westerdam and Alaska!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your tips.

Guest services was fantastic this morning, and thankfully were able to move us to another cabin.

This morning at breakfast, we happened to be seated at the aft facing window directly under where our original cabin was… and it was amazing how focused the vibration was at that specific table vs slightly port/star, or even forward two tables. Jurassic Park ripples in our orange juice, lid of the metal coffee pot bouncing and clanging.

Harmonics are wild.

For privacy reasons, I’ll wait until we disembark to post the cabin number, but I’d definitely recommend avoiding it. There was barely a hesitation from Guest Services about it, and there was extra foam inserted around some surfaces and such… so clearly this isn’t the first time there’s been an issue with this cabin.

Sad to lose the aft view, but elated how well they handled this. Bravo HAL.

(Service has been exemplary overall, as well.)

Onward to Juneau!

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Crusin-Suzan said:

We are booked aft 5 for 28 day Alaska cruise next year!  We are pretty sound sleepers so hope this is not a problem 

I’m booked on an aft 5th as well for 2024.  My TA said I would love it.

I find @LAFFNVEGAS‘s posts reliable so I’m not going to stress about it.  I’m not on the same ship but the Oosterdam is a vista ship - the same.

• Like 1

Speed can really translate into vibrations - poor old, dear Maasdam simply could not go more than 20 knots or else the whole thing would be shaking and vibrating.

Which is not to say it did go over 20 knots, when required. Life at sea.

• Like 1

As promised, the problem cabin was: 4183. I am disappointed HAL is continuing to sell this cabin.

Very grateful for HAL changing us to another cabin (5150), which was super quiet.

The issue with such severe vibration at high speeds on Westerdam makes us unlikely to sail again on a Vista class ship. Even in the dining room; it was shockingly loud/jarring.

There were also plumbing issues in both cabins: very slow shower drain and toilet that wouldn’t flush in first cabin, and low cold water pressure and again a toilet that wouldn’t flush in the second cabin. She’s an old ship, so I understand that happens on occasion… but 5 out of 7 days isn’t really reasonable.