Viking Air questions

cgc33abc

First time on Viking,  questions on Viking Air:

1.  They booked my flights, but the return is not a good time for me (way too early in the AM, so much for calling it a 15 day cruise, hardly a 14 night cruise when you won't get any sleep b/c you have to leave so early!).  So looking at my options for "change my flight".... All are an extra charge, I don't see anything that doesn't cost extra.  You would think there would be something (even if not acceptable also). Is this typical?  do they ever offer something the same "price"?

2. I want to upgrade now to premium economy since the bad flight is on a budget airline (Eurowings) and they don't offer Premium Economy (but they do offer a few seats in "business class"... Would Viking think this is Premium Economy?  I really dont want to use this airline if I can avoid it.  A coworker just got back from Germany on it and her opinion of it, not so good...

3.  If I have to leave in the middle of the night to catch an early flight, what breakfast options do I have?  Room service?  a bag "lunch" to go?  nothing?

TIA...

1. I have researched "change my flight" several times and there has always been an additional charge ... sometimes fairly nominal but always a charge.  There may be some other options for you but it will largely depend on the contracts that Viking has with the various carriers.  This confounds things considerably.

2.  We have upgraded to premium economy "after the fact" a few times through Viking and again it all depends on the carriers they have contracts with and whether those contracts include premium economy.  I would guess (and it's only a guess) that "business class" on Eurowings would not be considered "premium economy".  

3.  We have left in the "wee hours" many times and really don't hate it.  We are fortunate to live in the Chicago area so it generally means that we get home (as in our last stop) at a reasonable time.  On our last trip we left our hotel in Amsterdam at 3:00 AM (we were on an extension) which was not fun, but got home to Chicago at 1:30 in the afternoon!  Nice to drive home in daylight!  At any rate you will get a "bag or box breakfast" to go ... or you can order room service if you are on an ocean ship and want to eat before you leave the ship.  They also sometimes have a continental breakfast set up in the living room (on the ocean ships) as, trust me, you will not be alone when you leave early.

Sounds like your best bet is to call Viking Air and have a discussion.  Might cost you for Air + but might be worth it as you may have more choices.

I agree, call Viking Air plus. There is a charge, about $100-150 pp for Air plus. We’ve had it, selected flights, then found better options on our own. All Viking air fees were refunded promptly, as we were outside of the 121 day mark and flights had not been ticketed. Don’t delay, as once the flights are ticketed no changes allowed without big fees.
BTW, once you get Viking Air flights you like, request that they be ticketed. You may get push back from Viking if it’s early, but they will ticket the flights for you around 100-120 days out. Then I only deal with the actual airline for any issues or upgrades if available. 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TANSTAAFL - If Viking air seems cost competitive, it's because compromises are being made in the name of reducing cost. That includes a limited number of carriers with whom Viking has contracted to get better pricing, and quite likely an agreement to book on lower cost (lower occupancy) flights as it's good for the air carrier too.

If you want more choices or more control you'll pay extra for it.

• Like 1

Is it correct that Viking Air Plus fees are Ed under if you end up not booking with them pre-121 days? The last time I asked in 2022 for a July 2023 cruise the Air Plus agent said the fees would not be refunded if we chose not to book with them. 

1 hour ago, CDR2001 said:

BTW, once you get Viking Air flights you like, request that they be ticketed. You may get push back from Viking if it’s early, but they will ticket the flights for you around 100-120 days out.

You mentioned dealing with the airline direct over any issues as a reason for early ticketing.  But if you're happy with your flight and seats, any other reason to ticket early?

18 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Is it correct that Viking Air Plus fees are Ed under if you end up not booking with them pre-121 days? The last time I asked in 2022 for a July 2023 cruise the Air Plus agent said the fees would not be refunded if we chose not to book with them. 

I had air plus and then canceled air since I found better options on my own. When I called to cancel, the Viking agent said air plus would not be refunded, but when I got my invoice back everything under air was refunded including air plus

27 minutes ago, Mitina said:

You mentioned dealing with the airline direct over any issues as a reason for early ticketing.  But if you're happy with your flight and seats, any other reason to ticket early?

I like early ticketing because I have control to upgrade seats. We usually use Delta and I can upgrade with miles or money. Viking only allows upgrades at their rates, I’ve found it best through the airline. Once a friend had a complete change of airline with Viking Air. If you’re ticketed, any changes will be on the ticketed airline, not to a new carrier. I do expect changes, and check the airline website daily….yes a bit compulsive! We use Viking Air plus when it’s a really good deal. Otherwise we book for ourselves. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cgc33abc said:

I want to upgrade now to the premium economy since the bad flight is on a budget airline (Eurowings) and they don't offer Premium Economy (but they do offer a few seats in "business class"... Would Viking think this is Premium Economy?  I really dont want to use this airline if I can avoid it.  A coworker just got back from Germany on it and her opinion of it, not so good...

Be aware that business class within Europe (even on the top tier airlines like Lufthansa, KLM, BA, etc.) just means that you will be in an economy seat with an empty middle seat that has a table over the seats. It is NOT business or First as we are used to on domestic airlines here in the US. Business in Europe is not worth an extra cent. I would rather have an exit row in economy. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mitina said:

But if you're happy with your flight and seats, any other reason to ticket early?

Yes, because they can change your flight/seat and you have no recourse.  Of course they can change your flight anytime, even if ticketed, but at least you can argue with the airline about connection times, etc.  And they're way less likely to change your seats if ticketed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eurowings is awful.  They gave away our reserved seats on the aisle across from each other.  Instead we got the middle of 4 seats. The legroom was very tight. I am short.  Eurowings gave new meaning to feeling like being in a sardine can.  

Our previous Viking experience was on a river cruise that we paid in full for more than 3 years before we took the cruise due to Covid cancellations on their part. We had paid for the 2 room Veranda Suite on deck 3, and the Viking Air Plus with a Business Class upgrade from MIA to Amsterdam and Prague to MIA after a 3 night post with a Premium hotel upgrade in Prague after our cruise ended in Budapest.

The only problem we had was with the Viking Air Plus. They booked us on Delta from Miami to Atlanta to Amsterdam in Business class. There was only 90 minutes between arriving in Atlanta, and leaving for Amsterdam. We complained at least 3 times that the connection would not work, and Viking said "no problem". Shortly before the trip, the connection was down to 75 minutes, and we asked Viking for a change. They said no, since Delta still said there would not be a problem. It was an early morning flight, and we stayed at the hotel in MIA, but the flight from ATL to MIA was late arriving, and there were many  people who brought their luggage to the gate and gate checked it. From our window near the front of the plane (which was not worthy or business class, but was called first class on this flight), I could see that there was 1 elderly man moving 1 bag at a time from the gate checked baggage pile to the escalator to the baggage hold. I knew we were doomed on our connection.

We arrived with just over 30 minutes to make our Amsterdam flight at the opposite end of the airport, and our flight attendant told us to run for it. There was 1 other passenger who was headed for the same flight, and the 3 of us were the first to exit onto the jetway. As we got to the door into the terminal, a  Delta employee closed the door in front of us. We knocked and called out, and she looked around, and after 3 or 4 minutes she opened the door with no explanation. The 3 of us ran, and made it just in time to see them lock the door 2 minutes early for our flight. They had given our business class seats away, and didn't want to face the consequences. Coincidentally, 3 seats in Premium economy (Delta One?) had opened up on the next flight. There was only 1 business class seat on the next flight, and we were OK with letting the business man taking it instead of 1 of us. He was already going to be late for his business meeting in Amsterdam. The Delta lounge didn't want to let us in since our "new" flight wasn't in business class. We showed them our previous boarding passes and they gave in. The lounge was the worst we've ever experience. Delta One was terrible with seats smaller than Jet Blue "even more space". The cruise was fine, and our flight home on BA and American was very good. But we had trouble getting our money back from Delta since we didn't get the business class that we paid for. Delta told us they had refunded the money to Viking, but it took a while and a number of calls before they gave us a few hundred dollars back.

We have our first Viking Ocean cruise coming up in December. We booked our own business class flights. On our other booked cruises, we still attempt to book business class through the cruise line, but we tell them that any flight on Delta, or through Atlanta is not acceptable.

This wasn't our first problem with Delta not allowing enough time between flights. We had complained about the flight from FLL to ATL to Vancouver with only 30 minutes in between. When we boarded,  I asked our flight attendant if we would make it. She said she was sure we would since the entire crew would be on the same connecting flight. And we did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

The only problem we had was with the Viking Air Plus. They booked us on Delta from Miami to Atlanta to Amsterdam in Business class. There was only 90 minutes between arriving in Atlanta, and leaving for Amsterdam. We complained at least 3 times that the connection would not work, and Viking said "no problem". Shortly before the trip, the connection was down to 75 minutes, and we asked Viking for a change. They said no, since Delta still said there would not be a problem.

Some questions come to mind:

(1)   Why did you decide to go with Viking Air Plus rather than booking flights on your own?

(2)   Either through Viking or on your own, did you identify other flight routes and times that would have allowed a longer connection than 75 minutes?

(3)   If you were sufficiently concerned to complain three times about the connection time, why didn't you pass on Viking Air Plus and look at other flight alternatives?

• Like 1