Any "generic" production shows? (Encore)

skittl1321

So, it seems that the only production show on Encore is Choir of Man; it looks like they used to have Kinky Boots but it was cancelled.

Are there any other large shows that are just "cruise ship entertainment"? Or is choir of man the only production show, and everything else is just small venue entertainment? (I know there is the Beatles thing too, but in a small venue.)

I just want to see some singing and dancing, doesn't need to be broadway...   

• Like 1

Rumour is they’re cutting back on the big production shows as a cost saver. The Beatles cover band  may play in the theatre on one night if their normal venue doesn’t have sufficient  capacity for the demand and maybe a couple of other solo performers will be in the theatre too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the Encore a week ago and can say that there is no other big production shows on board other than Choir of Man. There is the Beatles cover band as mentioned already, but also a broadway singer named Anthony Nunnziata. He was good, but I don't think his show or the BEatles band counts as a production show. It sucks that they got rid of Kinky Boots and didn't find anything worthwhile to replace it with, and still charge the same for the cruise. I've never expected full broadway level shows on a cruise ship, but the fact that NCL did have them was a big plus in my book. I also understand them cutting back, they can't be cheap, BUT this is your biggest ship! I'd imagine they'd want to make a statement with this many people on board. At least replace it with something, anything. Even a generic one is fine.

Agree. I’m booked on the Encore for an upcoming cruise and rather shocked at the lack of entertainment. Doesn’t even sound like they have entertainers coming in for one offs in the theater like other lines. So many passengers and so many small venue, repetitive shows (comedy 🥱). Looking forward to Choir of Man but…🫤

4 minutes ago, durberville said:

Agree. I’m booked on the Encore for an upcoming cruise and rather shocked at the lack of entertainment. Doesn’t even sound like they have entertainers coming in for one offs in the theater like other lines. So many passengers and so many small venue, repetitive shows (comedy 🥱). Looking forward to Choir of Man but…🫤

This is a big concern for me too for our upcoming cruise. I’m also not looking forward to having to make reservations for entertainment.

• Like 1

From what I remeber when the announcements of shows being canceled or not renewed, there would be NEW production shows coming on board after the 1st of the year.  Sounded like "inhouse" like the "Jewel" class ships or maybe something like the Jean Ann Ryan productions.

• Like 1

Forgot to Quote:

From what I remeber when the announcements of bshows being canceled or not renewed, there would be NEW rproduction shows coming on board after the 1st of the year.  Sounded like "inhouse" like the "Jewel" class ships or maybe something like the Jean Ann Ryan productions.

New productions are supposedly “in development” but I’m not aware of any announcements or details as to what will replace the current/past shows or when. Color me very skeptical.

Edited by cxc362
Forgotten Quote
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:53 AM, cxc362 said:

This is a big concern for me too for our upcoming cruise. I’m also not looking forward to having to make reservations for entertainment.

Making reservations for shows on big ships is common across the cruise industry. It is not an NCL thing. If you were on Royal bigger ships, you should have to reserve theater shows, ice chows, aqua shows. It is all about crowd control. The theater on the Encore holds just shy of 900 people. We sailed with 4260 last week. You can't have all 4260 show up on the last day last show and be disappointed that they didn't get one of the 900 seats. 

22 hours ago, cxc362 said:

Forgot to Quote:

From what I remeber when the announcements of bshows being canceled or not renewed, there would be NEW rproduction shows coming on board after the 1st of the year.  Sounded like "inhouse" like the "Jewel" class ships or maybe something like the Jean Ann Ryan productions.

New productions are supposedly “in development” but I’m not aware of any announcements or details as to what will replace the current/past shows or when. Color me very skeptical.

But,, they just installed a Broadway show on the brand new Viva.... so they aren't all old school cruise shows. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Making reservations for shows on big ships is common across the cruise industry. It is not an NCL thing. If you were on Royal bigger ships, you should have to reserve theater shows, ice chows, aqua shows. It is all about crowd control. The theater on the Encore holds just shy of 900 people. We sailed with 4260 last week. You can't have all 4260 show up on the last day last show and be disappointed that they didn't get one of the 900 seats. 

Totally understand the need on a megaship. I’m just more of midsize ship kind of person.

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Shows on the Encore last week (also realizing that itinerary had several very late port calls, so entertainment was light on the nights people were ashore)

image.thumb.png.1801980342596d8987dca7304cda18ef.png

Thanks!

I ready your trip report thread last night and found it very helpful. I was very glad to hear that reservations are now not required for the comedy shows.

2 hours ago, cxc362 said:

Thanks!

I ready your trip report thread last night and found it very helpful. I was very glad to hear that reservations are now not required for the comedy shows.

With only one production show, they are putting Comedy, magic, and Beatles in the theater on some of the other nights. 1 night was just a movie. 1 night there was nothing in the theater. 

Since we don’t like the crowds in the Cavern Club and The Social, seeing the shows in the theater is fine for us. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

With only one production show, they are putting Comedy, magic, and Beatles in the theater on some of the other nights. 1 night was just a movie. 1 night there was nothing in the theater. 

Since we don’t like the crowds in the Cavern Club and The Social, seeing the shows in the theater is fine for us. 

Thanks again. That will work out well for us too.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shows on the Encore last week (also realizing that itinerary had several very late port calls, so entertainment was light on the nights people were ashore)

image.thumb.png.1801980342596d8987dca7304cda18ef.png

Thank you, this is very helpful.  A little disappointing, but helpful.  I had always heard NCL had the best shows; but didn't realize it was quite like this.  This is a solo cruise for me, so it will be fine, just not what I hoped for.  (I did a really impulse booking on reputation and really didn't research before jumping. If I had researched I would have come to my sense and not spent so much money on my solo trip and just done a staycation or something...)