Fusina, the nightmare

PaulaJK

We boarded Mariner today. Anyone who is disabled or who has mobility issues or medical problems should seriously consider not booking a cruise embarking in Venice. JMO, of course. We took a water taxi (110 E) to the Marine Terminal. Agents met the taxi and took the luggage then instructed us about a long walk to the terminal. We were earlier than printed check in but there were over a hundred people in line..not your usual Regent experience. A lovely Belgium couple on their new to Regent said that it was like MSC. We asked an agent for a wheelchair for my husband who has a respiratory condition and was short of breath in the ninety degree heat.  ..’all taken’. Eventually we proceeded thru desk check in, then a security similar to an airport. The boarding pass was never perused. We were then directed to another walk to reach a ‘bus or boat’. ( there was no boat). This was not a luxury experience. It did not provide that usual fun, exciting welcome but rather was debilitating. 

We had the exact same issue with the Silverseas Dawn. The Marine terminal has either no staff or they don't speak English or they are non-existent. With the treatment we had due to the new rules and the ships in Trieste, we will never sail in or out of Venice again. Love the city but will only fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up on the problems of embarking in Venice. It sounds like the terminal is failing to accommodate persons with disabilities. There is probably no law in Italy that requires this. We have one in the USA, but it seems widely ignored — even here. I’m pretty sure that Regent has no control over this port terminal. If this is the case, all Regent can do is to eliminate it for embarkation. Until then, it’s up to us to avoid cruises that embark there.

Somewhat answering my own question above, I had my TA contact Regent about adding their transfer from the hotel to the Venice Cruise Terminal (aka Marittima).  By way of background, we booked our flights through Regent, arriving early, and are staying at the cruise hotel but we did not book the hotel through Regent.  So, we're on our own for transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  Regent did, however, offer to allow us to buy it from them (some on CC.com have said you could not if you didn't buy the hotel through Regent).  The charge would be $349 for two. 

In comparison, a private water taxi would be less than half that price.  The official site of Venice's water taxi consortium, https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en, quotes a price of €145 for up to 10 pax and 10 bags; each additional bag is €5.  It also appears we could take the water bus (vaporetto).  Linea Blu stops at the Hilton Molino Stucky and then it is one-stop, 9 minutes to the Tronchetto stop and then the moving walkway to the cruise terminal.  That fare would be €8 each plus €3 additional if we have more than one suitcase and one carry-on each.  This is, of course, showing what the map and the internet says, not yet an experienced reality.  (We did take a vaporetto from our hotel to the airport on our last visit to Venice and it was fine, but neither of us have any mobility challenges so that could make a difference to one's planning.)

It is apparent Venice wants to severely limit cruise passengers.  Even before, a cruise visit is not the best way to see Venice   Venice becomes a totally different place when the cruisers and other day trippers leave.  The best way to see venice is fly in, take a water taxi  (not the Vaporetto) and experience the thrill and excitement of arriving.  Water taxi to a hotel (pick a nice one) and stay at least three days.  Take a nice cruise elsewhere.🍷

• Like 3

Definitely do water taxi! An experience on my bucket list, we had a wonderfully gracious captain who let me stand next to him as we entered from the airport. He gave us a long tour of several canals, pointing out landmarks, as we made our way to the private dock at Gritti Palace. We also took a water taxi from there to cruise terminal, but that captain didn’t speak English & wasn’t as outgoing. Still better than schlepping luggage on a vaporetto.

• Like 1

We're planning on taking a water taxi from the airport to the hotel for our stay in Venice prior to our cruise.  According to the map, it is one stop (9 minutes) from our hotel to the cruise port area on the vaporetto -- and €16 versus €145.  We took the vaporetto from our hotel to the airport on our previous visit to Venice (with luggage) and it worked out fine.

What we're trying to find out is the exact terminal Regent is using at Marittima as there are multiple ones.  If you have had experience boarding there this year, please let us know which terminal was used.

Many thanks, 

Just echoing what rcandkc and Jim Avery posted,   we were supposed to go on voyager this October to Venice.  Regent made some excuse that voyager needed drydock and changed and shortened the itinerary ending in Rome.  They gave a good discount on the fare to stay booked and with 4 days shorter.  As others had said we will stay in Rome at the Cavalieri 5nights, hit Florence for 3 nights and then frecciarosa high speed train to Venice and the Londra palace has arranged a private pickup for our group of 4.   Then on to Milan for a few days before we fly back (regent air) Probably a better way to see Italy though the packing and unpacking is a bit of a hassel, but avoiding long shore-ex bus rides to Rome and Florence is a good offset.

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, newlondon said:

You are in for a treat at the Londra Palace. Try to get one of their lagoon facing rooms. Some even have a balcony!

Top Floor Junior Suite with panoramic Lagoon view Terrace   Had to use the deposit I had from the covid days they have been very gracious letting me carry it.  

On 9/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, loriva said:

Somewhat answering my own question above, I had my TA contact Regent about adding their transfer from the hotel to the Venice Cruise Terminal (aka Marittima).  By way of background, we booked our flights through Regent, arriving early, and are staying at the cruise hotel but we did not book the hotel through Regent.  So, we're on our own for transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.  Regent did, however, offer to allow us to buy it from them (some on CC.com have said you could not if you didn't buy the hotel through Regent).  The charge would be $349 for two. 

In comparison, a private water taxi would be less than half that price.  The official site of Venice's water taxi consortium, https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en, quotes a price of €145 for up to 10 pax and 10 bags; each additional bag is €5.  It also appears we could take the water bus (vaporetto).  Linea Blu stops at the Hilton Molino Stucky and then it is one-stop, 9 minutes to the Tronchetto stop and then the moving walkway to the cruise terminal.  That fare would be €8 each plus €3 additional if we have more than one suitcase and one carry-on each.  This is, of course, showing what the map and the internet says, not yet an experienced reality.  (We did take a vaporetto from our hotel to the airport on our last visit to Venice and it was fine, but neither of us have any mobility challenges so that could make a difference to one's planning.)

We've done the vaporetto to Maratima many times from the Hilton. Picks you up right outside the hotel. Very easy to do.

Londra Palace calls them terraces.  Use that. 416 is a junior suite with a terrace with seating (not as large as the top floor I don’t think).  We stayed there many times drinking wine and having olives and cheese!

Memories!

Confused by the title of this thread which mentions Fusina.  Then people write of going to Marittima.  Very different locations.  Here is a link to Vaporetto to Fusina.  Hope it works.  Interesting statements as you scroll down.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1t6-kmJSBAxXzKEQIHdXJA1MQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Feuropeforvisitors.com%2Fvenice%2Factv%2Ffusina.htm&usg=AOvVaw33kaW0hpIkuU0t8KtoiRL7&opi=89978449