P&O Cruiser does a Saga Cruise

Dermotsgirl

The obvious way to get a lot more space - at least on Aurora and Arcadia, where ships' photographers seem to be a thing of the past - would be to reuse the huge amount of space currently given over to a non-existent photo gallery.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Pass judgement when they tell you how it was on returning home compared with other lines, and report back, please.

Will do for sure

Like I've already said I'm sure they will love it

But it's the price which upsets me. 

It's OTT but Saga are clearly great at promoting what they offer

15 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

The obvious way to get a lot more space - at least on Aurora and Arcadia, where ships' photographers seem to be a thing of the past - would be to reuse the huge amount of space currently given over to a non-existent photo gallery.

I think the photographers are considered very much redundant on these two ships for the simple reason the repeat passengers have been there done that.  However on Arvia, Iona and Britannia the photographer is much sought after by families etc so has a big income stream.  

On Britannia for several years the area was hosting a beauty outlet and an electronic shop.  In December last year the beauty outlet remained despite the gradual reappearance of the photographer.  

With digital photography being the way there is in my opinion no need for any space on any ship to be handed over to banks of printed photographs and a decent bit of reimagining of the areas is overdue.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Will do for sure

Like I've already said I'm sure they will love it

But it's the price which upsets me. 

It's OTT but Saga are clearly great at promoting what they offer

Best be careful not to start telling everyone how cheap is best ICF.  Our esteemed and much respected board host is a big Saga cruiser along with quite a few others who post here.  You obviously wouldn't sail Saga as you don't consider balconies important or worthwhile.  Others however wouldn't sail without one and the AI on Saga is also a big attraction.

Personally I dislike the Saga brand in all things - land based holidays and insurance included - but many others value it for it's small ships and low numbers.  It's their money (including your parents) so let's not you or I as non believers start knocking the product we have no intention of using.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Best be careful not to start telling everyone how cheap is best ICF.  Our esteemed and much respected board host is a big Saga cruiser along with quite a few others who post here.  You obviously wouldn't sail Saga as you don't consider balconies important or worthwhile.  Others however wouldn't sail without one and the AI on Saga is also a big attraction.

Personally I dislike the Saga brand in all things - land based holidays and insurance included - but many others value it for it's small ships and low numbers.  It's their money (including your parents) so let's not you or I as non believers start knocking the product we have no intention of using.

Thanks

(Although  I prefer to use the world value is best rather than cheap is best) 

But duly noted Megabear!

I guess it's great that so many older people can still afford to pay their prices

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think the photographers are considered very much redundant on these two ships for the simple reason the repeat passengers have been there done that.  However on Arvia, Iona and Britannia the photographer is much sought after by families etc so has a big income stream.  

On Britannia for several years the area was hosting a beauty outlet and an electronic shop.  In December last year the beauty outlet remained despite the gradual reappearance of the photographer.  

With digital photography being the way there is in my opinion no need for any space on any ship to be handed over to banks of printed photographs and a decent bit of reimagining of the areas is overdue.

Princess have made what would have been the photo gallery on Sky into an extended bar and music venue for the Crown Grill steakhouse.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 12:23 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

Even so, the full fare (without discount) is quoted at being over £1000 more in the current online brochure than it was in the paper brochure we had at the time of booking. 

We had 35% off the lower full fare, so I think we had a good deal. 

I wouldn’t book this cruise right now - I couldn’t bring myself to pay a five figure sum for it! 

Sounds like Saga are hard work. Book at the right time...not the wrong time..sit where you are told......Pass 🤣

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds like Saga are hard work. Book at the right time...not the wrong time..sit where you are told......Pass 🤣

Have you been on a Saga Cruise?. Yes they are more expensive but look at what you get for your money. I have been on both P&O & Saga since Covid & its like comparing Travelodge to a five star hotel!. With regard to the comment "Book at the right time etc" this applies to all Cruise Lines but at least Saga give you a guarantee that if the price drops below what you pay an upgrade of OBC is given. Don't knock until you have tried it!.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

Have you been on a Saga Cruise?. Yes they are more expensive but look at what you get for your money. I have been on both P&O & Saga since Covid & its like comparing Travelodge to a five star hotel!. With regard to the comment "Book at the right time etc" this applies to all Cruise Lines but at least Saga give you a guarantee that if the price drops below what you pay an upgrade of OBC is given. Don't knock until you have tried it!.

Perhaps, when I grow up....The benefits have been well promoted by the Saga fans for years. My choice is...no thanks.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

With regard to the comment "Book at the right time etc" this applies to all Cruise Lines but at least Saga give you a guarantee that if the price drops below what you pay an upgrade of OBC is given. Don't knock until you have tried it!.

But if Saga is almost all inclusive, what is the benefit of giving the price drop in OBC, unless any unspent is refunded to you at the end of the cruise?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that I don't care for the other aspects of Saga, insurance etc., but IMO the standard of the two new ocean going ships is up  to that of the other expensive lines, like Seabourn, Silversea and Regent, and the actual travel to the ship and back is an extra.  To me it is fair to compare prices with those lines, and if addition you enjoy the 'British' type things on board, like a passenger choir, art and other  hobby lessons, classical music and the odd jazz concert you would prefer Saga.  The fact that the passengers are essentially British and middle aged or above is something everyone will have their own opinion on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Thanks

(Although  I prefer to use the world value is best rather than cheap is best) 

But duly noted Megabear!

I guess it's great that so many older people can still afford to pay their prices

Now look what you've gone and done!!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I agree that I don't care for the other aspects of Saga, insurance etc., but IMO the standard of the two new ocean going ships is up  to that of the other expensive lines, like Seabourn, Silversea and Regent, and the actual travel to the ship and back is an extra.  To me it is fair to compare prices with those lines, and if addition you enjoy the 'British' type things on board, like a passenger choir, art and other  hobby lessons, classical music and the odd jazz concert you would prefer Saga.  The fact that the passengers are essentially British and middle aged or above is something everyone will have their own opinion on.

This all sounds lovely and no question passengers on these cruise ships are having a lovely cruise

There will never be agreement on this sort of subject; some people have the money to do it and like to spend it that way.  Others just as well off who love cruises prefer to do more cruises, or spend on other things which are extra to basic living.

We are all lucky if we can afford to cruise at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

May I respectfully question your post Fatboy?

I've stayed in Travel Lodge. I've stayed in 5 star hotels. And I've cruised with P and O.

So this is a defence of P and O

On Arvia I have my favourite places as follows where I like to spend most of my time on board:

1) Sat at the pool bar drinking hand made cocktails (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge. I don't think I can do that with Saga? Only a minority of 5 star Hotels offer swim up pool bars). I've never been unable to get 2 seats at the swim up pool bar on Arvia to date whenever I wanted. I will tell everyone if that ever happens

2) Watching fabulous live musicians in the intimate 710 Club whilst sipping superb hand made Negroni cocktails served to my table  (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge. I don't think I can do that with Saga nightly. Only a minority of 5 star Hotels offer live musicians in their bar nightly. And if they do not of this quality)

3) Watching live shows in a state of the art theatre   (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge, very few 5 star hotels have theatres. None have the quality of entertainment nightly on stage. None have the sound and lights quality with video etc. Do saga have state of the art theatres with this quality singers and dancers and entertainers nightly?)

4) Watching films in the Cinema. (Current films. Can't do in a Travel Lodge. Can't  do in a 5 star hotel. Can I go to the cinema and watch current films on Saga?)

5) In the state of the art gym with classes available all through the  cruise. And never busy compared to the very best gyms and health clubs in the UK (Can't do at Travel lodge, most 5 star hotels have a Gym or fitness room. Not to this level though. I imagine Saga has a gym. I can't imagine it's even remotely close to the quality of the gym on Arvia in terms of equipment?)

6) Epicurean - great service and great food and drink (not at Travel Lodge, will find good restaurants and great restaurants in 5 star hotels but not always this quality. Saga will have nice restaurants and great food and service no doubt). 

7) Limelight Club great meal with great cabaret and cocktails (can't do at Travel Lodge. Very very few 5 star hotels offer this. Do saga have a cabaret restaurant?)

😎

😎 Crows Nest to enjoy a fabulous view that's often moving when I'm there, drink hand made cocktails served at the table whilst listening to a superb pianist (can't do at Travel Lodge. 5 star hotels don't offer this. I assume Saga have their equivalent)

9) The Quays food court when I want quick food  (can't do at Travel Lodge. 5 star hotels don't offer this. I assume Saga don't have an equivalent?)

10) MDRs (calm relaxed dining  with nice service on my own with a table for 2 not bang next to another one. Not available at Travel Lodge. Can do at 5 star hotels. Can't do on Saga now apparently? Without having to chat with the couple 2 inches to your side?)

That's off the top of my head

So there's my 10 goto places on Arvia. 

Nothing like Travel Lodge at all. Not remotely close.

Better or matching any 5 star Hotel in the world on fact

But my questions back to you are:

How many  of those 10 above can Saga actually match or offer me something better?

I bet it's less than half?

(Edit no idea why I've got smiley faces with sunglasses in my post nor how to remove them?) Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is there a location anywhere on Saga on a sea day where anyone can enjoy a cocktail  nicer than sat in the Pool Bar on Arvia?

Alongside approximately 20 ish other passengers

And on evening is there a venue anywhere on Saga to compare with the quality of live music and quality of cocktails than 710 Club?

Alongside approximately 100 other passengers

Until there is why would I pay 3 or 4 times more to sail with Saga?

When I'm totally happy with what I'm getting?

I would pay more if I could be shown a better experience than what I'm getting? But I need to justify it

But I'm certainly not getting Travel Lodge

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I'm sure it's lovely if you like all that.  I get all those types of things on Cunard and very much prefer the company of international guests overall.  Much as I like P&O I much prefer sharing time with other nationalities whilst on a cruise and although I'm well inside the "older" target of Saga I think it would not suit me at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is there a location anywhere on Saga on a sea day where anyone can enjoy a cocktail  nicer than sat in the Pool Bar on Arvia?

And on evening is there a venue anywhere on Saga to compare with the quality of live music and quality of cocktails than 710 Club?

Alongside approximately 100 other passengers

Until there is why would I pay 3 or 4 times more to sail with Saga?

When I'm totally happy with what I'm getting?

I would pay more if I could be shown a better experience than what I'm getting? But I need to justify it

But I'm certainly not getting Travel Lodge

Arvia fan club going well then!  

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Arvia fan club going well then!  

I'm defending P and O but with my experience on Arvia! Lol

Away from arvia and Iona I can't even find a place to compare with 710 club anywhere near where I live. I yearn  for that place on an evening!

Lol

So someone telling me I'm staying at Travel Lodge I need to question

And I can't believe saga have anything like it either 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm defending P and O but with my experience on Arvia! Lol

Away from arvia and Iona I can't even find a place to compare with 710 club anywhere near where I live. I yearn  for that place on an evening!

Lol

So someone telling me I'm staying at Travel Lodge I need to question

And I can't believe saga have anything like it either 

They have Jools Holland who does the esteemed Mr Barlow's job as their music ambassador.  In my humble opinion a rather good offering.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't know about Saga but I can confirm on 8 seadays on Arvia in May I never got a sniff of being able to do that as the swim up bar was being used as a snorkel pit for kids under the direction of the kid's club representative. 20 ish other passengers ... probably about right as the area is very small and not able to cater for many more!

I'm all for comparison ICF but your experience is not exactly atypical of what the Arvia cruiser has experienced through the Summer months in Europe.  

What your requirements are and what the Saga cruiser wants are irrelevant in comparing because quite simply it's like chalk and cheese in every respect.  As I said earlier in the thread, your views and mine really are not valid in this instance, we can't compare what we haven't/have no wish to try.

As for Travelodge, people like to be witty and very much like the famous "Mickey Mouse" quotes from years back the answer is a multi million pound/dollar organisation must be doing something right because people like the product.  I've only stayed in one in recent years. It was "well worn" but clean and for one night to attend a football match perfectly adequate. 

Originating from where I do I'm so used to derogatory comments (I'm from Essex!) they just sail over my head after all these years so I can't be bothered to even rise to the bait.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I don't know about Saga but I can confirm on 8 seadays on Arvia in May I never got a sniff of being able to do that as the swim up bar was being used as a snorkel pit for kids under the direction of the kid's club representative. 20 ish other passengers ... probably about right as the area is very small and not able to cater for many more!

I'm all for comparison ICF but your experience is not exactly atypical of what the Arvia cruiser has experienced through the Summer months in Europe.  

What your requirements are and what the Saga cruiser wants are irrelevant in comparing because quite simply it's like chalk and cheese in every respect.  As I said earlier in the thread, your views and mine really are not valid in this instance, we can't compare what we haven't/have no wish to try.

As for Travelodge, people like to be witty and very much like the famous "Mickey Mouse" quotes from years back the answer is a multi million pound/dollar organisation must be doing something right because people like the product.  I've only stayed in one in recent years. It was "well worn" but clean and for one night to attend a football match perfectly adequate. 

Originating from where I do I'm so used to derogatory comments (I'm from Essex!) they just sail over my head after all these years so I can't be bothered to even rise to the bait.

Their won't be kids snorkelling in the pool bar on Arvia when I travel in Feb

I will go and get the captain  involved if I have to

That's my haven on seadays

Lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

There will never be agreement on this sort of subject; some people have the money to do it and like to spend it that way.  Others just as well off who love cruises prefer to do more cruises, or spend on other things which are extra to basic living.

We are all lucky if we can afford to cruise at all.

No luck involved.