AARP /HAL Gift Cards

mcrcruiser

20 minutes ago, polphi said:

Does anyone know what the cutoff time is (if any) for depositing these AARP gift cards into your OBC before sailing?

I called HAL and even their supervisor wasn't sure.  We're sailing on Sunday Sept 3, hoping it isn't too late.  TIA. 

I believe it's the same three day before sailing when the website locks you out of "managing your cruise".  You can do it yourself from that page, BTW and use the gift cards to pay when you check out if you are still outside of the three day window, which you are.  It's under packages and gifts.  You can buy various increments of shipboard credit and they apply it to your folio once aboard.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Crystalspin and others! 

I ordered 1 gift card ... will input when email received to pay down my balance.  If it works will buy the rest this month and next. Right on time, since payment is due 9/10. Can't believe I haven't known about this benefit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

I believe it's the same three day before sailing when the website locks you out of "managing your cruise".  You can do it yourself from that page, 

Thanks, but I can't see where it can be done from the "managing your cruise" page...would someone kindly elaborate?  TIA!

16 minutes ago, DuckInntheH2O said:

I placed my order about 6 hours ago and haven't received a confirmation yet in inbox or spam folder. Perhaps because it's my first order?

They typically come pretty fast.  You should call AARP and tell them you never received it. 

3 hours ago, DuckInntheH2O said:

Thanks Crystalspin and others! 

I ordered 1 gift card ... will input when email received to pay down my balance.  If it works will buy the rest this month and next. Right on time, since payment is due 9/10. Can't believe I haven't known about this benefit.

There is a limit of 5 gift cards purchased per month. So you have through Thurs to buy 5 this month and Friday your allotment will rest to 5. The $$ doesn't matter in terms of the monthly limits, that's based on quantity. 

11 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

They typically come pretty fast.  You should call AARP and tell them you never received it. 

Just called AARP since gift card email (ordered yesterday afternoon) hasn't shown up, but is posted to my charge card. Was told I have to wait 24 hours before they can act on non-receipt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DuckInntheH2O said:

Just called AARP since gift card email (ordered yesterday afternoon) hasn't shown up, but is posted to my charge card. Was told I have to wait 24 hours before they can act on non-receipt.

I have same issue. When you were in the order process, did you enter your email or name anywhere? All I did was pay the cart and then the transaction ended. Hopefully they know who I am as I was signed in to my AARP account, but very sloppy order process. 

10 minutes ago, MomentsNotice said:

I have same issue. When you were in the order process, did you enter your email or name anywhere? All I did was pay the cart and then the transaction ended. Hopefully they know who I am as I was signed in to my AARP account, but very sloppy order process. 

I was logged in under my membership number. When I called AARP this morning, they confirmed that my email was correct on their records (its the same one that receives their newsletters).

I also noted that my mailing address was shown on the screen under the space to enter credit card info (but not email address).

If you expect to have unused gift card OBC, do not throw away the paper / PDF confirmations.  If funds are refunded there, you will have a heck of a time trying to sort it out without the card numbers & PINs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just called AARP and was told there was a technical issue with my account and that caused the hold up. He bumped issue to IT. Could take 3 business days to receive cards. Suggest anyone who didn't receive their gift cards shortly after ordering calls AARP to see if technical issue.  

16 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

did you go to the "packages and gifts" section.  That's where you buy onboard credit.

I did.  There it lets you purchase OBC with a credit card.  But there is nothing about depositing / applying gift cards...?

I sure wish I had tried this earlier! I was able to book my shore excursions through the ship with the HAL GC purchased from AARP with our mileage earning credit card. Happy camper to save money! Thanks to all for sharing the wisdom.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, polphi said:

I did.  There it lets you purchase OBC with a credit card.  But there is nothing about depositing / applying gift cards...?

When you check out there is the option to pay using gift cards or credit cards. There’s a little pull down above the credit card section that says “apply gift cards”. Just click on the arrowhead. I have done it myself so know it’s there. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, polphi said:

Put the OBC in cart, check out, look just above credit card info form and there is a check mark for gift cards. , click and the form opens.  

• Like 1

For those looking to purchase HAL gift cards at 10% discount from AARP,   use the AARP link Crystalspin previously provided.

I learned from the AARP rep tonight that you need to turn off ad blockers (I use a web browser called Brave that blocks all ads) and verify that the name and address displayed on the AARP payment page match your credit card records. I was told these are the 2 main reasons that hold up your gift card email.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lactmom4sons said:

When do AARP gift cards expire after purchase?

The 2 I bought (and used) do not show any expiry date.  My cards were emailed to me promptly and pretty much just showed a image of a card with card & PIN #s.

• Like 2