Britannia Club Dining For the First Timer

Megabear2

Although I have sailed a great many times with Cunard (Diamond World Club) I have never ventured beyond the Britannia dining room.  For next year on Queen Anne we have opted to try Club, mainly for the dining feature of your own allocated dining table without a time restriction.

I am aware there is no guarantee of a table for two in the restaurant and would like to know how things operate if you are allocated a shared table.  For instance if we were put on a table for four or six and we eat at different times to our table sharing counterparts how would it work? If we say down at 6.15 and they wandered in at 7.00pm what happens?

For personal reasons connected to mental health I might encounter a problem on a shared table such as this so would like to be fore warned and prepared so to speak.  Ideally the request to Cunard for a table for two may be successful but my travelling companion will not eat in shared company not known to us and I need to plan accordingly as I apparently may be way down the list as apparently the earliest bookings get first selection. Thank you.

I would say a greater proportion of Club seats in the other 3 vessels are 2 seaters than in main Britannia so I would say it is even more likely you would get a 2 seater there. With the caveat that none of us has seen Queen Anne yet, but from all we are hearing it's probably going to be more targetted at younger travellers and thus even more 2 table inclined. But just be candid with the Maître d' - I cannot for one moment think they would want you to be uncomfortable, and will simply make it happen.

• Like 2

On the 3 current queens we’v

54 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Just out of interest, if it’s not intrusive, have you always managed a table for two in Britannia so far? If not, how did that work?

On the three current ships, and we’ve taken many cruises, we’ve always managed to get a table for two In Britannia.

In the Grills or Club you will be served when you arrive.

If your table companions arrive at a similar time you may be served together but if not the waiting staff are used to dealing with people at different stages of a meal whether they are sharing a table or not. This applies for all 3 meals.

Just now, Host Hattie said:

The OP has requested a table for 2, the question was about what happens if they are allocated a sharing table. 

Well, I don't think they will be allocated a sharing table, because, as my son told me, mostly it's tables for 2.

We only travel QG and always have a table for 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Well, I don't think they will be allocated a sharing table, because, as my son told me, mostly it's tables for 2.

We only travel QG and always have a table for 2.

But some of the tables for 2 are quite frankly not! Less than 10 inches between tables I don’t class as separate tables!

Having only experienced all categories on the Vistas I think the Club dining is the best experience. Certainly as far as space between tables and service. I would be a complete covert if club had a dedicated outside space.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Just out of interest, if it’s not intrusive, have you always managed a table for two in Britannia so far? If not, how did that work?

I normally sail Cunard solo and it's not me with the problem so am happy to share.  Ironically on my last Cunard cruise in May on QM2 I asked to share and they kept saying no and making me eat solo!

My problem is my husband who psychologically cannot eat with people he does not know.  If someone joined us midway into a meal he would simply stop eating, he wouldn't leave but just woukd not eat anymore.

He does cruise with me on P&O as we select freedom dining, but his cruises are basically only at Christmas to the Caribbean or on one occasion with his family. It's a rare event for us to eat out at home as well.

We did one Queen Elizabeth cruise together to scatter my mother's ashes from her but we had a table for two in Britannia on that occasion.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I normally sail Cunard solo and it's not me with the problem so am happy to share.  Ironically on my last Cunard cruise in May on QM2 I asked to share and they kept saying no and making me eat solo!

I would be astonished if you didn’t get a table for two. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

My problem is my husband who psychologically cannot eat with people he does not know.  If someone joined us midway into a meal he would simply stop eating, he wouldn't leave but just woukd not eat anymore.

That's a relatively well known mental health set of conditions (which can be debilitating to children at school, or those in communal establishments like the armed services). ARFID is the most common of these conditions. 

I would certainly mention this to the Maître d' as soon as you board, after checking the card in your stateroom. I almost wonder whether it's worth putting ARFID (or whatever it is) on the booking but I fear that if land-based managers see it they will over-react. Mental health conditions are no rarer than other health conditions but the prejudice it can invoke is something else.

If QA follows QV, QE and QM2 - the layouts of which I have seen, you would usually only get a shared table if you went out of your way to get such a table. As I'm sure you are aware Open Dining is now well entrenched in Britannia and if I go off peak I've never once had anything other than a table for two (I'm a solo passenger).

But I'd almost guarantee that the Maître d' would be helpful, why in fact would they not want to resolve this to your total satisfaction? It would be very much in the interest of him, his staff and the other guests to simply find a suitable table, of which there are many, and perhaps one not so close to others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pushpit said:
13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

That's a relatively well known mental health set

I can't imagine that if you are candid with the Maître d', not only will you get your requested table, but you are likely to regularly get the same waiter/staff. They've seen it all, and in my experience (a serious Garlic allergy), the staff will do their best to ensure you have a great dining experience. I was at a large table with a number of solo professionals (including the UK immigration officer and the scheduled concert pianist.  At both lunch and dinner the waiter would quietly whisper in my eye what he recommended or what the chef was prepared to make just for me and one other person somewhere in the dining room with a similar issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ddgarner1 said:

I can't imagine that if you are candid with the Maître d', not only will you get your requested table, but you are likely to regularly get the same waiter/staff.

Wouldn’t it always be the case in Club that you have the same waiters all the time? That was certainly the case when we were in Princess Grill and has also always been the case when we have been on fixed dining with P&O. The only times that we have ever had different waiters is with freedom dining, as you end up using different tables most times. 

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Wouldn’t it always be the case in Club that you have the same waiters all the time? That was certainly the case when we were in Princess Grill and has also always been the case when we have been on fixed dining with P&O. The only times that we have ever had different waiters is with freedom dining, as you end up using different tables most times. 

Sometimes at lunch on port days, when there are very few passengers aboard, your waiter may be having some well deserved time off.

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Sometimes at lunch on port days, when there are very few passengers aboard, your waiter may be having some well deserved time off.

That makes sense, but wouldn’t it be the case that, breaks aside, you would always have the same waiters in Club? 

53 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That makes sense, but wouldn’t it be the case that, breaks aside, you would always have the same waiters in Club? 

Yes you would. Plus it's not that big a space that you will generally see the same staff anyway.

With one exception we have always had the same waiters in all four restaurant categories, including the dinner sittings in Britannia. Last October we were in Britannia Club on the QM2, the starboard side restaurant.  We were served at various times by what seemed every waiter in the restaurant. We couldn't figure out who the "main waiter" was.  The service was excellent from all.  From the comments above this must have been an anomaly.

Hello! This is what I recommend:

1.  Go to your cabin ASAP after boarding and find your Britannia Club table card with the number.

2.  Go to the dining room and find out where and what kind of table it is.  If you are okay with it there is nothing else to do.  Enjoy your voyage.  

3.  If you are NOT satisfied with your table, you should meet with the MD ASAP.  The sailing day MD hours are posted in the program.  Do not delay.  Prior to meeting with the MD, scout the dining room and make note of the tables you would be happy with.  Share those table numbers with the MD who will no doubt do everything he can to help you.  I'm not getting into a tipping debate however you may want to let the MD vaguely know he will find you most grateful if he can help with your goal.  And follow through!  

Good luck!

Deck Chair.

PSL I just returned from a 28-day sailing on the QM2.     This was my first time since covid.  I was astonished at the huge number of tables for two added in the Britannia Dining room.  If you wanted a table for two it was not a problem.  The issue is that many of the tables for two were VERY close to each other, so you really weren't alone.  FYI.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@deck chair

Thanks for the useful and very specific suggestions. My wife and I have booked Britannia Club on the QA for a 14-night Northern Europe/ Baltic sailing next June and July. On our previous Cunard cruises (QM2 and QE), we have had tables for two, late seating, in the Britannia dining room, and we want to be sure we get a table for two in Britannia Club. 

As an American, I'm used to tipping, so I'm not averse to "showing my appreciation" to a Maitre d' who can "get the job done."

Thanks again.

Jim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

@deck chair

Thanks for the useful and very specific suggestions. My wife and I have booked Britannia Club on the QA for a 14-night Northern Europe/ Baltic sailing next June and July. On our previous Cunard cruises (QM2 and QE), we have had tables for two, late seating, in the Britannia dining room, and we want to be sure we get a table for two in Britannia Club. 

As an American, I'm used to tipping, so I'm not averse to "showing my appreciation" to a Maitre d' who can "get the job done."

Thanks again.

Jim

I doubt there will be a problem. 

Before or after? i.e. bribe or thanks? Remember Cunard is not in America. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I doubt there will be a problem. 

Before or after? i.e. bribe or thanks? Remember Cunard is not in America. 

Quite. If a change can be facilitated, it will be without any aid of 'the before'. If it became known a M'd was receptive to 'befores', I doubt he would last too long in the job.

To indicate 'thanks' would be forthcoming if change could be facilitated is demeaning to the role of a M'd.

To  show gratitude at the end of the cruise is a personal matter.

• Like 6