Hotel close to acropolis with roof top restaurant/bar? Athens

maggieq

We just arrived in Athens yesterday.  We are at the Athens Gate Hotel.  Beautiful view of the Acropolis from their 8th floor restaurant.  We can also see the Temple of Zeus  which is nearby, however, it is encased in scaffolding.  

21 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Matt Barrett runs the best independent online guide to all things Greece and Athens.

You may find something here of interest for your trip.

https://www.athensguide.com/

Thanks for posting this. I was discouraged to see how many hotels are already booked up for next July, But I believe I have found a nice one thanks to Matt's guide. 

1 hour ago, bwaz said:

Thanks for posting this. I was discouraged to see how many hotels are already booked up for next July, But I believe I have found a nice one thanks to Matt's guide. 

Delighted it worked out for you.

I've been using Matt's guides for years.

They're perfectly pitched between Lonely Planet backpackers and TripAdvisor all things to all people and remarkable work by a one man band 

We're currently staying in a delightful hotel overlooking the harbour in Syros recommended by him.

Whisper it quietly but it's a wonderful Greek island virtually devoid of international tourists, high rise hotels and resorts but popular with Greeks.

Great food, fantastic service and excellent prices.

A good dinner for two tonight including very good local wine cost us €29.

Edited by Baggy178

2 hours ago, bwaz said:

I doubt they are booked up for next summer. European hotels don't put their availability out at 365 days...usually they will release in November or even later.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I doubt they are booked up for next summer. European hotels don't put their availability out at 365 days...usually they will release in November or even later.

Total nonsense I'm afraid.

You can book any hotel in Europe a year in advance or even longer.

In fact such advance booking is imperative in some cases - try finding a reasonably-priced hotel or indeed a free bed in any European city where Taylor Swift is touring next summer.

US tourists looking to book in Dublin for the weekend of her two concerts next June are in for a big shock.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

In fact such advance booking is imperative in some cases - try finding a reasonably-priced hotel or indeed a free bed in any European city where Taylor Swift is touring next summer.

US tourists looking to book in Dublin for the weekend of her two concerts next June are in for a big shock.

I just checked.

Around €300 a night is the cheapest hotel unless as a couple you're prepared to share a dormitory in a hostel where you'll pay €180.

Booking.com taking bookings in Athens till Dec 2024.

5 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Not total nonsense. Just did two weeks in Europe in June. Our choice of hotel in Paris was not available to book until September of last year. As it was an award stay, we wanted that hotel.

We frequently stay in Romantik Inns in the summer. They frequently don't come available for summer until late in the previous year.

But from reading your previous posts, I know having any experience or knowledge different from you is impossible.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not total nonsense. Just did two weeks in Europe in June. Our choice of hotel in Paris was not available to book until September of last year. As it was an award stay, we wanted that hotel.

We frequently stay in Romantik Inns in the summer. They frequently don't come available for summer until late in the previous year.

But from reading your previous posts, I know having any experience or knowledge different from you is impossible.

Ignoring your personal slight I note you reference a niche German hotel group I've never heard of and a booking using an award scheme.

Speaking as a European bringing a European perspective and knowledge the idea that you can't book a hotel in Athens for a year ahead or that hotels there are somehow withholding inventory is simply preposterous as a quick look at any hotel booking site would show.

Hotels want confirmed bookings as far ahead as possible - unlike airlines they have fixed assets and the same number of beds year round.

How do you think tour companies plan their schedules so far in advance ?

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Why do i keep seeing mention of Hilton but theres nothing on the Hilton site for Athens?

The Hilton is closed, being converted to a Conrad. It is scheduled to re-open later in 2024. I think its the location that causes it to be mentioned.

• Thanks 3