Price guarantee change costs $100 per person?

RomanH

I booked my first cruise on Celebrity Infinity & I'm looking forward to it. Last Friday the price dropped by $200 per person so I called, mentioned the price guarantee -- I haven't paid the whole amount yet, as it's due next month -- & they changed my contract to the new price.

Well, today it dropped another $90 per person. I called & understood nothing the guy said except it'd be a $100 charge per person to rebook since my cabin was already booked. (I got an email with a cabin assignment, if that's what he meant.) He said the charge is for the extra paperwork.

This is nowhere in their price guarantee. Has anyone heard of this before? It doesn't sound legal. Thank you in advance.

Edited by RomanH

I would call back and speak to a different representative.  I don't have personal experience with repricing through Celebrity as I always use a TA but my understanding is that if you refare a cruise you run the risk of losing any additional perks you booked under in your previous booking in favor of whatever is currently being offered.  I haven't heard of a "paperwork fee" but I have heard of a restocking fee...as you are essentially cancelling one booking (restocking it) and creating another.

Also, check your cruise contract for the fine print.  Is there any mention of a paperwork fee?

• Thanks 1

No you need to call back.  If they try this again ask for a supervisor.  You can reprice to prevailing rates at any time before final payment.   Even if you have a Non-refundable deposit.   You are not rebooking you are repricing the existing reservation.

You mentioned cabin being assigned.  Was this a GTY rate?  If so as long as the new rate is also a GTY you should be able to reprice.  It's possible your cabin would be released and you would go back into the pool for re-assignment but I doubt it.

Thank you for the reply. I don't think this is a GTY rate. (I'm new to this & don't really know what that is.) But after I repriced the room last Friday, my account lists a room number (inside stateroom #xxxx) & location (continental deck x forward).

I emailed them a completed Best Price Guarantee form but will still call back tomorrow. Thanks again.

At the top of your invoice under the reservation number the specific category booked is listed.

image.png.dbae48592cf47d77a6d46923b67ed0c8.png

Since you said inside it should be I1 or I2.   If it was a GTY (guarantee) it would be "Z" and should say guaranty or GTY in the description.

Guaranty staterooms, you allow the cruise line to assign whatever room they want generally for a reduced fare.

From your description I doubt you have a GTY rate.  With I1 or I2 you can select whatever available cabin you want in the category you booked.

4 hours ago, RomanH said:

I booked my first cruise on Celebrity Infinity & I'm looking forward to it. Last Friday the price dropped by $200 per person so I called, mentioned the price guarantee -- I haven't paid the whole amount yet, as it's due next month -- & they changed my contract to the new price.

Well, today it dropped another $90 per person. I called & understood nothing the guy said except it'd be a $100 charge per person to rebook since my cabin was already booked. (I got an email with a cabin assignment, if that's what he meant.) He said the charge is for the extra paperwork.

This is nowhere in their price guarantee. Has anyone heard of this before? It doesn't sound legal. Thank you in advance.

I would call back or ask for a supervisor.   You are not "REBOOKING"  you are just adjusting the price.   I have done it often.    One of the reasons I use an Agent -  he handles it for me.

Before you do you should make sure the price you were wishing them to match were apples to apples e.g. AQ2 to AQ2 or Non-Refundable to Non-Refundable.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1