Reduced choice of classics in MDR?

mcoler181

Looking at the new menus that have been posted recently with the new $5 surcharge for additional main courses I see the daily classics have been massively reduced.

No Steak, no Salmon, no Rotisserie chicken, reduced choice of pastas.. Will be travelling with our 9 and 13 year old daughters and if there is nothing they fancy (or us for that matter) on the main choices they would have had plenty of choice on the old classics, not much to choose from on the new one.

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

What kind of meat do they have? Just pork and chicken? Do they ever have lamb? Thinking of booking MSC and would love to see some of the menus.

From the menus I have seen it varies night to night depending on the theme. one night a week they have steak and lobster on the Gala night.

5 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

It would appear comfort classics are not included in the $5 additional entree surcharge so extra meatloaf baby!!!

Yes, they are. An entree is an entree is an entree, no matter what heading it is listed under.

1 hour ago, RandomUser123 said:

Darn it, i was hoping for a loophole 🙂

MSC is  very good at plugging loopholes and stopping passenger manipulation of such things as cruise fares  or other restrictions.

It is why MSC can offer cruises at reasonable rates.

9 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Attached are a few posted from another user from Seaside. 

IMG_0056.thumb.jpeg.3c975e2d8c7edff048b78a73da02fc88.jpeg

May have to have a word with them about the 'V' against the 'Rich Mac and Cheese' ...

If it is vegetarian it can't be Parmesan cheese they are using, and if they are using Parmesan cheese then it can't be vegetarian...

Edited by Mark_T

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

May have to have a word with them about the 'V' against the 'Rich Mac and Cheese' ...

If it is vegetarian it can't be Parmesan cheese they are using, and if they are using Parmesan cheese then it can't be vegetarian...

Huh? I think you are confusing vegetarian with vegan...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Huh? I think you are confusing vegetarian with vegan...

No, it is impossible to get vegetarian Parmesan as it is a DOC controlled product and has to be made using animal rennet.

That may be different on a USA based cruise though as I know that DOC controls are not effective there, if it isn't actually Parmesan then it may be fine as there are alternative vegetarian Italian hard cheeses that can be used to replace Parmesan.

It doesn't directly affect us , but our daughter is vegetarian so we have become more aware of the potential pitfalls, especially in Italian restaurants.

Edited by Mark_T

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

No, it is impossible to get vegetarian Parmesan as it is a DOC controlled product and has to be made using animal rennet.

That may be different on a USA based cruise though as I know that DOC controls are not effective there, if it isn't actually Parmesan then it may be fine as there are alternative vegetarian Italian hard cheeses that can be used to replace Parmesan.

It doesn't directly affect us , but our daughter is vegetarian so we have become more aware of the potential pitfalls, especially in Italian restaurants.

Hello,

I agree with all the above - except for 'not effective' I would have said 'not recognised'. A vegetarian friend had the same argument on  Royal where their final comeback was "our Parmesan *IS* vegetarian". I think it just shows the general contempt the US has for non-US trademarks.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cublet said:

I think it just shows the general contempt the US has for non-US trademarks.

I've spent far too much time living in the USA (Texas) over the years to even attempt to get this distinction across when over there and I'm not even sure it is 'contempt' so much as a genuine lack of awareness

Personally I am not impacted but due to my daughters preferences my awareness is elevated, and in this case, if it wasn't an Italian cruise line who really should know better, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Parmesan is just one of the most obvious ones to focus on in Italian cuisine, and of course pesto is close behind since it is typically made using Parmesan...

Easy mistake to make but as the years go by since Raymond Blanc had to apologise for being unaware, it becomes less and less acceptable.

Anyway, a debate for another thread I guess...

On 8/31/2023 at 1:54 PM, mcoler181 said:

From the menus I have seen it varies night to night depending on the theme. one night a week they have steak and lobster on the Gala night.

Thanks for the info.

On 8/31/2023 at 2:13 PM, mcoler181 said:

Attached are a few posted from another user from Seaside. 

IMG_0053.thumb.jpeg.417d52448465177713ac1648a008158c.jpeg

IMG_0056.thumb.jpeg.3c975e2d8c7edff048b78a73da02fc88.jpeg

IMG_0055.thumb.jpeg.e7d7ad2ea56acc68e73f93e2cae7461a.jpeg

IMG_0106.thumb.jpeg.74ab838abfb4da46fa7124a4bfd477da.jpeg

IMG_0107.thumb.jpeg.1d8b81758b193c1c6ee02aa9bc59aeb8.jpeg

Thanks for the menus.

Where has the Italian root of MSC gone? Mac and cheese as a classic? Really? There is nothing Italian about this. Barbecue meatloaf? Onion rings? Southern-Style Fried chicken?

Sorry, MSC, that is neither fine food nor what you should serve as cruise dinner.

31 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Where has the Italian root of MSC gone? Mac and cheese as a classic? Really? There is nothing Italian about this. Barbecue meatloaf? Onion rings? Southern-Style Fried chicken?

Sorry, MSC, that is neither fine food nor what you should serve as cruise dinner.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the menu is from a US based cruise...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, carlmm said:

They are in shambles.  The buffet on the Seaside in May was the most unimaginative and poorly executed offering I have experienced.