Live from the Pride Greenland and Canada…and a little dance with Idalia

jimbo5544

News Around NOAA

National Program

Fujiwhara Effect

Weather.gov > News Around NOAA > Fujiwhara Effect

When two hurricanes spinning in the same direction pass close enough to each other, they begin an intense dance around their common center. If one hurricane is a lot stronger than the other, the smaller one will orbit it and eventually come crashing into its vortex to be absorbed. Two storms closer in strength can gravitate towards each other until they reach a common point and merge, or merely spin each other around for a while before shooting off on their own paths. In rare occasions, the effect is additive when the hurricanes come together, resulting in one larger storm instead of two smaller ones.

Edited by PC 462
clarity
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Anybody ever hear of two storms merging together?

There was a movie based on a true story in the '90s or early '00s called Perfect Storm with George Clooney about a nor'easter and a hurricane colliding and making a super storm. It was about New England swordfisherman getting caught in it.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

News Around NOAA

National Program

Fujiwhara Effect

Weather.gov > News Around NOAA > Fujiwhara Effect

When two hurricanes spinning in the same direction pass close enough to each other, they begin an intense dance around their common center. If one hurricane is a lot stronger than the other, the smaller one will orbit it and eventually come crashing into its vortex to be absorbed. Two storms closer in strength can gravitate towards each other until they reach a common point and merge, or merely spin each other around for a while before shooting off on their own paths. In rare occasions, the effect is additive when the hurricanes come together, resulting in one larger storm instead of two smaller ones.

Wow thanks.  When I first read it I thought it was a joke.  

10 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

There was a movie based on a true story in the '90s or early '00s called Perfect Storm with George Clooney about a nor'easter and a hurricane colliding and making a super storm. It was about New England swordfisherman getting caught in it.

Saw it!  Hope we do not live it.  Thanks.  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

Legend is docked now.

Since embarkation is delayed one hour, I suppose departure will also be delayed.

I tend to agree, but if seas will be an issue, it might jeopardize arrival in Greenland.  Possible logistics issues.   We will see.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I tend to agree, but if seas will be an issue, it might jeopardize arrival in Greenland.  Possible logistics issues.   We will see.

Here's to hoping not since Greenland would be the whole reason for the cruise. If they would even remotely think there would be any logistical issues with the current scheduled itinerary, especially with tendering since both Greenland ports are tender ports, hopefully they would do something like reverse the itinerary. That would at least, in my mind, give things time to settle down with all those storms brewing. Fingers crossed! 🤞

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Here's to hoping not since Greenland would be the whole reason for the cruise. If they would even remotely think there would be any logistical issues with the current scheduled itinerary, especially with tendering since both Greenland ports are tender ports, hopefully they would do something like reverse the itinerary. That would at least, in my mind, give things time to settle down with all those storms brewing. Fingers crossed! 🤞

I think they understand